3100 on the M42 [14]

Grand Concourse

Was this bus delivered to the then 5th Ave coach with air conditioning? I thought the city did not have any air conditioned buses until 1966 or so after several GMC fishbowls were introduced. The first air conditioned FLxibles ran around 1970 if I am not mistaken. If I recall, the a/c's were not well maintained in the 70's and 80's and it was non-operable in many buses.

Was this bus delivered to the then 5th Ave coach with air conditioning? I thought the city did not have any air conditioned buses until 1966 or so after several GMC fishbowls were introduced. The first air conditioned FLxibles ran around 1970 if I am not mistaken. If I recall, the a/c's were not well maintained in the 70's and 80's and it was non-operable in many buses.

Not totally sure, but your guess is better than mine.

Slammin pics!

Great pixs! Feel bad for those with wheelchair who can't enjoy a ride in this.. Oh well, just tie a rope fromt the back of the bus to the weelchair and let em run with em.. B)

Thanks!

Great photos of a great bus! You guys in New York are lucky to have the old buses and trains. And even in service from time to time. Where else would that happen?!

Thanks! Yup.

Awesome shots.:cool:

*Sigh* I miss seeing this bus parked in the garage @ QV all the time.

I even caught it on a rare move one day.

Did they re-letter it? I could have sworn it said "New York City Transit Authority"

not "Fith ave coach lines".

Edit- just watched the videos on my phone it did say

"New York City Transit Authority"

not

"Fith ave Coach lines".

You're pretty much right. 3100 was the first A/C bus ever and was the only one delivered. '66 was the year the first new looks with A/C showed up. 1969 Flxible 4000 series had A/C. And you're right, once the thing broke down it wasn't fixed. HVAC upon return.(NYCT)

Thx for the update on the AC. MTA did not get serious about maintaining A/C's til RTS first arrived as only a few windows opened on RTS models. The Grummans had those top pop in or pop out windows. Growing up in Queens. I recall in the 70's and early 80's that Queens PBL's including Triboro maintained their fleets better than the MTA did. Most PBL's A/C's were working in the mid 70's.

Archived