Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

Obviously, you haven't been to the south. Unless you're in a major city, it's basically a question of WTF are you doing walking around and why aren't you driving.

Not every place was meant to have sidewalks... We have places near the Spuyten Duyvil Station here in Riverdale without sidewalks and part of it is due to the narrow streets. Some places don't have them because of them wanting to keep the character of the neighborhood. Todt Hill in Staten Island would be an example of a neighborhood that lacks sidewalks. The area is very wealthy so it isn't a money issue in some cases.

SMH at this:

Not every place was meant to have sidewalks... We have places near the Spuyten Duyvil Station here in Riverdale without sidewalks and part of it is due to the narrow streets. Some places don't have them because of them wanting to keep the character of the neighborhood. Todt Hill in Staten Island would be an example of a neighborhood that lacks sidewalks. The area is very wealthy so it isn't a money issue in some cases.

Well, there's no point in having sidewalks if everybody's driving. It's also more stuff to shovel in the winter when it snows.

In some areas, the streets are narrow and it's only some local traffic going down the street, so there's no real harm in walking in the street.

SMH at this: [media=]

[/media]

That's actually a good video. Its very informative, and I don't think that many ppl realize that racism like this actually still occur today. Its a shame really, smh ... I'm glad that some ppl actually defended the woman, that's awesome and it really is the morally right thing to do :D and its sad how some ppl didn't do anything (example of the bystander effect).

That's actually a good video. Its very informative, and I don't think that many ppl realize that racism like this actually still occur today. Its a shame really, smh ... I'm glad that some ppl actually defended the woman, that's awesome and it really is the morally right thing to do :D and its sad how some ppl didn't do anything (example of the bystander effect).

The thing is that, for the first couple who talked to the cashier and said "Yeah, you were right to do that" and all that, I don't think they really felt that way, but sometimes it's just easier to go along with it instead of arguing. Of course, that isn't right, though.

There was another video where they had a White guy try to steal a bike (he was cutting the chain and all that) and he went at it for a while before somebody said something, but then they had a Black kid do the same thing, and instantly a bunch of people came after him.

Actually, the thing that led me to that first video was a link on BrooklynBus' post (Somebody spammed the page and said "We should get rid of all bus line so we don't have to deal with things like this) that showed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtBUKd8cBA

Never underestimate the power of seniors! :D

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I just picked up my repot card. I got a 103.23% average. B)

It had the Regents grades listed, but it only had the US History Regents listed (I got a 99 on that), but not the Physics. I asked the teacher and he said he didn't have any kind of sheet, but I got a 90 or something like that, so I'm good with that.

The thing is that, for the first couple who talked to the cashier and said "Yeah, you were right to do that" and all that, I don't think they really felt that way, but sometimes it's just easier to go along with it instead of arguing. Of course, that isn't right, though.

There was another video where they had a White guy try to steal a bike (he was cutting the chain and all that) and he went at it for a while before somebody said something, but then they had a Black kid do the same thing, and instantly a bunch of people came after him.

Actually, the thing that led me to that first video was a link on BrooklynBus' post (Somebody spammed the page and said "We should get rid of all bus line so we don't have to deal with things like this) that showed this video: [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtBUKd8cBA[/media]

Never underestimate the power of seniors! :D

LMAO!! Another "tough" black guy that thought he would pick on the scared old white guy... Well I guess he'll think twice now... :lol:

LMAO!! Another "tough" black guy that thought he would pick on the scared old white guy... Well I guess he'll think twice now... :lol:

SMH at how it started too. The white guy was talking about how "his boy" was going to shine his shoes for a funeral, and the black guy goes "Oh, why does he have to be Black?" or something like that, when he mentioned nothing about race or anything. And then he says "Maybe I'll get my brother to shine them", and he said "So why he gotta be a brother" or something like that (I didn't realize a White guy could have a Black brother, unless he was a brother from another mother. :ph34r: ). I mean, it was really uncalled for (the guy said he was intoxicated when he said it, but he didn't look drunk).

I was LMAO at some of the videos made in response to that. (On a side note, I didn't realize the Black guy was 50 years old, especially with that maturity level. :o )

I just picked up my repot card. I got a 103.23% average. B)

It had the Regents grades listed, but it only had the US History Regents listed (I got a 99 on that), but not the Physics. I asked the teacher and he said he didn't have any kind of sheet, but I got a 90 or something like that, so I'm good with that.

Good job Bro !

But how did you get a 103 average? Lol I didn't know that was possible :o

Thanks.

AP and Honors classes are weighted higher. So getting a 90 in an AP class is the same as getting a 99 in a regular class (It's 110% weight), and getting a 90 in an Honors class is the same as getting a 94.5 in a regular class (105% weight). So I got a 95 in the AP classes I took (English, US History, and a 94 in Biology), so they were counted as over 100 when they did the weighting.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Thanks.

AP and Honors classes are weighted higher. So getting a 90 in an AP class is the same as getting a 99 in a regular class (It's 110% weight), and getting a 90 in an Honors class is the same as getting a 94.5 in a regular class (105% weight). So I got a 95 in the AP classes I took (English, US History, and a 94 in Biology), so they were counted as over 100 when they did the weighting.

Oh, they weigh it more in your school. In my school I think its three extra points or something like that.... I wish I could get a 94/95 in english and science lol

Thanks.

I absolutely loved that in high school. It's a shame that some of my classmates had as many AP classes as me yet had averages in the low 90's where mine was consistently over 100.

Wow, I walked almost 4 miles from Henderson & Broadway. But if it makes a certain someone feel better, at least I didn't farebeat. <_<

I kind of cheated, though, because on the way back, I decided to stop by at a couple of places to see if they were hiring (I was actually coming from training for a job where I was hired. Of course, there are 2 sites and they give me the site halfway across SI instead of the one in my neighborhood).

Thanks.

Weigh more??? What kind of crappola is that?? A 92 should be a 92... End of story... I mean I had a 92 in AP English and my school didn't give me extra "brownie" points. <_<

Weigh more??? What kind of crappola is that?? A 92 should be a 92... End of story... I mean I had a 92 in AP English and my school didn't give me extra "brownie" points. <_<

Those "brownie" points are meant to encourage students to take the more challenging Honors/AP classes. I'm all for such encouragement. If the 92 in an AP class equaled a 92 in a regular class you will upset the AP students who did more work than their counterparts to get the same grade and in the process more students will decide to take the regular classes which don't offer college credit. In regular classes (i'm talking about NYC non-specialized public schools) you don't learn much beyond what is tested on the Regents so why have a system encouraging students to take the easy way out and remain in those classes.

Your school sucks.

Those "brownie" points are meant to encourage students to take the more challenging Honors/AP classes. I'm all for such encouragement. If the 92 in an AP class equaled a 92 in a regular class you will upset the AP students who did more work than their counterparts to get the same grade and in the process more students will decide to take the regular classes which don't offer college credit. In regular classes (i'm talking about NYC non-specialized public schools) you don't learn much beyond what is tested on the Regents so why have a system encouraging students to take the easy way out and remain in those classes.

Exactly. And aside from that, I've heard of students in specialized high schools (like SI Tech) getting 103 averages because of the same weighting system. It's probably a citywide system too.

And I remember when I started AP World History freshman year. She said "I don't care if you got 100 when you were in middle school. When you start this class, you're not getting above an 85" (Of course, I proved her wrong and got a 90. B) She said there was only one other kid who ever did that). If I had taken a regular class, I would've gotten close to 100 easily, instead of struggling for a 90 (and the same for the other students). Of course, it got easier as the year went on, but my grade was still lower than it would've been in a regular class, so that's why they weight it.

Yeah well we didn't get brownie points and I took mostly AP and honors classes in high school and didn't look for extra points. <_< It's called graduating with honors...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Your school sucks.

Exactly. And aside from that, I've heard of students in specialized high schools (like SI Tech) getting 103 averages because of the same weighting system. It's probably a citywide system too.

And I remember when I started AP World History freshman year. She said "I don't care if you got 100 when you were in middle school. When you start this class, you're not getting above an 85" (Of course, I proved her wrong and got a 90. B) She said there was only one other kid who ever did that). If I had taken a regular class, I would've gotten close to 100 easily, instead of struggling for a 90 (and the same for the other students). Of course, it got easier as the year went on, but my grade was still lower than it would've been in a regular class, so that's why they weight it.

For some reason AP classes did the reverse and weighed down the GPA's of many students at my school. Many students in the AP classes were getting averages between 85-91 when they could easily get higher averages by taking the regular classes. In (Harry S. Truman) this allowed AP classes to get a negative stigma where many students would drop such classes from their schedules. Lately, many students have been unsuccessful in such attempts and the stigma is starting to be reversed.

Yeah well we didn't get brownie points and I took mostly AP and honors classes in high school and didn't look for extra points. <_< It's called graduating with honors...

Did you go to a private school? I know in public schools the "brownie" points is an accepted practice.

For some reason AP classes did the reverse and weighed down the GPA's of many students at my school. Many students in the AP classes were getting averages between 85-91 when they could easily get higher averages by taking the regular classes. In (Harry S. Truman) this allowed AP classes to get a negative stigma where many students would drop such classes from their schedules. Lately, many students have been unsuccessful in such attempts and the stigma is starting to be reversed.

Did you go to a private school? I know in public schools the "brownie" points is an accepted practice.

Well, that's the point of weighting it, isn't it? I mean, it's the same thing at my school: A lot of kids are getting 80s & 90s when they could be getting a 95 in the regular version of the class. So the weighting helps bring their average to (roughly) where it would be otherwise.

And he says he went to Sheepshead, but that was back when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth. :P