A blast from the past for the bumper will boost coffers: 'Empire Gold' plates

Novabus 5000

Lady Liberty and the red, white and blue will soon be purged from New York's license plates.

In their place, in a blast from the bad old days, will be the once familiar blue-and-gold ones.

And guess what, New York drivers: You'll be paying a bit more - $10 more - for plates that toss aside the patriotic tags.

It's all a gimmick to raise money for ailing state coffers.

The Department of Motor Vehicles yesterday unveiled the new plates - which look a lot like ones seen on the street in the 1970s and '80s.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/11/11/2009-11-11_empire_gold_plates_worth_a_mint_to_ny.html#ixzz0WYl3CYJB

post-374-133288581147_thumb.jpg

post-374-133288581147_thumb.jpg

And it will cost you $20.00 more to keep your current plate number,:tdown:

This is the real travesty. I can somewhat understand raising the registration fee, but charging a fee to keep a plate number that you're already assigned is asinine. Real pain in the ass for those of us who have EZPass tags, village parking stickers, college parking stickers, et al.

Well auto drivers don't really "pay their fair share" of expenses associated with road upkeep anyway, so I'm actually OK with this. But honestly it's not enough to fill the deficit. going to be interesting to see what they propose next. Personally I'm up for adding a $1 tax to cigarette packs because I am getting sick of breathing that crap, and it should be milked for every penny because people ought to quit for general public health. If they did, that'd be money back in their pockets they'd have to survive the recession, and there'd also be less heart failure, cancer, etc. which *might* actually keep health care costs right where they are now instead of them going up at an enormous rate every year

Does this mean that the current one (below) will be discontinued?

2009_Stonewall_license-plate.gif

Yea, when your registration expires you will be getting new plates, people expiring in April of 2010 will be the first to get them, the last of the old empire plates should be off the road by March 2012

I'm not feeling this. 1st, the plates themselves aren't terrible looking, it brings me back to my childhood a little bit but it's boring. 2nd, I don't like that fact that they are putting an extra $25 dollars into my registration fee and will add an additional $20 if I want to keep my license number. That's highway robbery right there. And they say they're doing this to enhance security, isn't their another way of doing this without making us pay extra? This place is already expensive enough, damn.

This is the real travesty. I can somewhat understand raising the registration fee, but charging a fee to keep a plate number that you're already assigned is asinine. Real pain in the ass for those of us who have EZPass tags, village parking stickers, college parking stickers, et al.

Totally agreed. I actually prefer the current plates over this retro one.

Well, as a Licence Plate Enthusiast, I would like to see new one come out often, but I don't think it is really 'needed'. Although the new design is pretty simple and clean, I still don't want to be forced to pay money for them. But, either ways if it could improve traffic and maintain everyone is registering their vehicles and have insurance. Then I would definently agree this is a go ahead, :tup: ;)!

Do you collect License Plates too?

The colours are just hideous, plus not to mention they lose any semblance of a New York landmark (i.e. Niagara Falls and New York City) And for what, insufficient funds which nevertheless will be squandered by the greedy lot in Albany, under the guise of a retro-inspired license plate?? I think I'll switch back to my old Connecticut plates because of this.

Archived