Female hit, killed by No. 6 subway train at upper East Side subway station

Harry

A female commuter was struck and killed by a train at an upper East Side subway station Thursday afternoon, police said.

The victim was on the uptown platform at the 77th St. and Lexington Ave. station in the moments before she was hit by the oncoming No. (6) train, police said.

Police officials were told by witnesses that the girl had jumped in front of the train just after 3:30 p.m.

But detectives are also investigating a witness account that the girl may have been playing with classmates on the platform and then accidentally fallen in front of the train, a police source said.

The girl was killed instantly, crushed between a subway car and the platform, according to FDNY officials.

The train came to a halt halfway into the station, according to officials. It was not believed that anyone else was injured in the incident, police said.

Service on the No. (6) line was suspended in the area, officials said.

Story: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/11/2010-03-11_girl_hit_killed_by_no_6_subway_train_at_upper_east_side_subway_station_.html#ixzz0hud3O505

post-1-133288581656_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581656_thumb.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats odd, witnesses said she jumped but she became a space case (between the train and the platform). Something does not sound right. My thoughts are with the train crew and frist responders, I'll hold off my thoughts on the vic till I hear more about this.

What's it to people and 12-9s these days? I think we've hit a record high of 12-9 incidents this year *sarcasm* lol

As usual, sorry to the crew members who had to endure something that they had no control over....

There us a better more detail story from NY Times:

Updated, 5:34 p.m. | The police are now saying that the person fatally struck by the train was a woman, not a girl. Inspector James Murtagh, a police official at the scene, said she was in her 40s. He did not offer further details.

Updated, 5:04 p.m. | A girl was crushed to death between a subway train and the platform at the 77th Street station of the No. 6 train on Thursday afternoon, officials said.

The police said that the girl had jumped to the tracks. Two eyewitnesses said that she had dropped her backpack and gone down to retrieve it.

Ninnie Hernandez, 13, a seventh-grader at Wagner Middle School on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, said that she was on the southbound platform when she said a teenage girl with blond hair and a blue sweater jump down from the platform on the northbound side.

“She dropped her backpack and she jumped in,” Ninnie said. A northbound train came charging into the station.

“People were telling her to lie down,” said Jahmal Reid, also 13, who said he was standing with Ninnie. “But she was too scared.”

The witnesses said the girl tried to pin her body flat against the platform wall, but she was crushed by the train as it pulled into the station.

The packed train came to a stop most of the way into the station. Part of the girl’s head and arm were visible between the platform and a door of a car toward the front of the train. Passengers inside the car were screaming.

The Fire Department confirmed that the girl had died.

Glenda Farr, 52, of Harlem, was in the second or third car.

“We felt a horrible thud,” she said, and then the lights went off in the train. “It was horrible. I’ve never felt anything like it, that terrible boom.” The lights started flickering and the train went dark momentarily. A motorman came over the loudspeaker and instructed passengers to walk to the front of the train to exit. Much of the train was still in the tunnel, she said.

Celeste Arthur, a traffic enforcement agent, was in the first car on her way home from work, when the motorman began beeping his horn. She heard three or four urgent, lengthy honks, before the crash.

“I heard this blowing and then the impact. You felt it,” she said. She described a slightly panicked but orderly exit from the train, which had been fairly crowded. The platform was full of schoolchildren, she said.

Neelema Singh, 17, a college student from the Bronx, described a chaotic scene as she exited the train.

“A lot of kids were running and crying,” she said.

The train was moved out of the station at 5 p.m.

Source: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/girl-fatally-struck-by-train-at-77th-street/

What's it to people and 12-9s these days? I think we've hit a record high of 12-9 incidents this year *sarcasm* lol

As usual, sorry to the crew members who had to endure something that they had no control over....

Its the truth, we already have a record 12-9s in the first three months of this year.... Not looking good as the trend is still going upward.

So she got crushed between the train and the platform then....

Correct. I don't get it, the TA has posters all over telling people that if they drop shit on the tracks get a cop or TA employee to help you.

Correct. I don't get it, the TA has posters all over telling people that if they drop shit on the tracks get a cop or TA employee to help you.

I have news for you: some dimwits that the TA calls "passengers" have the IQ of a cockroach and the brain a size of a walnut.

They can try as they might...too bad there are very few people these days who actually have this thing called "common sense"...believe me, it exists people just don't want to use it.

That's why if you drop something you don't go down and get it...

These people never learn...

Sympathies as always to the crew who had nothing to do with why this happened but will have to go through a lot of BS as a result of these irresponsible actions by someone who doesn't understand that you don't go down on the tracks...your bag is replaceable no matter what's in it, YOU are not...

All I can say if she tried to clear up between the train and the platform that was probably one pretty gruesome scene

Geez and I was through that station not more than 30 minutes before that.

Pics or it didn't happen.

If you read that NY Times article that I posted...

"The witnesses said the girl tried to pin her body flat against the platform wall, but she was crushed by the train as it pulled into the station.

The packed train came to a stop most of the way into the station. Part of the girl’s head and arm were visible between the platform and a door of a car toward the front of the train. Passengers inside the car were screaming.

The Fire Department confirmed that the girl had died."

[/Quote]

Its too graphic to show that photograph at the incident.

She would have survived, if she lay flat on the tracks. But for some reason, she didn't think smart and decided that by standing up between the platform and the tracks, with a 2 inch margin, that she could fit and survive.

Even if somebody were dumb enough to go pick up a bag, they could at least try to jump over to the southbound platform, and if there wasn't enough time, lay flat.

I feel bad for everybody on the platform. It's really disgusting seeing a dislocated head and arm dragging across the platform. Certainly something that regular people should never see.

Conclusion?.... This an example of two counts of stupidity. One for going onto the tracks in the first place, and another for not thinking smart and trying to survive.

She would have survived, if she lay flat on the tracks. But for some reason, she didn't think smart and decided that by standing up between the platform and the tracks, with a 2 inch margin, that she could fit and survive.

Even if somebody were dumb enough to go pick up a bag, they could at least try to jump over to the southbound platform, and if there wasn't enough time, lay flat.

I feel bad for everybody on the platform. It's really disgusting seeing a dislocated head and arm dragging across the platform. Certainly something that regular people should never see.

Conclusion?.... This an example of two counts of stupidity. One for going onto the tracks in the first place, and another for not thinking smart and trying to survive.

She should not have gone down to the tracks.

Relying on the trench to be deep enough to lie down there (and to do so correctly) is not really the best course of action for someone not track qualified. Plus uptown at that station is Type 2 modified track IINM (INDman can help with the track type) but there are full width ties every 4 to 5 ties which may make lying down in the trench a bit difficult. There is no clearance between the platform and the track. The only way she could have gotten out of there alive was to a) not jump down in the first place or :P calmly step over the third rail and clear up between columns.

She DEFINITELY should not have tried to "hop over" to the southbound platform because it's quite likely a DOWNTOWN 6 train would have pulled in and ended her.

Bottom line since the public lacks common sense. STAY THE HELL OFF THE TRACKS

What a horrible way to die. The witnesses sure learned something from that incident-simply do not jump on the tracks, your life is more precious than any of your objects that fall onto the tracks!

Also, I do feel sorry for the train operator who had to endure this traumatizing event.

I feel bad for everyone in that situation, It is a very dump thing that she did and it cost her her life, the operator had to see that, the passengers had to deal with getting off the train and not looking to see what happend, The lady's family has to deal with this. Why couldn't she just get some help to et her F'n bag is beyond me. And no one was there to help her?

She should not have gone down to the tracks.

Relying on the trench to be deep enough to lie down there (and to do so correctly) is not really the best course of action for someone not track qualified. Plus uptown at that station is Type 2 modified track IINM (INDman can help with the track type) but there are full width ties every 4 to 5 ties which may make lying down in the trench a bit difficult. There is no clearance between the platform and the track. The only way she could have gotten out of there alive was to a) not jump down in the first place or :P calmly step over the third rail and clear up between columns.

She DEFINITELY should not have tried to "hop over" to the southbound platform because it's quite likely a DOWNTOWN 6 train would have pulled in and ended her.

Bottom line since the public lacks common sense. STAY THE HELL OFF THE TRACKS

I've noticed that some platforms, generally islands, offer an overhang. Was that designed with a purpose in mind (i.e., storage space or a possible provision for wider or longer railcars in the future that may require shaving), or was this simply to save materials, or was there no real purpose in mind?

That's definitely not to say that I ever hope to use it, but I'm just curious as to why it's present, or at least more prominent in some stations, and not others.

She should have told some official so that they could at least stop the train, but I'm pretty sure that must have been too late. However, it's her fault. She shouldn't have jumped down. And between the platform and train? She was probably thinking she could be like Swayze in GHOST. I feel sorry for the train crew.

She should have told some official so that they could at least stop the train, but I'm pretty sure that must have been too late. However, it's her fault. She shouldn't have jumped down. And between the platform and train? She was probably thinking she could be like Swayze in GHOST. I feel sorry for the train crew.
She was probably trying to climb back on the platform once she saw the train coming, but was obviously to late.

She was probably trying to climb back on the platform once she saw the train coming, but was obviously to late.

She didnt do from the witness accounts:

The witnesses said the girl tried to pin her body flat against the platform wall, but she was crushed by the train as it pulled into the station.

[/Quote]

Archived