Longest Trip on 1 Fare!

Lennyj17

What's the Longest trip you can take on 1 Fare of 2.25 of the (MTA) only!?!?!

This can also include the Free Transfer

The best I can come up with is:

(2) from 241st down to Fulton Street/Transfer to the (A) @ B'way Nassau then take the (A) out to Far Rock for the Q113 back to Hillside

Total time is close to 4 hours, all on one Fare!

Take the (A) from Far Rock to 168th St, then take the (C) to Franklin Av, switch to the (S), and take it to the (:P, then take that to its terminal, then switch to the (D) and take it down to Stillwell Av, switch to the (F) and take it to Forest Hills, switch to the (V) and take it to west 4th, switch to the (E) and take it to Jamaica Center, switch to the (J) and take it to Broad St, switch to the (Z) and take it to Myrtle Av, switch to the (M) and take it to 36th St, switch to the (N) and go back to stillwell, switch to the (Q) and take it to 42nd St and switch to the (3)...

Take the (A) from Far Rock to 168th St, then take the (C) to Franklin Av, switch to the (S), and take it to the (:P, then take that to its terminal, then switch to the (D) and take it down to Stillwell Av, switch to the (F) and take it to Forest Hills, switch to the (V) and take it to west 4th, switch to the (E) and take it to Jamaica Center, switch to the (J) and take it to Broad St, switch to the (Z) and take it to Myrtle Av, switch to the (M) and take it to 36th St, switch to the (N) and go back to stillwell, switch to the (Q) and take it to 42nd St and switch to the (3)...

Doesnt count you've gone in circles....Example the F to the V back to W4 is a complete circle.

(Q) to Coney Island, (N) to Queensboro Plaza, (7) to 5 Av-Bryant Park, (:P to 59 St-Columbus Circle, (D) to 145 St, (A) to 168 St, (1) to 242 St.

i was bored!

Again doesnt count - you've gone in a complete circle the Q to the N results in a Circle unless you're boarding a Downtown Q past Dekalb.

Make sure you guys list your starting points end points and transfers points, and the length of time it would take.

Again No Circles guys.....No Taking the (2) from 241st to Flatbush then taking the 5 back to 180th....That's a Circle.

Another Example of the challenge could be:

Take the (6) from Pelham Parkway to 59th Transfer to the (R) to 86th Transfer to the S79 to the SI Mall

Total time 3.5 Hrs, not quite as long as my first example, but hopefully you understand the challange better now.

241st Street on the (2) to 96th street to connect to the (1). Switch to the (C) at 59th street and ride to 50th street to switch to the (E). Ride all the way to Sutphin Blvd and switch to the (J) or (Z).

Depending on how the rules work there's two options:

If crossing through the same station at entirely different levels constitutes a loop:

At Broadway Junction, get on the (A) heading for Far Rockaway and ride to the end.

If not:

At Broadway Junction take the (L) and head to 14th Street/6th Avenue where you walk through the free transfer hallway to the (2) at 14th Street. Head on down to Fulton Street/Broadway and get on the (4), which you will ride to Franklin Avenue. Take the (S) to Franklin Avenue on the (C) and take the (C) to Euclid where you will switch to a Far Rockaway (A) and ride it to the end.

Here is a question I have always wanted to ask:

Do Bee-Line riders entering the subway, at, say Wakefield-241st, get a free transfer? (Wikipedia says you can).

If so, really long commutes are possible, technically one can get from the Connecticut border to Far Rockaway on a single fare, assuming the Route 61 bus will stop near the Dyre Avenue (5) train stop. Or, the Route 40/41 can be taken from Hawthorne in mid-Westchester county to the Wakefield-241st St stop, and then the transfer can be used to get in the subway and take the (2), followed by the (A) to Far Rockaway (the easternmost station in the system).

Also, since the SI Ferry is free and the SIR effectively free if you jump the turnstiles at St George or walk to Tompkinsville or Stapleton, the Route 40/41-to-(2) train-to-(1) train-to-Staten Island Ferry-to-Staten Island Railway trip can be used to get all the way from the middle of Westchester to the southernmost point in New York State (Tottenville), all for just one fare. Of course, the opposite trip could be done as well, assuming you can transfer to the Bee-Line bus within two hours.

Take the (A) from Far Rock to 168th St, then take the (C) to Franklin Av, switch to the (S), and take it to the (B), then take that to its terminal, then switch to the (D) and take it down to Stillwell Av, switch to the (F) and take it to Forest Hills, switch to the (V) and take it to west 4th, switch to the (E) and take it to Jamaica Center, switch to the (J) and take it to Broad St, switch to the (Z) and take it to Myrtle Av, switch to the (M) and take it to 36th St, switch to the (N) and go back to stillwell, switch to the (Q) and take it to 42nd St and switch to the (3)...
You really got me laughing.:)

241st Street on the (2) to 96th street to connect to the (1). Switch to the (C) at 59th street and ride to 50th street to switch to the (E). Ride all the way to Sutphin Blvd and switch to the (J) or (Z).

Even though you not going in a straight line this is not a Circle and no train is used more then once.

Depending on how the rules work there's two options:

If crossing through the same station at entirely different levels constitutes a loop:

At Broadway Junction, get on the (A) heading for Far Rockaway and ride to the end.

This works because you're only passing thru BJ once.

Combine this with your trip above is still roughly 3hrs (40-50mins on the 2, 10mins on the 1, 2mins on the C, 40 mins on the E, 30 mins on the JZ, 60 mins on the A), so still not the longest.

If not:

At Broadway Junction take the (L) and head to 14th Street/6th Avenue where you walk through the free transfer hallway to the (2) at 14th Street. Head on down to Fulton Street/Broadway and get on the (4), which you will ride to Franklin Avenue. Take the (S) to Franklin Avenue on the (C) and take the (C) to Euclid where you will switch to a Far Rockaway (A) and ride it to the end.

Wont work - you've used the (2) and the (C) twice.

Here is a question I have always wanted to ask:

Do Bee-Line riders entering the subway,

Nope Rules again are

- Must be within the (MTA)

- A Single 2.25 Fare

- No Using the same Train/Bus more than once

- No Circle routing...(i.e No Taking the (C) from 14th to Broadway Junction and then using the (A) to get back in the opposite direction, or Using the (L) to go back to 8 AV these are examples of Circles)

- The Free Transfer is included in the 2.25 base within the MTA.

- Bus Transfer cannot be more then a 5 block walk from the Transferring subway station.

Anyone can sit here and say "Just keep riding the (A) from end2end", that's not the point of this challenge, the challenge is to find the longest One Way Trip on 2.25.

I can tell you guys right now, you not going to get longer than 3 hrs Only using the Subway, you will most likely need to use a Bus, perferably a bus route that very long and slow moving.

Another good example would be:

Take the (F) from CI to Jay st (60 mins) for the (A) or (C) to B'way Nassau (10 mins) transfer to the Uptown (4)(5) to City Hall (2 min) for the Uptown (6) to 33rd (20 mins) walk a block to Madison for the uptown M4 to the Cloisters (2hr) = Total Trip time 3 hrs 40 mins

LMAo when you think about it,bums do this all the time,but I think these dudes were college students who did a lot of R&D to accomplish this.I would look them up and see if I can find a link.

I recall reading an old brochure for the subway where it said that some kid from Flushing spent 28 hours riding every line end to end on the same token

I recall reading an old brochure for the subway where it said that some kid from Flushing spent 28 hours riding every line end to end on the same token

Yep, I also have an old book bout the subway called "Uptown/Downtown: A Trip Through Time on New York's Subways", from the mid-70s, where the author managed to ride the whole system on a single token in about exactly 24 hours, by strategic use of train connections and knowing where the food stands and bathrooms were. Of course, the system was a bit smaller back then without the Archer Avenue line(s) and the 63rd street line.

before the Archer Ave extension it did go further, to about 168th street, it was in the early 80s when it was cut back to 121 street

Don't forget that the IND part of the Archer Avenue line combined with the BMT part of the Archer Avenue line added more than enough track miles to make up for what was lost on the BMT Jamaica.

Archived