C/R train announcements

Harry

I have a question about the brief announcements from the C/R's these days. Did the (MTA) give an okay about shortening the announcements or did the C/R's just took it upon themselves to do it? Either way they sound fine to me.

These are the most recent ones I heard,

(R) is "R to 95, stand clear"

(G) is "G to Smith, stand clear"

Since I have not been in the city since Jan. 20th I'm not sure, but when ever I am on the train after midnight, the announcements are very short. The time they keep the doors open is shorter too, I have almost been cought in the doors almost every time i get off the train.

I have a question about the brief announcements from the C/R's these days. Did the (MTA) give an okay about shortening the announcements or did the C/R's just took it upon themselves to do it? Either way they sound fine to me.

These are the most recent ones I heard,

(R) is "R to 95, stand clear"

(G) is "G to Smith, stand clear"

i like it when the announcements are nice and short.

sometimes the conductors just say stand clear of the doors this is the (whatever) train

Ya, there are alot of C/Rs that just wanna get through the run, especially on a long one like the (R). All due to laziness, but they must follow the amount of time told to open the doors and close them. It can't be open and then close the doors in a split second.

Man, when and If Im ever a C/R, I would announce everything:

(Q) at Atlantic Av( pulling into Atlantic Av)

Atlantic Av-Pacific St, Change here for the (B) Brighton Express on this track; upstairs for the 4 Av (D)(M)(N)&(R) Trains; Transfer is also available to the IRT (2)(3)(4)&(5) Trains. Connection is available to MTA Long Island Railroad. Exit here for the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

(Q) Train, Brighton Local to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue; 7 Av next, Stand Clear of the closing doors please.

too much?:P

Man, when and If Im ever a C/R, I would announce everything:

(Q) at Atlantic Av( pulling into Atlantic Av)

Atlantic Av-Pacific St, Change here for the (B) Brighton Express on this track; upstairs for the 4 Av (D)(M)(N)&(R) Trains; Transfer is also available to the IRT (2)(3)(4)&(5) Trains. Connection is available to MTA Long Island Railroad. Exit here for the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

(Q) Train, Brighton Local to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue; 7 Av next, Stand Clear of the closing doors please.

too much?:P

No thats the WAY its supposed to be said, perfect Blue Book annoucement..B):)

Now WHY arent you working down here?? :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ya, there are alot of C/Rs that just wanna get through the run, especially on a long one like the (R). All due to laziness, but they must follow the amount of time told to open the doors and close them. It can't be open and then close the doors in a split second.

Thats not the correct way to do it though. You have to do both, not do one and not do the other.

We have Superintendents who ride the trains and they see you cutting annoucements short like that they will say something to you..

When i was in the A Div they had a bulletin out about "cutting out" the annoucments on the R142's on the (2),(4),(5) and (6) lines you get caught you get written up.

Pelham Bay Dave was a C/R himself he will chime in on this im sure.

Very true we got all kind of rules for C/R on how and when to make announcements. The announcements have not been offically shorten. C/R who shorten thier announcments or Cut announcement risk getting written up. The Supt has TSS that monitor C/R's announcements daily which is part of a TSS schedule to ride 10 trains a day. Also TSS test C/R's by removing C/R boards and their latest thing standing next to the T/O at the terminal to see if the C/R ask for the Line Up.

Announcements has always been a hot topic. Many say Making announcements the currect way takes up too much time station by station. My experance is its how you make them. As a former IRT C/R I learned to say everything fast. The second I hit the open buttons I am saying the whole announcement without skipping a beat then looking to close the doors. I some how was always able to keep my Train Operator and Supervision happy when it came to my operation.

RTOman you know I use to roll in the middle.:P

So the conductors are taking chances when shortening station announcements. Sounds dumb to me to risk being written up. I have not heard them myself but they can't be that much better to risk.

I've heard it on the new tech trains. The old tech they usually make them thoroughly. With the techies, they would cut off those announcements quick, sometimes. But when you are late and gotta go, those announcements take up time.....

I like the shorter announcements. The riders that are unfamiliar with the route will looked a bit confused with them.

Bill (NYCT)

thats the reason MTA doesnt want C/R's shortining the announcements, unfamiliar tourists/stupid people will be confused and get on the wrong train, or stay on the wrong train, or transfer where they shouldnt, etc. then just wind up complaining to mta or asking dumb questions to the c/r, holding the doors, causing a delay in service anyway. personally, i sometimes like the shortend announcements, sounds cool and straight to the point b/c i know where i am going, but some dont and need a bit of "extra help"

thats the reason MTA doesnt want C/R's shortining the announcements, unfamiliar tourists/stupid people will be confused and get on the wrong train, or stay on the wrong train, or transfer where they shouldnt, etc. then just wind up complaining to mta or asking dumb questions to the c/r, holding the doors, causing a delay in service anyway. personally, i sometimes like the shortend announcements, sounds cool and straight to the point b/c i know where i am going, but some dont and need a bit of "extra help"

You know what though, just in case, theres always people on the train willing to help anyone who asks. I have seen it many times. even the people you don't ask get in the business and start helping out. I even do it myself.

I overheard a lady miss the announcement, a normal version of an announcement and she asked a gentleman and he misinformed her on a couple of things. I immediately corrected him and gave her the correct information. I probably saved her 10-15 minutes. Should she have paid better attention? sure but I helped anyway.

Some still don't pay attention. When I am doing a Limited trip, people realize they are on the wrong bus, as I bypass 4 stops. I record myself saying "Limited stops only", so it plays outside the bus loudly 3 times over, and the dummies still do the same thing. Of course some just don't understand English, and that's when I hear Espanol, and the English word "Limited" in the Spanish sentence. I do the same thing when my trip only goes to Fordham Rd, and people act shocked that it is the last stop.

Some still don't pay attention. When I am doing a Limited trip, people realize they are on the wrong bus, as I bypass 4 stops. I record myself saying "Limited stops only", so it plays outside the bus loudly 3 times over, and the dummies still do the same thing. Of course some just don't understand English, and that's when I hear Espanol, and the English word "Limited" in the Spanish sentence. I do the same thing when my trip only goes to Fordham Rd, and people act shocked that it is the last stop.

true, u have a point but mta is not thinking of it the way we are. they believe that the customer recieves misinformation b/c of the B/O, or C/R not making proper announcements, but like you said most of the time its customers not paying attention. i drove buses for NJ Transit for a while and dont you just love when they get on the bus and wait till you almost finish the trip to ask you where you go, then when you tell them you dont go where they want to go they get an attitude, despite the numerous announcements, destination signs displayed correctly, etc. idk

true, u have a point but mta is not thinking of it the way we are. they believe that the customer recieves misinformation b/c of the B/O, or C/R not making proper announcements, but like you said most of the time its customers not paying attention. i drove buses for NJ Transit for a while and dont you just love when they get on the bus and wait till you almost finish the trip to ask you where you go, then when you tell them you dont go where they want to go they get an attitude, despite the numerous announcements, destination signs displayed correctly, etc. idk

That or at that time, that is when they decide to ask where can they connect to a connecting bus route, or how do I get to such and such. They ask where do I go, my answer is "where the sign says".....

Its sad to say, but the conductors on the (Q) 99% of the time ALWAYS announce at Atlantic Av, transfer to the (2)(3)(4)(5). Okay, nothing wrong with that, but hearing that announcement late nights, and weekends, then theirs issues. This past August, I was on a (7) train, who announced at 42 St / 5 Av, transfer to the (:rolleyes:(D)(F) & (Q6)! Shouldn't conductors keep up with service changes, and hours of operation on other routes as well? The most pathetic announcement I heard; I was on the (Q) < This is when the (J) was running between Essex and Prospect Pk, so the (4) was suspended between Atlantic Av and Bklyn Bridge >, Yet again at Atlantic Av: Change here for the (J) Shuttle, (D)(N)(R)(2)(3)(4) Trains.....

No further statements Your Honor:eek:

Its sad to say, but the conductors on the (Q) 99% of the time ALWAYS announce at Atlantic Av, transfer to the (2)(3)(4)(5). Okay, nothing wrong with that, but hearing that announcement late nights, and weekends, then theirs issues. This past August, I was on a (7) train, who announced at 42 St / 5 Av, transfer to the (:rolleyes:(D)(F) & (Q6)! Shouldn't conductors keep up with service changes, and hours of operation on other routes as well? The most pathetic announcement I heard; I was on the (Q) < This is when the (J) was running between Essex and Prospect Pk, so the (4) was suspended between Atlantic Av and Bklyn Bridge >, Yet again at Atlantic Av: Change here for the (J) Shuttle, (D)(N)(R)(2)(3)(4) Trains.....

No further statements Your Honor:eek:

Not really as the train will eventually show up. Doesn't matter if it's 3 hrs or 2 days later. Unless that line doesn't run there at all anymore, the train still stops there, regardless of when.........

In Most cases train crews only know about service changes on thier own line or lines they run with. We can look up service changes on other lines but that takes up too much free time for some people and the change may or may not be in effect because we not told when work on other lines have been cancelled. So I can read a notice made out last week and tell you there is no (C) Service then you find out the (C) train is running.

Also on anthor note until I was forced into the B Div I worked the (4)(5) Lines weekends and never knew there was no (J) service at Fulton St. I also tought the (M) went to Chambers but now that I work the B Div I seen the light.

Archived