Bi-directional express tracks

asidrane

I know there are bidirectional express tracks that are unused on the F and some other lines. I was just curious why these tracks are no longer used.

Mostly cost reasons, or because using them would just apply more pressure at bottlenecks further along the route.

Mostly cost reasons, or because using them would just apply more pressure at bottlenecks further along the route.

Makes sense. I should have figured that cost would come into play. I feel like all moves the MTA makes are about 95% monetarily driven. The tracks on the F look like they are really in bad shape. Could they even be used anymore if the MTA wanted to? What about the other tracks throughout the system?

A couple of years ago I got to ride the express run from Jay St to 7th Av due to a GO. I finally got to see Bergen St lower level for the first time ever and I don't see how that can ever be reopened for service as it is.

The lower level needs to be cleaned and tiled. It is a lot cleaner then it used to be though, I remember one time they had what looked like rooms on the platform but they have since been removed.

Interesting. So if it was given a scrub down and retiled, it is possible to reopen those platforms?

I think so, but I also remember hearing that because of the fire at Bergen Interlocking back in the late 90's and because of the station renovation, that there was something wrong with the lower level.

I think so, but I also remember hearing that because of the fire at Bergen Interlocking back in the late 90's and because of the station renovation, that there was something wrong with the lower level.

You mean it's got cooties?

Something like that, but it stays with you for life.

Sounds like something one might catch if they hang around Marcy for too long...

Besides, I thought the (MTA) motto was "once taken out of service, never put back in"; going by that alone i'd say it's highly unlikely we'll see Bergen Lower in service again.

What's wrong is they need remove the barriers to going down there, retile it, and start using it in regular service. Oh, and set Bergen interlocking back up how it used to be.

Sounds like something one might catch if they hang around Marcy for too long...

Besides, I thought the (MTA) motto was "once taken out of service, never put back in"; going by that alone i'd say it's highly unlikely we'll see Bergen Lower in service again.

In MTA capitol plan, The lower level is slanted for reopening in 2012.

They still need the F as a local so the Park Slope crowds don't cry foul. So if anything they'll need the (F) split as a local and express.

Had the (V)-(M) been an orange M, they could've recycled the (V) designation for the express and have the express [the (V)] skip the park slope stops and go to CI while the (F) would stay a local, but end at Church with the (G).

Park Slope riders will not be happy with only the (G)

The (G) would have to run on local only no matter what, and yeah, they'd probably make up a all-times-except-late-nights train to replace (F) locals. The way the the express tracks actually work is pretty interesting though.

Between 7th Avenue and Fort Hamilton Parkway, the express tracks cut straight between the two stations while the local tracks turn to go to 15 St-Prospect Park and then turn again to go to Fort Hamilton Parkway.

There are some (F) trains that begin and end their runs at Kings Highway during rush hours. (F) trains that operate local could use the upper level and terminate at Kings Highway; (F) trains that operate express will use the lower level, use the middle track during peak hours, and operate local after Kings Highway to Coney Island.

The culver middle track can be used anytime it is needed, as long as it's not out of service for some repair. I worked an (F) interval that was usually running late, usually from a delay in the middle, and we went express quite often to KHWY..

Dont they used the express track between avenue x and kings highway on the (F) for the kings highway put ins during the pm rush

Archived