#8006 - Bus Operator - info

answers

If any of you guys are interested in a bus driving job, you're better of with Bolt Bus or Peter Pan in Secaucus, I hear they're hiring for the summer so when spring time comes put in your application at http://www.peterpanbus.com. I think they're looking for CDL license drivers though, they pay way better than Academy I tell you that much.
How are theyre payscales...academy pays pretty well I work their part time...and they have alot of local work versus otr driving. I know their Atlantic city runs from the port pay about 140 and have a 30min-1:30 turnaround.

Well I guess it depends on how many responsibilities one have, I know Academy pays well for their charters but those are for top seniority, well that's any bus company now anyways. PeterPan starting pay is $17 and change, their garage is in Secaucus, New Jersey, and you'e home everyday. I was told by a PeterPan driver btw, I work for Greyhound which together they have Bolt Bus.

I'm a May also. Whats the purpose of having the enhanced license anyway? I don't want to give the dmv any more of my money since I have paid trillions of dollars in court cases, licensing fees and car registrations. $210.50 is an outrage. We should call "Help Me Howard"

Yes, as locomtion said its for traveling so the US lets you back into the Country. I had to have it when I was with Greyhound, it's cheaper than a passport and I think I will keep it because who knows if i will take a trip up to Canada or something.

Yes it is a ripoff we should call help me howard, through in a story about craigslist to really get him riled up. lol

What happens if you don't renew it on the expiration date? Do you lose your CDL and have to take the road test over again to get it back? I had a buddy who forgot to renew his regular license a couple of years ago. You know his job doesn't require driving and i guess he never looked and over looked the stuff the DMV sent him, he just went to the DMV and explained he forgot, they were cool about, even laughed about it.

Just curious $210.50 is a lot when you out of work! I have to get a job at the grocery store and give my first check! Oh yea I forget not even the grocery store by my apt. isn't hiring. lol :P

That is a very good question, I know for a regular drivers license you have up to 2 years after it expires to renew it. You risk getting a traffic ticket for driving with an expired license though.

I guess there must be a window also for CDL's after they expire. I know to some people out there it wouldn't be a big deal, but CDL drivers are held to a higher standard. That is why some need a DOT Medical Card every 2 years.

I know driving with an expired CDL doesn't sound as bad as driving with a suspended or revoked CDL but why risk it? It's good for 8 years after renewal, so if you break it down to the cost per year it doesn't sound like it's too much.

Yes, as locomtion said its for traveling so the US lets you back into the Country. I had to have it when I was with Greyhound, it's cheaper than a passport and I think I will keep it because who knows if i will take a trip up to Canada or something.
That $210 fee is on par with a Passport now if you don't want to get a Passport book get the passport card which is only good for cruise and land border travel which is alot cheaper you don't really need a enhanced drivers license as the Passport card has the same features and has an RFID chip and it is good as regular identification think of it as an national ID card

http://www.getyouhome.gov

http://www.travel.state.gov

I think it only costs like 35-40 bucks to get the enhanced license the other fees are for the class B, Passenger and School Bus endorsements...

Another thing to consider about the enhanced license is it takes less time to get than a Passport. My class in Greyhound was released early one day after we got back from Atlantic City (those of us who didn't already have a passport that is) to go to the 34th St DMV and get our enhanced license, because guess what, we were going to Montreal the next day. Yes a long painful time at the DMV where they look you over with a fine tooth comb, and you have to sit there for a while while they verify EVERY document they gave them that proves who you are (I mean they are making phone calls, on the computer), but I and every else who got an enhanced license left the DMV with one that day and was at the port authority early the next morning to do route break in to Canada. Except for one guy, who was from NJ (NJ doesn't have an enhanced license) he went to some express passport place payed way more than us, he didn't have his passport to go with us. I think the poor guy was bringing in papers for the next week to have Greyhound fax where ever. So if you need to travel quick the enhanced license is the way to go! Even all they tell you at the DMV you have to wait 2 weeks to get your picture ID because they will not let you cross with your regular CDL and paper enhanced license... Don't listen to them, they don't know the boarder patrol guys do! You have one government issued ID, the paper ID is a legal document, and they have all your info in the system.

hey y wouldn`t u renew it if that lincese makes u money to support ur family that ur carrer for 20 or more year`s ur on the job or more and u need it to make money that`s ur income were ur money comes in
Geez if your license is your livelihood why wouldn't you renew it? It expires on your birthday too so how can you let it lapse? Sometimes you guys make no sense in what you talk about.

Maybe I wasn't very clear, my fault.... Not once would I consider driving without an expired license, not a car, especially not a commercial vehicle. I was wondering what happened if you didn't renew your license when it expired, if you could just renew it later or if you lost your CDL all together. If you lost it I would scrape up the money because I worked hard to get it. As far as it being my livelihood, it's far from my livelihood right now. I am out of work. I fell into another field that pays well, but it's sales so it's 100% commission and I could not support myself just doing that right now, because I am broke. I was looking part time work, and I was like "well you know I have a CDL..." I thought about driving a school bus, when I saw an ad on the back of a LI Bus for PT drivers. I found this site with many questions, not many LIB drivers, but that's ok. I heard many started out doing para... eek... I went through the process of applying and interviewing with LIB, I'm qualified to drive a transit bus part-time, and don't have to do para. WooHoo... ....but there are no classes now for LIB who trains up at Zerega, and they don't know when the next one will be. :(

$210.50 is a lot to pay for my so called bread and butter when it's not paying me anything! I went to an open house for citysights (I didn't know it was for citysights) and they pay you $12! You must also do training for free and pay $85 for your own drug and medical test! lol Thanks but no thanks, especially when I saw an ad for Dunkin' Donuts paying $12/hr...

Burrstone: They(Devil and Igor) misunderstood us, not a problem. You and I both agree with what they said. I bought this subject up because my CDL B expires in May and to let people know that they raised the fee from last year. You asked what would happen if you got caught driving with an expired CDL. We both know that our CDL's are the most important document in our wallets.

What buses do I have to take to get to the College Point DMV from the 74th St bus terminal in Jackson Heights. I can't figure it out from the map. :( Thanks in advance.

Burrstone: They(Devil and Igor) misunderstood us, not a problem. You and I both agree with what they said. I bought this subject up because my CDL B expires in May and to let people know that they raised the fee from last year. You asked what would happen if you got caught driving with an expired CDL. We both know that our CDL's are the most important document in our wallets.

No no... I don't even want to imagine what happens to you if caught driving with an expired CDL in car or commercial vehicle. I am just wondering if it expires and you don't renew it the day it expires if you automatically lose the CDL and have to take the road test again if you want it back or if they just let you renew anytime after the fact...???

As far as it being the most valuable, it defiantly cost the most... lol Both my CDL and my bank of america debit card cost me the most blood sweat and tears, and time dealing with miserable people (at the bank/dmv). lol :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the College Point DMV earlier today(Big Mistake). After waiting for 45 minutes on the info/ticket line I was told to wait on another shorter line(take my photo). Ok, I give the clerk my renewal application and he asks me for my DOT Medical card, I said I don't have one, so he asks me if I work for the city/drive a school bus, I said no(another mistake?).

Then he says to me, oh so you want to downgrade your license? i said no, then he says to me that I need a DOT MEDICAL CARD to renew my CDL B,he gives me a form to take to my doctor, by this time I was so mad that I took the form and left,I needed to cool off.

I know the MTA doesn't require a DOT Medical card, but do you need one to RENEW your CDL? I say no, the DMV clerk insisted that I DO.

I am going to renew by mail this time, less aggravation. :mad:Take the eye exam at my doctor and mail that in along with my renewal fee and application.

Bottom line is that any clerk that you go to at the DMV can give you the WRONG info. They are clueless. If you can it's better to renew your CDL by mail or online. Thanks for letting me vent.

I went to the College Point DMV earlier today(Big Mistake). After waiting for 45 minutes on the info/ticket line I was told to wait on another shorter line(take my photo). Ok, I give the clerk my renewal application and he asks me for my DOT Medical card, I said I don't have one, so he asks me if I work for the city/drive a school bus, I said no(another mistake?).

Then he says to me, oh so you want to downgrade your license? i said no, then he says to me that I need a DOT MEDICAL CARD to renew my CDL B,he gives me a form to take to my doctor, by this time I was so mad that I took the form and left,I needed to cool off.

I know the MTA doesn't require a DOT Medical card, but do you need one to RENEW your CDL? I say no, the DMV clerk insisted that I DO.

I am going to renew by mail this time, less aggravation. :mad:Take the eye exam at my doctor and mail that in along with my renewal fee and application.

Bottom line is that any clerk that you go to at the DMV can give you the WRONG info. They are clueless. If you can it's better to renew your CDL by mail or online. Thanks for letting me vent.

You F*ked up. go to another dmv and give them the right answers, and when you retake the photo they still use the old ones, so thats another waste of time.

Check your license , do you have any restrictions ?

with no DOT med. you have a restriction, cant remember the name but its letter A and some numbers. It allows you to work on municipal bus in state only. OK for MTA, not ok for any other company

Check your license , do you have any restrictions ?

with no DOT med. you have a restriction, cant remember the name but its letter A and some numbers. It allows you to work on municipal bus in state only. OK for MTA, not ok for any other company

My CDL B has no restrictions. I did have my medical certificate back when I first got it. But it expired 4 months ago. You say it's not needed for MTA, Devil Bus says that I do. :confused:

I like Dan's direct response best,lol. I will go to another DMV next week and skip taking the photo again,just take the eye exam and process the paperwork. If they ask me questions about what I use my CDL for, I will say that I work for the city. Thanks for your help guys.

My CDL B has no restrictions. I did have my medical certificate back when I first got it. But it expired 4 months ago. You say it's not needed for MTA, Devil Bus says that I do. :confused:

I like Dan's direct response best,lol. I will go to another DMV next week and skip taking the photo again,just take the eye exam and process the paperwork. If they ask me questions about what I use my CDL for, I will say that I work for the city. Thanks for your help guys.

19A is done by MTA doctors, they dont care for doctors outside of their payroll. DMV will put the restriction on your license, no matter where you go if you dont have medical card, unless there will be a clueless dope working there who dont care about their job ( We all know there are tons of them working in different government agencies :P )

(why cant you go to your doctor and have this paper filled out ? or you have some medical conditions that prevents you from doing it ? If thats the case get them taken care of not, because MTA doctors will stop you from getting the job till you fix what ever is broken :mad:)

19A is done by MTA doctors, they dont care for doctors outside of their payroll. DMV will put the restriction on your license, no matter where you go if you dont have medical card, unless there will be a clueless dope working there who dont care about their job ( We all know there are tons of them working in different government agencies :P )

(why cant you go to your doctor and have this paper filled out ? or you have some medical conditions that prevents you from doing it ? If thats the case get them taken care of not, because MTA doctors will stop you from getting the job till you fix what ever is broken :mad:)

I don't have any medical conditions. I could have sworn that I read on here a long time ago that the medical certificate isn't needed(MTA B/O is a municipal job right?).

Why should I get it now? Why can't I get it if after I am hired? Ok, so they will let me renew my CDL without the medical certificate but it will have a restriction(A3). The CDL can always be "amended" at a later time.

I don't have any medical conditions. I could have sworn that I read on here a long time ago that the medical certificate isn't needed(MTA B/O is a municipal job right?).

Why should I get it now? Why can't I get it if after I am hired? Ok, so they will let me renew my CDL without the medical certificate but it will have a restriction(A3). The CDL can always be "amended" at a later time.

You are right, If DMV will do their job correctly then with no medical papers you will get CDL but with A3, not a big deal. You will be able to change it if you need to at the later time.

You need a 19A medical certification if you plan on operating in passenger service for the MTA. Dispatchers don't need it so I let my license downgrade to intrastate from interstate. I don't plan on driving people again,at least for a while anyway.

Now I see where I went wrong at the DMV, when he asked me if I wanted to downgrade I thought it meant to go back to a class D license. I answered no that I didn't want to downgrade, he then gave me the medical form to take to my doctor.

What he meant by downgrade was being able to drive from interstate to intrastate. Like I said before I did have my medical certificate when I first got my CDL 2years ago. So that is why he asked me if I had my medical certificate with me.

Now I see where I went wrong at the DMV, when he asked me if I wanted to downgrade I thought it meant to go back to a class D license. I answered no that I didn't want to downgrade, he then gave me the medical form to take to my doctor.

What he meant by downgrade was being able to drive from interstate to intrastate. Like I said before I did have my medical certificate when I first got my CDL 2years ago. So that is why he asked me if I had my medical certificate with me.

You better make sure thats what downgrade means. I pm'd u last night, I will give you all the info you need.

If I were you loco I would get the medical filled out by a license physician because you may never know when you get a job outside of mta. also I got that same run around from the dmv, after all the tests you take, they tell you in the end you need your doctor to fill out the form, I had no health coverage so it was hard for me to get that, but you don't want any restrictions on your license.

I went to the Garden City DMV earlier today, in and out in 1 hr 15 minutes. No problem this time. Yes Dan, what I have now is a CDL B with just the A3 restriction. The clerk was very helpful, he told me if I ever want to get that taken off to come in person to the DMV with the medical form filled out by my doctor.

I hear what your saying prince, I also don't have health insurance since I am self employed. I paid $110.00 for the medical certificate at a walk in clinic in Woodside last time. I know you can get it for a lot less at other places.

When the time comes that I need it i will get the medical certificate. I have no interest in driving coach buses out of state. I feel somewhat intimidated by the height of those buses. Too many hazards like low hanging cables or branches besides the obvious overpasses.

Archived