My (messy) fantasy map

El person

Here's the new map:

nycsubwaymap1.jpg

Changes (To the old map.)

-The (J), (Z), and (E) have been extended to Springfield Blvd. Both the (E) and (Z) run express. (There is a connection between the (E) and (J)/(Z) tracks somewhere.

-The (T) has it's own line in the Bronx. A new (U) service is added. The (T) is express and the (U) is local.

-The (K) is extended to Kings Blvd, and runs express on the BMT Culver line, peak direction only. (On a track map, it doesn't look like terminating the (F) there is possible, and I don't think that both the (F) and (K) could use the Stillwell terminal.

On my next map, I'll probably replace the (K), and put a new (N) tunnel in Queens.

Exactly, there's no justification for the K. Leave the B as is. Riders can just walk across the platform at Jay St if they want to get to/from 6th Av and 8th Av. Or at W4th, they can just walk down/up the stairs/escelators to switch between lines.

Why cut the B from the Bronx or the west side for a K train that will delay other lines at W4th by switching?

Thanks for all of your comments. :P

Both the Pelham and Flushing lines have express tracks above the old local ones. The A and B division cars never share any track.

The shuttle is above the (7) along 42nd street, and you can't go under the steinway tunnel because of the ESA into GCT, you'd have to completely re-do the GCT station. I would suggest making the current platform inbound, and make a new platform south of the current one 2 tracks over and make that one outbound, expensive and time consuming. As for times square, you don't really have any space with the current layout to add 2 tracks with the support structure currently holding the station complex up/holding back soil pressure from the weight of the buildings nearby. I am totally dreading use of the (7) when the extension is complete, so many spots that an issue could clog service. :tdown: I would suggest BRT for extension instead using double articulated trollybus from gct along 42nd down to nyp.

- A

The shuttle is above the (7) along 42nd street, and you can't go under the steinway tunnel because of the ESA into GCT, you'd have to completely re-do the GCT station. I would suggest making the current platform inbound, and make a new platform south of the current one 2 tracks over and make that one outbound, expensive and time consuming. As for times square, you don't really have any space with the current layout to add 2 tracks with the support structure currently holding the station complex up/holding back soil pressure from the weight of the buildings nearby. I am totally dreading use of the (7) when the extension is complete, so many spots that an issue could clog service. :tdown: I would suggest BRT for extension instead using double articulated trollybus from gct along 42nd down to nyp.

- A

The Flushing line isn't 4 tracks in Manhattan on my map, the only change to it is an extra level added on top of the elevated part in Queens, which B division trains use. Both the (7) and (8) share the same tracks from 10th Av to Main St.

What is the point of the (8)? The (Y) should be longer. I think your ideas are great and I hope to see the fantasy map bigger and w. more routes(MTA)

The (8) is a local version of the (7), which runs express on the extended Flushing and 11th Av lines.

Again:

Why would you have such a long corridor from the 8 to the E at the WTC? The PA would probably not approve of such a long tunnel under their property.

Also you really should just have the N run on another street than right on top of the 7. No one wants a double decked el. And not many people would bother walking up another flight of stairs to get the N when they can just stay on the 7.

I dig the City Island (T) extension. That's something you don't see too often.

As a general comment on these fantasy maps, I'm often left wondering what this love affair with the (K) train is. It always seemed to me an un-necessary duplication of the (C). I understand that there is a lot that can be done on the 8th/Fulton lines with a (K) train, but it seems to me like every fantasy map sort of just plonks the (K) line in just for the sake of putting it back on the map. What are other people's thoughts?

All I gotta say is..think about the NIMBY's complaining about noise and imminent domain and noise, etc

Fordham Road subway line?...nah I'll pass lol I'm good with select.

Good map, it's fun to dream, although the TA will never be rich enough to pull a full system overhaul or re-do or w/e you wanna call it unless we implent railroad distance based fares or something lol...imagine how much it would cost from 241st to Far Rockaway during peak hours lol

Again:

Why would you have such a long corridor from the 8 to the E at the WTC? The PA would probably not approve of such a long tunnel under their property.

I thought that it would make sense to have a big transfer station at the WTC. I guess it won't be possible now that you bring that up.

I know this is fantasy, but in reality unfortunately 2nd Ave Line is planned to be built two tracks so there really cant be express service along 2nd Ave

I think the line is being built deep enough that you can add two tracks above the existing ones. Besides, the tunnel hasn't even started to be bored yet, and this is a fantasy, so you can pretend that the SAS will be built to be four tracks.

Also, I have two other suggestions.

1) Extend the (W) to Laguardia

2) Instead of extending both the (E) and the (J)(Z) under Archer/Jamaica Avenues, extend one down Jamaica Avenue and the other down Merrick Blvd.

I think the line is being built deep enough that you can add two tracks above the existing ones. Besides, the tunnel hasn't even started to be bored yet, and this is a fantasy, so you can pretend that the SAS will be built to be four tracks.

2) Instead of extending both the (E) and the (J)(Z) under Archer/Jamaica Avenues, extend one down Jamaica Avenue and the other down Merrick Blvd.

2) agreed

1) I think everyone would make more money by having an Airtrain from Astoria.

I think an Air Train would make more sense. You can see one on the second map.

Maybe, but (J)/(Z) riders would have to switch to get to Midtown. I could send Another service down there.

Archived