Pittsburgh's Underground

N-Trizzy2609

I am not sure, but I believe that they are like former interurban railways that ran on their own right of way except when in town, they ran on street trackage. Now that they have their own subway in town, they probably don't do any street running.

I guess we'll have to wait for someone that knows for sure to repond....

I'm from Pittsburgh I can answer your question...YES this is Street Running In Beechview (South Hills, 42 Series Routes) and Parts of Dormont as the trains bypass Streets to reach Dormont Station (South Hills, 42 Series Routes) you made it here Just in time before the Big Switchover to Color-Coded lines there are no More 42, 47 or 52 routes Any Route Going Through Beechview is now marked as the "Red Line" anything Traveling on the Overbrook Line is now the "Blue Line" and the 52 Allentown is now the "Brown Line"....

pat4303beechview.jpg

Speaking of the Brown Line that is also Street Running that whole Route is nothing but Street until it reaches the Panhandle Bridge on the Inbound and until it Reaches South Hills Junction on the Outbound.

Oh yeah! I used to ride it when I was living there! I notice that the "T" symbol is hard to see on some of those cars, is it like a watermark on them? Was that one crossover recent? It looks clean and recent!

I'll miss the 42 and 47 designations! Interestingly, I believe the color-coding system is nothing new. Though it's official now, I remember on most maps and signage since the light rail opened usually had the Beechview lines colored red and the Overbrook lines blue!

Archived