What's In A Train Length?

N-Trizzy2609

Lately I've been noticing how trains are becoming diverse with train lengths. For one, why does the (G) and (S) Rockaway have only 4 cars when they are both very busy lines? Also if the (L) and (M) trains are both very busy lines and have 60 footer cars, why not add two more cars? Last question, can R-44, R-46, and R-68's run 10 cars and still fit on the platforms? (Well on the Rockaway can fit it but anything else?)

The (G) and (S) lines run 4 cars of R46 and R44 due too the fact that at one time the B Division did have a car shortage, But also those lines use OPTO or One Person Train Operation. The train has to be this short so the T/O- C/R can operate and open the doors. The (C) runs 8 cars of R32 or R38 also. The (J)(L)(M) and (Z) lines run 8 car trains of 60 foot cars due to the short platforms on the BMT Eastern Division. Oddly enough, original IND station were built to hold 11 car trains of 60 foot cars for extra rush hour service. This was possible because back then the R1/9 R10, R11, and R16 cars were built as single cars. Now a ten car train of 75 foot cars (R44, R46, R68/a) would not fit in any station as they wouls be 150 feet too long. I hope this helps!

The G deserves being extended 2 cars, yes.

Also, the R44/R46/R68/A are all 75 feet long. So the lines these trains run on use 8-car sets because 8 cars of 75 footers is the same as 10 60 footers. The BMT Eastern Division (J,L,M,Z) are all using 8-car trains because the platforms currently are too short to fit a 10-car train. Extending them right now owuldn't make much sesne becasue you wouldn't have any use for R143s and a few R160s (8313-8652) because they run in 4 car sets.

I agree with you on that....it certainly should be....but then the (V) would be short on cars...remember....back when the (V) started service...it "stole" cars from the (G) .....even though I personally feel that both lines should operate 6 car trains...the MTA seems to think that the (V) requires 8 cars

I agree with you on that....it certainly should be....but then the (V) would be short on cars...remember....back when the (V) started service...it "stole" cars from the (G) .....even though I personally feel that both lines should operate 6 car trains...the MTA seems to think that the (V) requires 8 cars

R u kinding???? the (V) is packed to the bone! And that's with 8 cars! so imagine 6.

R u kinding???? the (V) is packed to the bone! And that's with 8 cars! so imagine 6.

well I've lived along the Queens Blvd Line for about 12 years and if any local train gets packed...its definitely the (R)...always has been.....even with the (V) the (R) is still crowded....the only time the (V) is "PACKED" is if the® isn't running....and thats because there is no other option left unless the (E)(F) are diverted to local tracks......the (E)(F) are trains that are PACKED ......the (V) is well populated during Rush Hours.....and I would say that ridership has slightly grown since it has started service......but it certainly isn't packed...granted I've been on certain (V) trains that are SRO(barely) and if they are its in Manhattan ....but its rare.....now even though im not regular rider on the (G) I've heard that is a line that gets kinda crowded during Rush Hours and go figure...its the only full length line in the city operating regularly with 4 cars

well I've lived along the Queens Blvd Line for about 12 years and if any local train gets packed...its definitely the (R)...always has been.....even with the (V) the (R) is still crowded....the only time the (V) is "PACKED" is if the® isn't running....and thats because there is no other option left unless the (E)(F) are diverted to local tracks......the (E)(F) are trains that are PACKED ......the (V) is well populated during Rush Hours.....and I would say that ridership has slightly grown since it has started service......but it certainly isn't packed...granted I've been on certain (V) trains that are SRO(barely) and if they are its in Manhattan ....but its rare.....now even though im not regular rider on the (G) I've heard that is a line that gets kinda crowded during Rush Hours and go figure...its the only full length line in the city operating regularly with 4 cars

That's kinda true since I never rode the (V) pass Queens Plaza but try getting on around 34th Street. Yea, it like a sardine can. Also the (G) is always packed in rush hour and many people in Bed-Sty were very angry when the (G) got shortened. I've also saw in a book (Under The Sidewalks of New York) a 10-car R-68 (D) at Beverley Road. It was kinda weird but if anyone has that book turn to Chapter 7, a few pages in you will see a very odd length (D) train of R-68. The side description state that those are new (as of 1987) R-68 train with 10-Cars.

I've also saw in a book (Under The Sidewalks of New York) a 10-car R-68 (D) at Beverley Road. It was kinda weird but if anyone has that book turn to Chapter 7, a few pages in you will see a very odd length (D) train of R-68. The side description state that those are new (as of 1987) R-68 train with 10-Cars.

Ive been looking at that picture in that book ( which I own) for over 11 years now. Its 110% a typo. There's only 8 cars on that R-68 (D). I can't emphasize, how many times I went back and looked to see if the train was 10 cars in length. Believe me, as my name wouldn't be "Brighton Local". lol

Also, the R44/R46/R68/A are all 75 feet long. So the lines these trains run on use 8-car sets because 8 cars of 75 footers is the same as 10 60 footers. The BMT Eastern Division (J,L,M,Z) are all using 8-car trains because the platforms currently are too short to fit a 10-car train. Extending them right now owuldn't make much sesne becasue you wouldn't have any use for R143s and a few R160s (8313-8652) because they run in 4 car sets.

the G deserves being extended to a full 8-car train!

Ive been looking at that picture in that book ( which I own) for over 11 years now. Its 110% a typo. There's only 8 cars on that R-68 (D). I can't emphasize, how many times I went back and looked to see if the train was 10 cars in length. Believe me, as my name wouldn't be "Brighton Local". lol

But you gotta admit it looked pretty long in the picture.

The Bronx-bound (4) during rush hours definitely needs either extra cars or more trains per hour.

How about the (4) in the both directions needs more trains on the line. Its bad in either direction.

But more trains might literally screw the line more than what it is already. They can add a few more, but they shouldn't over do it.

• 1 month later...

Archived