Spring Trainning 2010 Pre Season MLB News

Shortline Bus

Not only that, look at how a long rest became detrimental to the 2007 Rockies. They had no punch left against Boston. If they had a long 7-game series, they probably would've been 'fresh' than rusty.

That said, the top teams like say the Yankees and Angels would not go for it - meaning they'd lose revenue from the fewer games just so other teams can duke it out for the WC spots/series.

I favor the radical change where Boston would be in the NL so the other WC contending teams in the AL won't have to worry about them.

Why would you eliminate the Boston-NY rivalry?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares about the rivalry? The post season is all that matters. That's where it really counts. Plus Boston in the NL will make that league much stronger. And the Yankees-Mets games are just as popular. Swapping Boston with the Mets will still have sell out games.

I favor the idea where inter state/city rivals are in the same division. That would finally get rid of Interleague once a month. Only the 'odd'/left out teams would play each other. And more importantly the NL should adopt the DH as well.

Eliminating the Boston-NY rivalry is worse than eliminating every single express bus in the MTA. Are you sure you're a real Yankees fan? Do you understand the history between these two teams. Fox won't be happy either since the rivalry generates ratings. Maybe they play each other too much (18-19 games), but the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is always an epic clash.

Who cares about the rivalry? The post season is all that matters. That's where it really counts. Plus Boston in the NL will make that league much stronger.

I favor the idea where inter state/city rivals are in the same division. That would finally get rid of Interleague once a month. Only the 'odd'/left out teams would play each other. And more importantly the NL should adopt the DH as well.

Personally while i prefer the Pitcher comes out to bat(hey CC Sabthia and Carlos Zambrano are better hitters than some 8th place batters on most teams)than the DH, i do agree that it more than time for MLB to have '1' set of rules for either the Picther bats or the DH.

It so 'sweet':cool:when the Pitcher can come up and hit a home run. CC and Zambrano probably the best hitting pitchers in MLB right now can in a good year hit 5-7 home runs in a season.

Eliminating the Boston-NY rivalry is worse than eliminating every single express bus in the MTA. Are you sure you're a real Yankees fan? Do you understand the history between these two teams. Fox won't be happy either since the rivalry generates ratings. Maybe they play each other too much (18-19 games), but the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is always an epic clash.

Means nothing from you, a so called 'fan' that gives up every year around May and early June. And why the f' are you still bringing up non-issues? You clearly have an issue with R30A about express buses, take it up with him on subchat. What does express buses have to do with baseball? Stick to the subject.

Fox doesn't even carry many Yankees-Red Sox games unless it is a Saturday game. They carry the WS and now stupidly alternate ALCS and NLCS games with TBS. The WS is what matters to them.

And the point about 'rivalry' - maybe if splitting up the Yankees and Boston gives more interest to the WS, I'm all for it. The AL is not big enough for both teams in the same division. And the AL Central has some good teams in the Twins and Tigers. Both of them deserves a chance to play in the playoffs, if not for Boston usually winning the WC. And I sure would not accept Boston and Detroit trading spots either. Boston is not in the Central as Detroit is not in the East.

Plus just because the Red Sox is in the NL, doesn't mean they won't at least play the Yankees 6 games.

Joe DiMaggio vs. Ted Williams

Bucky Dent

Bloody Socks

Are you really going to throw away nearly 100 years of history? No sane Yankees or Red Sox fan will approve of this. And as for your other argument, it's not like the NL doesn't have powerhouses. The Braves went to the postseason 14 straight years.

Means nothing from you, a so called 'fan' that gives up every year around May and early June. And why the f' are you still bringing up non-issues? You clearly have an issue with R30A about express buses, take it up with him on subchat. What does express buses have to do with baseball. Stick to the subject.

Fox doesn't even carry many Yankees-Red Sox games unless it is a Saturday game. They carry the WS and now stupidly alternate ALCS and NLCS games with TBS. The WS is what matters to them.

Don't forget ESPN still carries most of the regular season cable tv games as well. And GC, the two main reasons Fox now has TBS 'split' the LCS coverage is this. First despite good ratings in the LCS round, many people complained to Fox about their shows not being shown for 3 weeks as October is the start of the new TV season. And second Fox wanted to offset the $2 Billion dollars for this current TV contract it pays to Bud Selig and company.

FYI. Everyone knows TBS 'fired' Chip Carey right? IMO the folks at Turner should hire either the Mets announcer Gary Cohen or Don Orsillo the Red Sox lead TV announcer as Carey replacement as the main Play-Play guy on TBS. What you guys think?

I like Gary, Keith, and Ron with SNY! I don't want to see them with some other network. They have such great chemistry! They explain many things!

No don't worry GojiMet86. Mr Cohen would still work with the Mets. he would just miss about 1-2 games a week to do 'national' games. Jon Miller of ESPN Sunday Night baseball also works most of the time with the Giants as well and has done both jobs for years.

Also for many years until the mid '90's the Dodgers Vin Scully was the main voice for NBC (now held by Joe Buck of Fox)when NBC was the oringal 'national' tv home in US for MLB Baseball.

To Shortline:

I understand about getting a 2nd party to help cover the costs and airtime, but Fox should get a say in which LCS they get to air. Like who'd want to see the Dodgers-Cards over Angels-Yankees on Fox?

I really don't care about TBS, but I guess your picks are fine.

GC. Fox TV exces did request it when TBS was added as the post season partner couple of years ago. However Bud selig 'cave in; when Time Warner, TBS's owners demanded that they 'rotate' the LCS round yearly with Fox or else they would not sign on. ESPN which for years carried the 1st round(division series)did not bid due to their commitment to both the NFL and College Football and claimed to have 'no room' on their schedule.

Off topic but related. Can't Bud Selig allow TBS please to show all post season games be shown on 'free tv' in the cities of the two teams playing please? I understand the regular season but if the NFL can have all of their playoff games on 'free' tv' why not MLB?

Joe DiMaggio vs. Ted Williams

Bucky Dent

Bloody Socks

Are you really going to throw away nearly 100 years of history? No sane Yankees or Red Sox fan will approve of this. And as for your other argument, it's not like the NL doesn't have powerhouses. The Braves went to the postseason 14 straight years.

Like I said, for the overall benefit for the league, I would be for the split. So what if there would be 12-13 less games in the season b/w them? The Phillies-Yankees interleague series has some exciting games as well. Why must it always be Boston? Kicking Boston down in the WS has a much better ring to it than just the ALCS - which on its own right is a WS type series.

The Braves have been de-throned by the Phillies now. At best the Braves are maybe 2nd or 3rd best. Marlins are damn good even with their penny pinching owner. The Mets if they are ever healthy are still a mystery. The NL East has only one certainty and that's the Phillies.

Personally if you going to remove the Yanks and Red Sox in same division then MLB should 'drop' American League and National League and just go to an Eastern League vs Western League format similar to the NBA and NHL.

Or as i stated earlier my first preference for a 'radical reaglignment' and that is to go to a format used by soccer's English Priemer league. The worst 6-8 teams in MLB are *demoted* to the Triple A Minor Leagues after each season. And can't return unless they finish among the first 2 teams in the Triple AAA.

I was in favor of an East vs West set up, as it would really save on travel expenses. But aside from the Angels, there's not really many teams in the west that are all that dominant. The East is where the powerhouses are. That's why you need to keep the AL/NL split.

And lastly, I'm not even sure how you'd be able to evenly split up the Central teams.

I've read this past exchange b/w the... three of you....

rather than post a bunch of quotes... I'll say my opinion; which is a simple one...

There's TOOOOO much emphasis being placed on the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry....

MLB doesn't equal Yankee - Red Sox, regardless if they're in the upper echelon as far as team salaries are concerned (baseball is the only major sport where team salaries are overly talked about)..... The rivalry IMO has dwindled the past few years... It's not the only rivalry in baseball...

..and c'mon, if the MLB ever resorts to rearranging the divisions (again), they're not gonna get rid of Yankee-Red Sox matchups outright throughout an 162 game season - there would only be less of 'em.... emphasis would be placed on OTHER rivalries in baseball (the other 28 teams in baseball... remember them... lol)... it's called a healthy balance.... something the league has long needed....

Besides, you can only beat the red sox.. erm, I meant, a dead horse so many times...

yeh, that's it... a dead horse...

whistle.gif

Personally if you going to remove the Yanks and Red Sox in same division then MLB should 'drop' American League and National League and just go to an Eastern League vs Western League format similar to the NBA and NHL.

Exactly what I'm talkin about....

The league should lift the idea of the American League & the National League (where's the outcries about history now) if the Yankees & the Red Sox are no longer in the same division??? What.....

plz. explain to us what one has to do with the other.

I've read this past exchange b/w the... three of you....

rather than post a bunch of quotes... I'll say my opinion; which is a simple one...

There's TOOOOO much emphasis being placed on the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry....

MLB doesn't equal Yankee - Red Sox, regardless if they're in the upper echelon as far as team salaries are concerned (baseball is the only major sport where team salaries are overly talked about)..... The rivalry IMO has dwindled the past few years... It's not the only rivalry in baseball...

..and c'mon, if the MLB ever resorts to rearranging the divisions (again), they're not gonna get rid of Yankee-Red Sox matchups outright throughout an 162 game season - there would only be less of 'em.... emphasis would be placed on OTHER rivalries in baseball (the other 28 teams in baseball... remember them... lol)... it's called a healthy balance.... something the league has long needed....

Besides, you can only beat the red sox.. erm, I meant, a dead horse so many times...

yeh, that's it... a dead horse...

That's true, the rivalry is overrated. Plus the Yankees will still play Boston anyway, just probably 6 games a year in the regular season. Like the way they face the Mets 6 times a year in Interleague. MLB will never keep Boston from playing against the Yankees.

If this was so much about preserving history, there never would've been a Central division and a WC. They could've just had the top two teams in their divisions duke it out against each other and then face the winners of the lother division to play in the LCS. And the Brewers would've stayed in the AL than move to the NL. So it's not unheard of to send Boston into another 'league'.

The main reason I'd want Boston to move out would be to give teams in the AL central a better chance to make it to the WC. The NL has only one real powerhouse being the Phillies. Boston moving there will make the 'NL' playoffs more exciting. I will honestly say the Dodgers-Phillies games were boring. Phillies-Boston would be much more interesting to watch imo.

Exactly what I'm talkin about....

The league should lift the idea of the American League & the National League (where's the outcries about history now) if the Yankees & the Red Sox are no longer in the same division??? What.....

Having two distinct leagues makes baseball unique. In the AL the focus is on power hitting. In the NL the focus is on pitching, speed, and defense. In the World Series this creates interesting matchups. However, if you were to eliminate the two leagues then baseball wouldn't be as interesting.

^^ lol.... So we're in agreeance then.

Shortline made a mention of possibly changing to an East-west format.

and just to clarify:

Here, I'm asking Shortline (or anyone else that believes what was said in the first paragraph of his last reply in here 'til this point), what does the yankees & the redsox possibly no longer being in the AL east... have to do with getting rid of the american & national leagues (and converting to an East-West format)....

In reply to B35. I red several newspaper and online sports writers suggest the next time MLB goes to realignment it would go to a East-West setup and drop the historic AL/NL. However Bud Selig has stated as long as he 'boss' of the league the AL/NL set up will stay.

I think the best idea for East West division in MLB came from a sports writer (forgot his name)that suggested that the Yanks and Red Sox be separted. This is how MLB could be set up in East West format assuming MLB adds two new teams. My proposal for East/west leagues is based from many articles i read on this.

Atlantic

Yanks

Mets

Phillies

Marlins

North

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Pirates

Orioles

Southeast

Nationals

Charlotte

Braves

Rays

Central

Cubs

Tigers

Reds

Indians

Western League

Pacific

D-Back's

Dodgers

Angels

Padres

Mountain

Brewers

Royals

White Sox

Twins

Northwest

Giants

A's

Mariners

Rockies

Southwest

Astros

Rangers

San Antanio

Cardinals

Expansion teams in SA and Carolina in bold. I put each Chicago team in separte division since the windy city is middle of the country. Although Baltimore and Washington are close, i put the O's and Nats in separte divisions since DC is techincally in Virgina a 'southern city.' Feel free to comments/questions on this proposa?.:cool:

To be honest, that set up doesn't look too bad.

But I think you need a WC as not all division leaders would have a good record and a team like the Phillies would never get a chance for the playoffs as the Yankees will likely win that. The Phillies would be better than the Braves and the Tigers - who would likely win their divisions. So I still say it should be left as a 3 division set up with the WC and I don't think there's a need for 2 more teams when baseball needs to contract teams.

In reply to B35. I red several newspaper and online sports writers suggest the next time MLB goes to realignment it would go to a East-West setup and drop the historic AL/NL. However Bud Selig has stated as long as he 'boss' of the league the AL/NL set up will stay.

I think the best idea for East West division in MLB came from a sports writer (forgot his name)that suggested that the Yanks and Red Sox be separted. This is how MLB could be set up in East West format assuming MLB adds two new teams. My proposal for East/west leagues is based from many articles i read on this.

Atlantic

Yanks

Mets

Phillies

Marlins

North

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Pirates

Orioles

Southeast

Nationals

Charlotte

Braves

Rays

Central

Cubs

Tigers

Reds

Indians

Western League

Pacific

D-Back's

Dodgers

Angels

Padres

Mountain

Brewers

Royals

White Sox

Twins

Northwest

Giants

A's

Mariners

Rockies

Southwest

Astros

Rangers

San Antanio

Cardinals

Expansion teams in SA and Carolina in bold. I put each Chicago team in separte division since the windy city is middle of the country. Although Baltimore and Washington are close, i put the O's and Nats in separte divisions since DC is techincally in Virgina a 'southern city.' Feel free to comments/questions on this proposa?.:cool:

So instead of the Red Sox playing the Yankees they'll play the Pirates?

The Southeast Division is weak. The Division winner will probably be 84-78

The only semi-interesting division is the pacific, but this set up will kill baseball. I understand that people are bored and antsy on a Sunday afternoon with nothing to do but arbitrarily rearranging divisions and destroying rivalries that lasted nearly a century is a horrible idea. Please leave baseball the way it is.

First of all this is a discussion place. What does it matter? It's not like MLB is reading this thread to get ideas from us.

So you are entitled to believe what you want about leaving things as status quo. What's wrong with people thinking about changing things up?

And why would you assume just Boston-Pirates? Toronto is also there with Boston and have usually ended up in 3rd place for many years behind the Yankees and Red Sox. If anything you sound more like a proponent for Boston seeing how much you want to see them play the Yankees.

In 96 and 97 Boston was dead while Baltimore was either top 1 or 2 in the East with the Yankees. Boston only got much better when John Henry bought the team and winning 2 titles.

I hate the Red Sox, but I respect them as a formidable opponent. I look forward to seeing the Yankees play the Sox since it's a clash of titans. Last year I went on a Fenway Park tour (wearing Yankees gear). When I was riding the T in Boston people gave me weird looks. I couldn't care less if the Yankees play the Royals (unless Greinke is pitching).

Archived