Jon's LIRR RFW Adventure!

I was lucky to catch an M3 on my way home today, and got in the first car.

IMG_5552.JPG

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG

IMG_5578.JPG

**Bonus Shots**

Professional LIRR seat repair job

IMG_5579.JPG

So long M-3 chances are I may not see you again for a long time.

IMG_5581.JPG

Can I ask why M3's rock?

From a passenger perspective they suck. Seats are too low, you can't put your head back. Bathrooms are nasty and small. Brakes STINK. Ride OK but not as nice as M7. A/C oftern broken. Maybe the only thing better is the fact that the doors open equitably.

Can I ask why M3's rock?

From a passenger perspective they suck. Seats are too low, you can't put your head back. Bathrooms are nasty and small. Brakes STINK. Ride OK but not as nice as M7. A/C oftern broken. Maybe the only thing better is the fact that the doors open equitably.

Those bathrooms can stink up a whole car.

Those bathrooms can stink up a whole car.

No different than the M-7s I once got in one that stunk terrible cuz of the bathroom, I should have suspected something was up on a train where everyone is standing and here is this one car with all seats open.

Can I ask why M3's rock?

From a passenger perspective they suck. Brakes STINK.

Brakes generally smell of that strong acrid odor if the engineer made a very aggressive stop, or just because the M3's are old cars - or both. M3 equipment as two forms of brakes: dynamics and friction. When the engineer applies the brakes, those two types are designed to work together, Braking applications will rely primarily on the dynamics to provide the initial slowing, with friction blending in with the dynamic brakes . However, the dynamics have been known to fail on much of the older equipment, causing braking applications to be reliant solely on the friction brakes. Coming to a stop burns up the pads, and you get that foul smell at the stations.

No different than the M-7s I once got in one that stunk terrible cuz of the bathroom, I should have suspected something was up on a train where everyone is standing and here is this one car with all seats open.

Brakes generally smell of that strong acrid odor if the engineer made a very aggressive stop, or just because the M3's are old cars - or both. M3 equipment as two forms of brakes: dynamics and friction. When the engineer applies the brakes, those two types are designed to work together, Braking applications will rely primarily on the dynamics to provide the initial slowing, with friction blending in with the dynamic brakes . However, the dynamics have been known to fail on much of the older equipment, causing braking applications to be reliant solely on the friction brakes. Coming to a stop burns up the pads, and you get that foul smell at the stations.

:P That bathroom thing is not good, but I do kinda like smelling the brake pads.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived