Second Ave Extension to the Bronx

5 Express Train

A small concern I have is the cost today to construct a new subway tunnel from Second Avenue in Manhattan to Third Avenue in The Bronx.

I feel overall, though, that restoration of train service on Third and Webster Avenues would be a benefit to the Middle Bronx where the closest trains are on the Concourse and Westchester Avenue/Southern Boulevard.

Restore transfers to the (2)(5) at Gun Hill Road and East 149th Street and create a transfer to the (6)<6> at East 138th Street and the (T) may even help the (4)(5)(6) even more by running Gun Hill Road to Hanover Square via Second Avenue and offering a convient transfer to the (Q) offering service to the West Side and Brooklyn.

When the war in Iraq is over with and we stop paying for it, (T) extension along 3rd Av is gonna lean towards reality instead of a dream.

The Iraq War has noting to do with the 2nd Ave Subway. If it ended yesterday, it would not make any difference at all.

When the war in Iraq is over with and we stop paying for it, (T) extension along 3rd Av is gonna lean towards reality instead of a dream.
That's how I always looked at it, since WWII plus the Great Depression was one the many reasons why subway expansions were halt

According to Jeremy Scahill it costs 50-70k to keep a single marine in Iraq for a year and about 400k for a Blackwater employee / other private forces. I'd think if there was no war the feds would at least have way more cash to throw at projects like this.

WHy are we jumping the gun so fast...

We havent even finished SAS Phase I nor Phase II or III... When ever those come out..

This can take more then 15 years to even see more extention of the (Q)(T)...

Of course it would be a good idea to extend the (Q) and (T) to the Bronx... Via Third Avenue and kick the Bx55 out or keep... Then have it run via Gun Hill road to Co-Op city or even end with the (6) at Pelham Bay(Underground for (Q)(T)..)

With Express...

Of course thats just a vision, not like its going to happen..

I am still amazed that the entire SAS is only going to be 2 tracks.. what a joke.

Well.. Maybe there is a reason why 2 tracks if for SAS, possibly due to the amount of stations along 2nd avenue which isn't much and doesn't require express Service... Makes it feel more like its coming from the bronx and starting it Manhattan service at 72nd Street

However, it would of been nice to at LEAST add a 3rd M track and have a peak express service.. Like the (Q) can run express and (T) runs Local.

Agreed, you can pour billions of dollars into the SAS, but it won't get it done that much faster.

But sure, Iraq owes the US a few hundred billion dollars.

Well, the reason it's getting postponed so much is because the (MTA) can't secure enough funding for it. Otherwise, had the SAS been fully funded from the start it would be finishing two years from now in 2012.

That's how I always looked at it, since WWII plus the Great Depression was one the many reasons why subway expansions were halt

Subway expansion was halted in WW2 because of the massive amounts of steel the government needed for arms creation. WW2 was much bigger than the War in Iraq and it's a total apples and oranges situation.

According to Jeremy Scahill it costs 50-70k to keep a single marine in Iraq for a year and about 400k for a Blackwater employee / other private forces. I'd think if there was no war the feds would at least have way more cash to throw at projects like this.

It's not like the SAS is second in line on Obama's priority list. There's plenty, plenty of things in the way. The SAS would more likely be funded by the city and state than receive a federal fund in that case, but if the War in Iraq was over for about two months now that still wouldn't change the fact that Albany is broke and so is just about every other state in the country.

Well.. Maybe there is a reason why 2 tracks if for SAS, possibly due to the amount of stations along 2nd avenue which isn't much and doesn't require express Service... Makes it feel more like its coming from the bronx and starting it Manhattan service at 72nd Street

However, it would of been nice to at LEAST add a 3rd M track and have a peak express service.. Like the (Q) can run express and (T) runs Local.

The increased distance between the stations wasn't the reason it was built to be two tracks. It's much cheaper to build a two track tunnel than one that is four tracks. IMO the remaining two tracks should be added if the (MTA) ever gets around to extending the SAS to the Bronx. I don't think moving stations too far apart and skipping over important areas (i.e. 79th St., 59th/60th St. for a very important (N)(R)(W)(4)(5)(6)(F) transfer) is the solution to the cost issue.

I am hoping they will eventually add the express tracks. Since the stations are going to be single island platforms, they could have the express tracks on the 'outside'. 2nd Av is wide enough to have all the lines on the same level.

They could also add an upper level, if the mezzanines of Phase I stations are designed to allow that to happen. The tunnels for Phase I are being built well below ground.

Yes, but I doubt it would ever happen anyway unless there was a great need for it.

True. I just hope nothing happens on that line. All it takes is one f'up, and there goes the service. They really should've kept 72nd st as at 3-track station, so they could relay trains there if there's a problem further north.

Whats going to happen is the Lex is going to decline in ridership because of the economy and M15 SBS and MTA is going to say come 2020 that the 4,5 and 6 are less crowded because of Phase I. Now that Phase I is such a godsend we'll live without Phase II, III and IV, at least accoeding to the MTA. Keep dreaming on this one.

Archived