Despite a union lawsuit, MTA transit execs derail 250 clerks to fill $800M budget

primomjr78

Hundreds of token booth clerks were laid off Tuesday - essentially for the second time in a week.

The 250 clerks were hours from turning in their uniforms and badges last Thursday when NYC Transit was forced by a court order to slam on the brakes.

Over the weekend, transit officials issued another round of pink slips - and this time, a judge refused to intervene.

"It's like a yo-yo," said Laurenia Jarrett, 27, carrying a plastic garbage bag holding her uniforms into a NYC Transit building in Brooklyn.

Jarrett, who is seven months pregnant and has an 8-year-old daughter, is her family's sole breadwinner, she said. She plans to file for unemployment and look for work.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/11/2010-05-11_250_mta_clerks_derailed_despite_a_union_suit_transit_executives_start_layoffs_to.html#ixzz0nie7RhhZ

post-2648-13328858177_thumb.jpg

post-2648-13328858177_thumb.jpg

The MTA laid off 266 station agents this morning.

I already saw some of the signs at some stations, specifically at Clinton - Washington Avenues on the downtown (C) platform:

Effective May 7th, 2010, a station assistant will no longer be assigned to this station.

What are they going to do with the empty booths?

For the most part, demolish them. An example being the Empire Boulevard and Flatbush Avenue exit at the Prospect Park (:P(Q)(S) station.

For the most part, demolish them. An example being the Empire Boulevard and Flatbush Avenue exit at the Prospect Park (:P(Q)(S) station.

I thought the ones who were laid off today were roaming agents.

http://www.1010wins.com/MTA-Lays-Off-Station-Agents-Despite-Judge-s-Order/7020836

MTA Lays Off Subway Station Agents Despite Judge's Order

NEW YORK (AP/ 1010 WINS) -- The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has started laying off subway station agents despite a judge's order that stalled the cuts.

Juliet Papa reports

Transit Union officials say 266 agents have turned in their badges. More than 500 workers were slated to be laid off last week. However, a court-ordered injunction temporarily stalled the layoffs.

The MTA says it can lay off 250 station agents, keep station booths manned at all times and still obey the injunction.

A judge will hold a hearing tomorrow on the planned layoffs of 212 more workers.

The MTA says the job cuts are necessary to close an $800 million budget gap.

News says differently-this is how they got around the restraining order.

http://wap.myfoxny.com/w/main/story/10952846/MTA Cuts Roaming Station Agents

May 10, 2010 8:12 p.m.

Last week 500 MTA station agents were set to be laid off when a judge issued a temporary restraining order saving their jobs. But the MTA has found a way around it, telling 250 agents as of first thing Tuesday morning, they're done.

"The move by the MTA to notify workers was a blindside shot to get around the TRO," said John Samuleson, the president of TWU Local 100. "That's the way the MTA does business."

The judge issued a temporary restraining order because the MTA was set to close 42 subway booths, thus eliminating the agents that work in them, without a public hearing in more than 18 months. So, by blocking the closures the jobs were saved.

But the MTA has informed 250 agents who patrol the platforms and are not stationed in a booth that they are finished.

The MTA said that its nearly $800 million budget shortfall has forced the transit authority to make these difficult cuts.

But the union insists the layoffs are unnecessary and dangerous.

So unless the union gets another last-minute injunction, the station agents who roam the platforms will be gone Tuesday. Those who work in the booths will have their fate decided by a judge.

Roaming agents were eliminated last year.

First off let me clarify this for everyone. Roaming agents aka SCA agents did not get eliminated last year. Those booths will be fully closed as of the beginning of the new S/A summer pick sometime in july. And the MTA is full of crap most SCA agents were old timers, because they liked the loose work rules and did not have to deal with money. All of the S/A's laid off today had less then 5 years like I do and worked in revenue booths. The woman they interviewed on NY1 I know personally. She use to relieve me at night at the 149st-3rd ave station, north bound plat. If that's the excuse the TA is trying to get away with it's weak and will end up backfiring on them because they won't able to use that same statement to lay off me and 211 of my other co-workers. If they lose in court and have to keep the booths open then they won't be able to lay off the rest of the list. Most S/A's have been refusing O/T forcing Station Command to find reliefs for S/A's that get stuck into doubles. I feel deeply for the 266 S/A's that have been cut today. I feel fortunate to be still working for the time being. This is a very sad day in TA/TWU history, this the first ever lay off's and unfortunately it won't be the last. Our union has been literally brought to it's knees. Next contract negotiations will be a mess. The union will have take what ever the MTA shoves down it's throat. If we look for a raise they will enforce lay off's to balance the cost of wage increases and the union will have to agree to OPTO for the lines the TA want's to put it into place on if they want a raise. If they don't agree to the terms then expect three zeros in a row for the life of the contract. We as a union must come together and be stronger than ever, and that's why when I get off work tomorrow morning I'am going to down to the court house on 60 centre street to have my voice heard, I hope every other union member will be there too. I'm sorry I've ranted on for a long time but it became personal when I saw someone I know on TV, now unemployed .:tdown:

Yes thats correct Will all the SA's that are getting laid off or were laid off all have 5 years or less of experience. This is how the civil service law works. Its last in first out. Everything is based on seniority. The SA's that have over 5 years are good for now. Next year however they are looking to cut another 300 so they are only temporarily safe.

Yes thats correct Will all the SA's that are getting laid off or were laid off all have 5 years or less of experience. This is how the civil service law works. Its last in first out. Everything is based on seniority. The SA's that have over 5 years are good for now. Next year however they are looking to cut another 300 so they are only temporarily safe.

Well it's not exactly working that linear. People who have previous service in other titles for more than 3 years plus 2 years station agents are fine now. And people that have prior civil service plus time as an S/A are fine. A few people I know where B/O's for 5 years and S/A's for 2 are good. And other people with say 5 years Traffic, NYPD, school safety or corrections ect and a 3 years TA your good. And military service also counts as time served. So it's pretty messed up.

Right now we have lots of OT available in RTO and no shorage of crews signing up for it.

Sometimes I think the problem isn't the union, the problem is US. If these clerk layoffs were taking place in France, the trains would NOT be running AT ALL. People only react here when it personally affects them.

heres some highlights from today(i know of a few clerks who had to go today)

-they get to cash in their sick time,avas, vac, etc....

-on a list for 4 years; are eligible to take any promotional job(if they were on a list for conductor, they could take the job)

-lets say they lay off more clerks, the first batch who got laid off WILL BE called first; ex, the guys today would be called first as opposed to if tommorrow,they lay off the other round, those would be called last

-their benefits run out on the 31st of this month

-they were given a 7 day unlimited card

-they were told to return thursday to do their unemployment; you can guess how many may go back and do it(they'll probably do it at home)

-supposedly the unemployment doesnt kick in until they they are paid out(final checks, sick,ava,etc)

willieb, i"ll be up there tomorrow; i'll keep u posted on my attire, so we can chat a bit..........

what if the list hasn't even been created yet? will their names still be placed on it? (i.e. Train Operator, June 6th 2009)

i would assume so, even though s/a werent eligible to take the promotional exam(only c/r and i think tower were);they would be on the o/c list......

heres some highlights from today(i know of a few clerks who had to go today)

-they get to cash in their sick time,avas, vac, etc....

-on a list for 4 years; are eligible to take any promotional job(if they were on a list for conductor, they could take the job)

-lets say they lay off more clerks, the first batch who got laid off WILL BE called first; ex, the guys today would be called first as opposed to if tommorrow,they lay off the other round, those would be called last

-their benefits run out on the 31st of this month

-they were given a 7 day unlimited card

-they were told to return thursday to do their unemployment; you can guess how many may go back and do it(they'll probably do it at home)

-supposedly the unemployment doesnt kick in until they they are paid out(final checks, sick,ava,etc)

willieb, i"ll be up there tomorrow; i'll keep u posted on my attire, so we can chat a bit..........

Thanx for the info Rtype. And I will be out there in full uniform, becaue I'am coming directly from work. That's good to here about the Promo exams. I'am on the C/R list #244 and the T/O I'm not sure yet until they release the scores. I'm glad they are paying for the sick time though. because that was the biggest rumor out there saying they was not going to pay you for it.

Thanx for the info Rtype. And I will be out there in full uniform, becaue I'am coming directly from work. That's good to here about the Promo exams. I'am on the C/R list #244 and the T/O I'm not sure yet until they release the scores. I'm glad they are paying for the sick time though. because that was the biggest rumor out there saying they was not going to pay you for it.

willie, i just asked again, supposedly they told one group they were getting paid sick, they told another they arent......so no one knows for sure in regards to sick(the second group was told 10 years or more in order to get paid sic).

i'll have on a blue hoodie;im not sure about the rest of the outfit though..but i will be there though.....

That is true

exactly we are sealing our own deal.

When DOB has these special Good Fri or Christmas/NY eve picks no one should pick off and on Holidays No one should pick off Let them Pay 40 to 50 guys to hang around the depot and we'll see how fast that will stop but No your own Union brother will screw you!

willie, i just asked again, supposedly they told one group they were getting paid sick, they told another they arent......so no one knows for sure in regards to sick(the second group was told 10 years or more in order to get paid sic).

i'll have on a blue hoodie;im not sure about the rest of the outfit though..but i will be there though.....

Well 10 years would not make any sense, since they were only laying off people with less than 5 years on the job who had no previous TA service or civil service time, as well as military time. I'll find out the real from people who have actually been laid off. I haven't called anyone cause I can imagine they are still shock as I will be when the axe finally comes down on me. I was looking at the video on the dailynews website

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/11/2010-05-11_despite_a_union_lawsuit_mta_transit_execs_derail_250_clerks_to_fill_800m_budget_.html and it was very emotional cause lots of people I seen on video are people I know.

... No your own Union brother will screw you!

Exactly. We could be Teamsters, or BLE, or UTU, or any other union; but, if we don't stick together, then we're a union in name only. A union is only as good as the members who belong to it.

Archived