Governor Plans to Boost MTA Budget by Taxing NYC

mark1447

21329uv.jpg

The MTA's budget could be back on track if Albany adopts a new tax proposal drawn up late today by Governor Paterson.

The plan would cut payroll taxes in suburban counties -- and shift the burden of closing the MTA's budget gap to New York City businesses.

"The new proposal I am putting forward will provide relief to straphangers, as the MTA makes the difficult decisions necessary to balance its budget during an historic fiscal crisis that is significantly impacting all levels of government," Governor Paterson said. "In addition, it also makes key improvements to the current tax structure, promoting regional equity and delivering relief to small businesses."

If the new tax is approved and actually generates the revenue Albany claims it will one might think that drastic additional service cuts might not be necessary.

But the MTA said that the governor's budget boost is just a drop in the bucket.

"The MTA is grateful to Governor Paterson for his continued focus on funding the MTA and the critical service we provide to 8.5 million New Yorkers every day," said agency spokesman Jeremy Soffin. But, he added, "It would not eliminate the need for the service cuts and administrative reductions included in the MTA Budget passed in December."

Mayor Bloomberg, of course, wsn't happy with the plan.

“First the Governor proposed a state budget that slashes support for New York City but not the suburbs, and now he proposes to wallop city businesses with more taxes while lightening the load for businesses in the suburbs," the mayor said in a statement. "The idea that the State can spare the suburbs while sacking the City is terrible economics, grossly unfair, and contrary to every principle of good regional development."

SOURCE: WNBC-4 New York

February 8, 2010

Wow for once I actually agree with Bloomberg.

The suburbs should not get a free pass. It's one thing to talk about increasing taxes in NY some, it's entirely another to talk about increasing taxes in NY a bunch just so the suburbs can pay lower rates.

You know I am in favor of taxing the businesses, but only to help cut the deficits...not to allow the suburbs to get tax cuts and stay in a deficit...

Patterson has got to go

Eliot might come back actually i've heard.

The best way to spur economic recovery and growth is to allow temporary shifting of the burden to the city, then when the growth starts shift it more evenly.

- A

I think the Gov needs to push a mandate on the entire (MTA) to halt awarding expansion/construction contracts.. Top down, even outside review of all contracts in effect to see how much can be re-negotioated.. Outside vendors/contractors aren't non-profits and SOAK the state every chance they get.. Let the operations/systems just run, let the true revenues & deficiencies be seen to he powers that be before real hard decisions can be made. NYCTA generates revenue yearly to operate, but millions get sucked out of the budget to cover capitol projects among all (MTA) divisions. Why is that? If you cant pay your bills now, how do you contract more expenditure?

As for Patterson, this is why the whole idea of career politician is a coruption of the system itself to me. If you aren't working to improving the system for all constituents, not just yours personally, you get the boot out of office & let someone who will try.. Elected offices don't pay tons of money, yet how do all politicians end up millionaires? He's been described as a 'dealmaker' who would work with everyone, but never one to push any great plans or projects of his own.. DO we need another schmoozy politician? No, we need someone who will make the changes needed once we know what to do..

I think the Gov needs to push a mandate on the entire to halt awarding expansion/construction contracts.. Top down, even outside review of all contracts in effect to see how much can be re-negotioated.. Outside vendors/contractors aren't non-profits and SOAK the state every chance they get.. Let the operations/systems just run, let the true revenues & deficiencies be seen to he powers that be before real hard decisions can be made. NYCTA generates revenue yearly to operate, but millions get sucked out of the budget to cover capitol projects among all divisions. Why is that? If you cant pay your bills now, how do you contract more expenditure?

Then that means the skullduggery that goes on gets noticed more, they cant have that...

It is time for Patterson to go i'm tired off him kissing upstate New York ass, knowing they wont vote for him anyway. Patterson started this garbage by appointing Gillabrand as a senator, someone from upstate who no one likes and has continued this garbage by over taxing the city and cutting aid to the city. Time to show Patterson the door!

I am partially on the Governors side, due to the fact NYCTA is the biggest entity in MTA. It is mostly residents of NYC that use the subways and buses there. Saying that, suburbanites use it also (mainly Mon-Fri rush hours). Maybe there is a way to have NYC business tax mostly for the subways and buses, with some monies from the suburban business taxes, and have mainly suburban business taxes for MNRR, LIRR, and the Bridges and tunnels (cause NYC residents aren't the ones truly clogging up the tunnels and bridges, since most of them don't own cars), with little of that from NYC.........

It is time for Patterson to go i'm tired off him kissing upstate New York ass, knowing they wont vote for him anyway. Patterson started this garbage by appointing Gillabrand as a senator, someone from upstate who no one likes and has continued this garbage by over taxing the city and cutting aid to the city. Time to show Patterson the door!

I agree Patterson needs to be shown the door, (don't know if he could see it)...........

Patterson does need to be shown the door, but so do Sheldon Silver, Malcolm Smith, Pedro Espada and especially Hiram "Monster Rat" Monserrate. Have any of these guys done anything to help New York City and its transit-riding public? The only people they've been helping are themselves and their cronies. The Legislature cut $143 million from the (MTA)'s budget and put it in the state's general fund to address the state's own deficit problems. Why don't they cut their own damn salaries and benefits?

I'm sorry, but I don't think this proposal is good for the city. I have to agree with the Mayor on this one. By hitting NYC businesses up for even higher taxes, we can rest assured that many of them will take their businesses and their money to other cities in other states. This adds insult to injury. First, the state cuts $143 million from the (MTA). The (MTA) in turn proposes budget cuts that fall hardest on NYC Transit subway and bus riders. Now the state wants to come in and hit NYC businesses up for even higher taxes. Are these guys for real? Are they not aware that most NYC residents are not billionaires? Many of us don't even have jobs anymore because of the stupid decisions made by the finance industry with regards to sub-prime mortgages.

But you know what the worst part is? These clowns all from New York City. None of them are from Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton or Plattsburgh. These are our own politicians who are screwing us. Yet we keep putting them back in office year after year. Why do we do it? Are we gluttons for punishment? I think it's time we vote all of these guys out of office and show them we don't have to take their corruption and incompetence. And we need to pass term limits on New York State politicians, so they can't stay in Albany forever and use their positions for their own personal gain.

Lets face it: plenty of suburbanites ride the MTA, but for the most part all the riders are going to NYC. What do they do when they get there? They either work and/or spend money at NYC businesses. Clearly NYC businesses benefit from having the MTA, so it makes sense that they carry a greater burden than elsewhere. However, prior to this NYC businesses were already paying more taxes, and clearly increasing taxes on businesses hurts the economy. To me it seems pretty obvious where the revenue should come from: increases in taxes on gasoline, bridge tolls, taxi cabs, and parking lots in NYC. If you can't lower the public transit fare, increase the cost of any alternative. This will encourage more ridership and increase MTA revenue, it will decrease traffic, and help the environment. This would also have a much smaller impact on the NYC economy.

Lets face it: plenty of suburbanites ride the MTA, but for the most part all the riders are going to NYC. What do they do when they get there? They either work and/or spend money at NYC businesses. Clearly NYC businesses benefit from having the MTA, so it makes sense that they carry a greater burden than elsewhere. However, prior to this NYC businesses were already paying more taxes, and clearly increasing taxes on businesses hurts the economy. To me it seems pretty obvious where the revenue should come from: increases in taxes on gasoline, bridge tolls, taxi cabs, and parking lots in NYC. If you can't lower the public transit fare, increase the cost of any alternative. This will encourage more ridership and increase MTA revenue, it will decrease traffic, and help the environment. This would also have a much smaller impact on the NYC economy.

You're analyzing this too much. The problem is that he is proposing these tax increases for NYC because he wants to CUT taxes for suburban areas! This is no time to be cutting taxes for ANYONE!

This is just a case of screwing one group double to allow another group to benefit.

Meanwhile what will cutting taxes in the suburbs do? Not much. They have a smaller workforce out there, so it's not like it will reduce unemployment because these companies will hire (heck, even if these were large districts that wouldn't work quite like that, but I digress, that's one for another time..)

So what's the point?

Need to plug the budget? Raise taxes on NYC biz's 1-2%. Fine. Done.

But don't raise them 5% so you can cut suburban taxes 3%. That's the sham that's going on here.

Patterson does need to be shown the door, but so do Sheldon Silver, Malcolm Smith, Pedro Espada and especially Hiram "Monster Rat" Monserrate. Have any of these guys done anything to help New York City and its transit-riding public? The only people they've been helping are themselves and their cronies. The Legislature cut $143 million from the (MTA)'s budget and put it in the state's general fund to address the state's own deficit problems. Why don't they cut their own damn salaries and benefits?

I'm sorry, but I don't think this proposal is good for the city. I have to agree with the Mayor on this one. By hitting NYC businesses up for even higher taxes, we can rest assured that many of them will take their businesses and their money to other cities in other states. This adds insult to injury. First, the state cuts $143 million from the (MTA). The (MTA) in turn proposes budget cuts that fall hardest on NYC Transit subway and bus riders. Now the state wants to come in and hit NYC businesses up for even higher taxes. Are these guys for real? Are they not aware that most NYC residents are not billionaires? Many of us don't even have jobs anymore because of the stupid decisions made by the finance industry with regards to sub-prime mortgages.

But you know what the worst part is? These clowns all from New York City. None of them are from Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton or Plattsburgh. These are our own politicians who are screwing us. Yet we keep putting them back in office year after year. Why do we do it? Are we gluttons for punishment? I think it's time we vote all of these guys out of office and show them we don't have to take their corruption and incompetence. And we need to pass term limits on New York State politicians, so they can't stay in Albany forever and use their positions for their own personal gain.

LOL!

Anyway, Monserrate was already shown the door.

Archived