Spring Trainning 2010 Pre Season MLB News

Shortline Bus

Yes Boston is formidable, but what about the Angels? They've been a bigger thorn to the Yankees since the Torre era and the only team to have a winning record in both the regular season and playoffs. That was the team to beat, not Boston. That's as good a rivalry as Boston imo and from a baseball perspective.

And there would still be at least 6 games [if they were to separate into different leagues]. Baseball knows it can not remove the two from each other outright. Like B35 said, baseball should not revolve around just Boston-New York.

Or in Shortline's post both teams will still be playoff bound - just no Wild Card, which Boston would likely take anyway [and play the same amount of games against each other]. That's all that matters.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would do this:

American League

East:

Yankees

Baltimore

Boston

Tampa Bay

Great Lakes:

White Sox

Cleveland

Detroit

Toronto

Midwest:

Kansas City

Minnesota

Texas

West:

Los Angeles

Oakland

Seattle

National League

North:

Mets

Cincinatti

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

South:

Atlanta

Miami

Saint Louis

Washington, D.C.

Midwest:

Cubs

Colorado

Houston

Milwaukee

West:

Arizona

Los Angeles

San Diego

San Francisco

Yankees would play 18 games against the East (54 games); 12 games against the Great Lakes (48 games) and 8 games against the Midwest and West (48 games).

Mets would play 18 games against the North (54 games): 12 games against the South (48 games) and 6 games against the Midwest and West.

This would hold until expansion brings the American League to sixteen teams, after which the Yankees would play 6 games against the Midwest and West.

150 League Games and 12 Interleague Games. A.L. East would play N.L. North, South, Midwest and West in rotation 1 three game series each. Each season, two series would be home and two series would be road also rotating.

I do agree that Yankees-Sox is a great rivalry, but is over-hyped. Last April, I was at a pizza place in Philly and I saw Yanks-Sox hype the day before the series began on ESPN!

New rivalries could be created. In the case of the NFC West, the Cards and Niners might start a new rivalry soon, but they were in the same division since 2002.

I do agree that Yankees-Sox is a great rivalry, but is over-hyped. Last April, I was at a pizza place in Philly and I saw Yanks-Sox hype the day before the series began on ESPN!

New rivalries could be created. In the case of the NFC West, the Cards and Niners might start a new rivalry soon, but they were in the same division since 2002.

On that note the Giants-Cowboys rivalry is also overrated. Why the hell is Dallas in the 'EAST'? If anything I would swap Carolina with Dallas. That way Dallas would be in the south and Carolina in the east.

On that note the Giants-Cowboys rivalry is also overrated. Why the hell is Dallas in the 'EAST'? If anything I would swap Carolina with Dallas. That way Dallas would be in the south and Carolina in the east.

It's same reason why the Miami Dolphins are in the "AFC East' Concourse, $$$=money. The Cowboys and Dolphins leaguewide are both always in the top 5 among most popular teams in fan polls.

Plus Jerry Jones the Cowboys Owner, is one of the most powerful and infuential men in the NFL now. Jones in his own polls prior to the current NFL division set-up started prior to the 2002 season, stated '90-something %' Cowboy fans did not want to switch to either the NFC West or South and wanted to stay in "NFC East' and wanted to stay in NFC East w/ Giants, "Skins and Eagles' since the modern NFL was born in 1970.

Ditto for the Dolphins who did not want to lose the rivalry and most important almost sell out's against the Bills, Jets and Pats since tons of transplants from the Northeast and New England live in Fla. now as well.

What the flock? Isn't this thread about spring training 2010 pre season baseball? Last time I checked football season was over....;)

True and sorry. Just got off topic Locomotion as we were talking about possible MLB realignment and tried to compare it to the NFL and also the NBA/NHL.

We did get too off topic. Other than the Entry draft in April we should put the NFL on the shelf until August.

:):confused::eek:

Back to baseball. Normally i dont even watch/care about spring trainning. However with the rough winter, I am look forward to watching few innings to 'take a staycation' lol from the snow and cold around me.

Updated March 1, 2010, 8:39 PM

End Of The Road

McGwire Highway Could Be Renamed

Associated Press

Jefferson City, Mo. - The Missouri Senate wants to take away Mr. Mark McGwire's Highway.

A stretch of Intestate 70 (I-70) in Saint Louis was designated the Mr. Mark McGwire Highway in 1999, one year after the Cardinals slugger hit a then-record 70 home runs.

But Mr. McGwire has now admitted he used steroids, and the state Senate voted unanimously to rename the section of interstate The Mr. Mark Twain Highway. The measure now goes to the Missouri House.

The bill also would name sections of a few other highways for noted Missourians.

Republican Senator Kurt Schafer of Columbia asked if those getting the honors were alive or dead. Mr. Schafer says it might be wise to name roads only for the deceased, because they can't do something worth changing the name over one day.

Mr. McGwire is currently the Cadinals' hitting coach.

70(EE)'s Note: While I like Mr. Mark Twain and agree he is worthy, they could keep this Saint Louis baseball related by renaming the section the Mr. Stan Musial (longtime popular Cardinal) or the Mr. Bob Gibson (also long time popular Cardinal) or the Mr. George Sisler (long time popular Brown (Saint Louis Browns)) Highway. I think Mr. Twain is more associated with Hannibal and the Hannibal area plus the Mississippi River.

Updated March 1, 2010, 8:39 PM

End Of The Road

McGwire Highway Could Be Renamed

Associated Press

Jefferson City, Mo. - The Missouri Senate wants to take away Mr. Mark McGwire's Highway.

A stretch of Intestate 70 (I-70) in Saint Louis was designated the Mr. Mark McGwire Highway in 1999, one year after the Cardinals slugger hit a then-record 70 home runs.

But Mr. McGwire has now admitted he used steroids, and the state Senate voted unanimously to rename the section of interstate The Mr. Mark Twain Highway. The measure now goes to the Missouri House.

The bill also would name sections of a few other highways for noted Missourians.

Republican Senator Kurt Schafer of Columbia asked if those getting the honors were alive or dead. Mr. Schafer says it might be wise to name roads only for the deceased, because they can't do something worth changing the name over one day.

Mr. McGwire is currently the Cadinals' hitting coach.

70(EE)'s Note: While I like Mr. Mark Twain and agree he is worthy, they could keep this Saint Louis baseball related by renaming the section the Mr. Stan Musial (longtime popular Cardinal) or the Mr. Bob Gibson (also long time popular Cardinal) or the Mr. George Sisler (long time popular Brown (Saint Louis Browns)) Highway. I think Mr. Twain is more associated with Hannibal and the Hannibal area plus the Mississippi River.

Agree 110%. I think either or both Mr. Musial or Mr. Gibson probably the best players in team history would be worthy of that honor to have that highway(I70)near Busch Stadium named after them.

Especially Musial is not a young man anymore and has had recent health problems. I am surprised McGuire's name was not taken off earlier.:)

A simple question to discuss. Is Spring Training/pre season too long now in baseball? I ask this since 90%-plus of the players train now 12 months a year.

Plus you can start the regular season in last week of march to avoid having the world series end now in the first couple of days of November as well.

What you guys think?:confused:

A simple question to discuss. Is Spring Training/pre season too long now in baseball? I ask this since 90%-plus of the players train now 12 months a year.

Plus you can start the regular season in last week of march to avoid having the world series end now in the first couple of days of November as well.

What you guys think?:confused:

Anybody been to spring games in either Fla. or Arizona as well?

Mr. Steinbrenner is sick. In the NY Post there is a photo of him being held by 2 men, one on each side. He was at yesterdays spring training game opener. I have the utmost respect for him. There will never be another baseball team owner like him. I feel bad for him. He is only 79 yrs old.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/his_love_of_pinstripes_still_bern_0ICz95qeeBBRPTftLCcrRM

Is that Vanilla Ice on his left? LOL

It's same reason why the Miami Dolphins are in the "AFC East' Concourse, $$$=money. The Cowboys and Dolphins leaguewide are both always in the top 5 among most popular teams in fan polls.

Plus Jerry Jones the Cowboys Owner, is one of the most powerful and infuential men in the NFL now. Jones in his own polls prior to the current NFL division set-up started prior to the 2002 season, stated '90-something %' Cowboy fans did not want to switch to either the NFC West or South and wanted to stay in "NFC East' and wanted to stay in NFC East w/ Giants, "Skins and Eagles' since the modern NFL was born in 1970.

Ditto for the Dolphins who did not want to lose the rivalry and most important almost sell out's against the Bills, Jets and Pats since tons of transplants from the Northeast and New England live in Fla. now as well.

Right, but at least the Dolphins are geographically in the East, so it does make sense. Dallas is at best in the central, but really the south. I basically don't give a damn about rivalry. Teams should be based on geographic locations. The NFC East is crowded enough with the Eagles and Giants and to a lesser extent the Redskins.

Ok, I think i've taken this a bit too far o/t. resume the MLB talks.

Oh well the Yankees lost today. But it's just an exhibition game and the regular starters were all likely gone by the time it got to the 9th inning anyway.

Mets won today 17 - 11 against Cards! Wright hit an opposite field homer, and Ike Davis hit a grand slam. Castillo and Matthews both had two hits. The pitching was not as good. However, the Mets signed Kiko Kolero to a minor league deal. Hope he works out!

Archived