Q line NOT getting R160s the W is

trainfan22

The (J) Line is not getting those T/O CCTV right now, there only for OPTO service and as of now theres no plan to run OPTO on the (J) next pick. There CCTV they need to install are for the C/R at the station that need them. Once there in the R160's will run 24/7. One thing they better move fast. After that 12-9 on Sunday 3 trains of R42's went down and had to be pulled OOS. One that I had on my first trip went back out and started going BIE, The first time the poor T/O had to walk around the train in the Bitter cold just to find nothing. Then it happen while the train was standing still at Myrtle Ave with a TSS on board, Train was pulled. second one went out with Door problems that could not be fixed. Then my last trip my train at Cleveland st the whole train would not respond to full power from the controller. I called it in after leaving BWJ just in case it did not happen again, well it did kept happening. I was pulled out at Myrtle Ave on 2 track and changed ends in the station and was sent to the yard. ENY is not keeping up with the R42's anymore.
I heard you on the radio telling ENY Master the problem and I had a good laugh when the guy was like "Do you think it will make it over the bridge?" and you said "I don't know..I don't want to take a chance" They were going to have you discharge at Hewes and put it at Marcy Middle but then they changed their minds. I knew that was you as soon as you came on the air with your call letters. What happened after you brang it to the yard? They have ya take out another 42 and put it in service?

Wow them R42s are falling apart. I wonder if they are still going to put them on the (A)/© lines....
They are not falling apart. They have problems like any other train. They are reliable trains. You wana talk about un reliable trains? Go to Coney Island shops and tell me what you mostly see in there. Because you can't even get in there, I'll tell you whats in there all the time. R68s and R160s on jackstands. R143s are starting to get dead motors like crazy. Notice all the trains that have major problems are built by Kawasaki. And you gottha love how these 160s come in brand new, but yet you see them in the shops alot. Gottha love the picture that Zach took of 8817 on jack stands with no wheels.

They are not falling apart. They have problems like any other train. They are reliable trains. You wana talk about un reliable trains? Go to Coney Island shops and tell me what you mostly see in there. Because you can't even get in there, I'll tell you whats in there all the time. R68s and R160s on jackstands. R143s are starting to get dead motors like crazy. Notice all the trains that have major problems are built by Kawasaki. And you gottha love how these 160s come in brand new, but yet you see them in the shops alot. Gottha love the picture that Zach took of 8817 on jack stands with no wheels.

Dude the R68/A are reliable. you might be right about the NTT ive seen an r160 with three broken doors and the R142s have countless other problems.The R68/A lead the fleet in MBDF and are very reliable the reason why you always see R68s at CI is because they maintain the (Q)(N)and(W) line fleets which have R68s.And every car bulider makes a bad car every now and then overall kawasaki is a good car builder. Look at bombardier and the R142s have you seen how many R142s are at 207st yard there are like 4 to 5 sets of R142s out of service with tech problems.

Notice all the trains that have major problems are built by Kawasaki.
You know how much of a lie that is. In case you have forgotten:

A KAWASAKI CAR LEAD THE FLEET IN MDBF IN 2006!

And all of the Kawasaki-manufactured passenger cars that are running on any transport system in the world, whether it be New York City Transit, PATH, LIRR, or any other system, have a proven record of reliablity and quality. The Kawasaki made Series 1700 & Series 700 Bilevel Commuter Cars that run on the MBTA Commuter Rails in Massachusetts have shown great reliablity and is making MBTA Commuter Rail service more reliable. Now lets look at Kawasaki's peformance in the Tri-State Area:

The R62 Subway Cars (Kawasaki, 1983-1985) lead the A-Division in mechanical performance for several years, and it is still peforming above average to this day. The R68A Subway Cars (Kawasaki, 1988-1989) lead the fleet in MDBF in 2006, with an MDBF of 306261 miles. The R32s (BTW, I like the R32) which you marvel and love so much had the lowest MDBF in the fleet in 2006, with an MDBF of 100301 miles. The R143 MDBF in 2006 was 303811 miles.

Kawasaki has a proven track-record in reliability and performance. Your proposterous belief that Kawasaki Manufactured rail-cars are inefficent in quality is absurd.

You wana talk about un reliable trains? Go to Coney Island shops and tell me what you mostly see in there. Because you can't even get in there, I'll tell you whats in there all the time. R68s and R160s on jackstands.
In case you have not figured out recently, the R68, R68A, R160A, and R160B are all maintained at the Coney Yard Shops. Also, if you have forgotten, not all of the R68s are made by Kawasaki. The R68 Subway Cars were made by the Westinghouse Amrail Company, not Kawasaki. The R68A Subway Cars are the Kawasaki made Passenger Cars. Also, the R68 Subway Cars and R68A Subway Cars were the best cars in the fleet in MDBF. The R68 Subway Cars (Westinghouse Amrail Company, 1986-1988) had an MDBF of 306132 miles. The R68A Subway Cars (Kawasaki, 1988-1989) had an MDBF of 306261 miles, as I previously mentioned. The R68 and R68A have shown that they are reliable and efficent cars. Dude, I recommend that you check your facts, so that you dont spill fiction here.

Hey dont go on dissin those R160's or those R68's...

BTW 8817 was my head out Motor yeaterday on my (N)ovember job great train great brakes. Do you know why 8817 was up on jackstands?

There is a story behind that and it has nothing to do with the train falling apart.

Like another poster said Coney Island Barn Services those cars and they keep up with them (see the inspection sheets myself from time to time).

If the barn isnt "keeping up with the trains" then yes you will have issues..

You wouldn't be loving them if you had to operate them.

Here let me clear something up for you..

I work with R68's on the (D)elta and R68A's and R68's on the (N)ovember and i have NO problem whatsoever operating them.

I cant say i love em but i like operating them maybe when you get your handles you can say statements like that really.

Just my thoughts...:cool::cool:

Let's see what RTOMan or Pelham Bay Dave has to say to this.

RTOMan says this...

Yesterday operated 3 different kinds of equipment on the (N)ovember...

Frist trip R160's, 8818 going south, 8773 going North..

Second trip R68, 2810 going south,R68A, 5180 Going North and i enjoyed it just as much as if it was a R160.

Sometimes i dont Mind R68'As because i know where to grab a brake and they brake very well, like all equipment you have to get used to it.

If work on a Line with certain equipment i just have to get used to it at least im able to "pick" on lines that have equipment i enjoy operating..

P.S There was two R68's on the (B)ravo this week, 2892 was one and 2868 was the other.

I have seen more Slants "sitting" in Coney Island Yard int he same spots so maybe they are starting to "replace" the Slants with the R68's since the (N)ovember is starting to become more and more R160's.

There are also two ten car units(cant see the numbers) of R160's sitting in Coney Island Yard waiting to be burn tested and OK'd for road service.

Ive seen 2892 on the (:D the other day!It looks like the stants are starting to get retired as R68s invade the(:D and (W) lines. Im guessing that once them R160s start to hit the (W) line will be seeing R40s being lined up on the scrap line at 207 st yard waiting to get reefed.Also yesterday while railfanning at 207 st yard there are two sets of R42s there waiting to get reefed they didnt srip the parts yet. Im guessing there are CI r42s..

But you wouldn't know yet will ya. :D

None of us here except for T/Os can say that statement you said. You may something about them, especially the braking, but be in control of them before you say something like that.

Do you just hate the R68A because they were Japanese Built, or what? The R68A Subway Cars (Kawasaki) may have some braking problems, but they great MDBF due to the fact that they have Adtranz E-Cam Propulsion Controllers which are reliable have never had any technical problems in the 8 years it has been used undercar on the R68A. And in terms of braking, the R68 Subway Cars (Westinghouse Amrail Company) have among the best braking in the system. Add that with the reliable Adtranz E-Cam Propulsion Controllers, which never had any technical problems in the 9 years it has been utilized undercar on the R68, you can see why the R68 Subway Cars are among the best in the fleet MDBF-wise.

Do you just hate the R68A because they were Japanese Built, or what? The R68A Subway Cars (Kawasaki) may have some braking problems, but they great MDBF due to the fact that they have Adtranz E-Cam Propulsion Controllers which are reliable have never had any technical problems in the 8 years it has been used undercar on the R68A. And in terms of braking, the R68 Subway Cars (Westinghouse Amrail Company) have among the best braking in the system. Add that with the reliable Adtranz E-Cam Propulsion Controllers, which never had any technical problems in the 9 years it has been utilized undercar on the R68, you can see why the R68 Subway Cars are among the best in the fleet MDBF-wise.
Yeah, Thats why so many 68s have dead and dieing motors right? Dude your re-searching on google doesn't work. Everytime I take a line that has 68s I see another 68 set with dead or dieing motors or alot of times my own set that I'm riding has dead or dieing motors! Atleast they sound like the R1 when they are dieing :D Some braking problems? They have a MAJOR delay in braking. Its very hard to get use to those trains which is why train operators don't like the 68s. If you notice T/Os that operate the 68s when stopping in a station must apply brake, release, apply, release until they hit the 10 car. With all of the other trains in our system none of them have delays in the braking. And face it, the 68s are the slowest trains in the system. Ride the Q going over the bridge. The T/O is full power, yet the train is going 15MPH, 20MPH if your damn lucky up that bridge when another train can EASILY do 25MPH with no struggle. 68s in a straight line are slow as shit. Any other train in the system can smoke a 68. And don't even bring up its slow because its heavy due to it being stainless steel. Look at the 32s. They have been around longer then any other train in the system and they are fast and have the best braking of all trains we got. Mechanical problems with R32s is un-heard of.

Oh yeah and in responce to another one of your posts, the yard/shops that train is out of should not have to be all over the train so it doesn't have Mechanical problems.

Dude your re-searching on google doesn't work..
This is my source for information. Whether you want to admit it or not, the R68s and R68As are reliable, and the facts are right there on the linked page for all including skeptics. And David Pirmann did not get those MDBF numbers off of google, he received them from the NYCT Department of Car Equpiment. PIMP THAT!

68s in a straight line are slow as shit. Any other train in the system can smoke a 68.
I rode on board R68A 5133 on the Q via the Brighton Express yesterday and it went very fast. The reason why you think that the R68s and R68As are slow is because the R68s and R68As' ride is much smoother than the Slants and Modifieds. This is what causes the illusion that they are slow. Also, the Westinghouse-Amrail R68s have the some of best braking in the fleet. The Kawasaki R68A Subway Cars have slow brakes, so you are right. But the Westinghouse Amrail Company ones (R68 Subway Cars) have quicker airbrakes, as proven by this subtalk post made about six years ago.

Yeah, Thats why so many 68s have dead and dieing motors right? Dude your re-searching on google doesn't work. Everytime I take a line that has 68s I see another 68 set with dead or dieing motors or alot of times my own set that I'm riding has dead or dieing motors! Atleast they sound like the R1 when they are dieing :D Some braking problems? They have a MAJOR delay in braking. Its very hard to get use to those trains which is why train operators don't like the 68s. If you notice T/Os that operate the 68s when stopping in a station must apply brake, release, apply, release until they hit the 10 car. With all of the other trains in our system none of them have delays in the braking. And face it, the 68s are the slowest trains in the system. Ride the Q going over the bridge. The T/O is full power, yet the train is going 15MPH, 20MPH if your damn lucky up that bridge when another train can EASILY do 25MPH with no struggle. 68s in a straight line are slow as shit. Any other train in the system can smoke a 68. And don't even bring up its slow because its heavy due to it being stainless steel. Look at the 32s. They have been around longer then any other train in the system and they are fast and have the best braking of all trains we got. Mechanical problems with R32s is un-heard of.

Oh yeah and in responce to another one of your posts, the yard/shops that train is out of should not have to be all over the train so it doesn't have Mechanical problems.

I ride the R68/A every day and ive never i mean NEVER had an R68/A with dead motors. The R68/A are better than the R40/32s.If they took R68A off the (Q) line put R32s on that line.(Q) line riders would have a fit. concilmen NIMBYs would have a fleld day protesting aginst R32s on the (Q) line. And the R68/A are not slow. when i ride them on that G.O with the (Q) going express between kings highway and propect park. Them R68As fly on them express runs! And they are better than the R42s the R42s are falling apart nuff said. if you ride an R42 during a rain storm it rains inside the train. Because of all of them leaks that R42s have. And the doors do not be open it rains inside the train when it is motion.

I ride the R68/A every day and ive never i mean NEVER had an R68/A with dead motors. The R68/A are better than the R40/32s.If they took R68A off the (Q) line put R32s on that line.(Q) line riders would have a fit. concilmen NIMBYs would have a fleld day protesting aginst R32s on the (Q) line. And the R68/A are not slow. when i ride them on that G.O with the (Q) going express between kings highway and propect park. Them R68As fly on them express runs! And they are better than the R42s the R42s are falling apart nuff said. if you ride an R42 during a rain storm it rains inside the train. Because of all of them leaks that R42s have. And the doors do not be open it rains inside the train when it is motion.
Did you just say that R68s are better then R32s? LAUGHING MY ******* *** OFF!!!!!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IN THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. R42S FALLING APART? LOL JUST BECAUSE YOU RODE ONE WITH A LITTLE LEAK DOESN'T MEAN THEY ARE ALL FALLING APART. IT MEANS THAT TRAIN NEEDED NEW WEATHER STRIPPING.

The R68/A is better than the R32s. The R32s have broken A/C loud brakes and are uncombfle to ride. Ive never had an R68/A with loud brakes or broken A/C.And the R32s are so damn loud when are riding one all you hear is BANG BANG BANG.Im loose some of my hearing every time I ride an R32. You need ear pulgs just to ride one. As for the R68/A its very quiet smooth laid back ive even taken an nap on an R68.sigh here i go about the R42. THE R42S ARE FALLING APART. THERE ARE ALL BEAT UP WITH RUTSING ROOFS THEY ARE PIECES OF CRAP! ENY YARD CANT WAIT TO GET RID OF THEM.IF THEY ARE HOLDING UP SO WELL THEN WHY THERE ARE TWO SETS OF R42S AT 207 ST YARD WAITNG TO GO SLEEPING WITH THE FISHES. AND MOST OF THE R42S LEAK WHEN YOU ARE ON ONE WHEN ITS RAINING.

Dudes, Enough with the debating on which subway car model favors you the most. Like I tell everybody who tells me that R68/R68A's suck, EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN OPINION. The R68/R68A is the car class model that I happen to in fact like the most. Are they fast? Sometimes. The R42/ R32 have reasons as to why they ARE in fact better then the Hippos. The A/C, Heat, and probably speed is better on the 60' cars. Sure, they're will be water in the cars when acid rain falls from the sky, how would you feel after traveling around the city for 40 years? Each car class has their own Pros and cons. Some people favor other car models of each in their own way, and will defend what they like. Wouldn't we all do that. Nobody's dumb, Are the trains pieces of "crap"? I wouldnt say that. Remember, alot of the BMT/IND Fleet has aged, and like they say about beautiful women, and a bottle of wine, 'they only get better as they age'. So in conclusion, lets not argue over the fact about which train is faster then this train. Might G-D its starting to sound like the 'Island of Sodor Here'.. Thomas the Tank Engine is fighting with Gordon who pulls the Express, and James who has a coal train. Wheres Sir Topham Hatt?! He'll put them all in the shed for mis-behaving! Dudes, this is OUR Hobby, this is our transit system, enjoy it, don't mock it!

The nyc subway is geting boring as these new tech trains take over. Like for example during the 90s it was so much fun riding the redbirds on the IRT.Now its just the boring R142/As. once these new tech trains take over the system will never be the same.And the old trains are more reliable than the new tech trains if you go to 207st yard you will see how many R142s are there out of service with tech problems. The R142s are falling apart the redbirds were more relible.And like the R32-R42 fleets i think they are fun to ride but i just like the R68/A better thats all.Ive grew up with R68/As on the brighton line. I would hate to see r160s take over the Q.

.And like the R32-R42 fleets i think they are fun to ride but i just like the R68/A better thats all.Ive grew up with R68/As on the brighton line. I would hate to see r160s take over the Q.

Hey Man, I feel ya too. Spending most of my life between Staten Island & Brighton Beach, I grew up with the 68/68A's on the (D)(Q)(Q6). I feel you 100% on that. I really don't want to see 160s on the (Q)..

Archived