R-44 5460 Lives!

bklyntekgeek

I was on the way to Manhattan today and when waiting for the A at Grant Ave., I saw car R-44 #5460 in service today.

Although on NYCSubway.org, it was stated that this set was retired as of 5/1/2010.

Link is here:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?111737

I wished I took a picture of it.

Guess there were many R-46's running for the GO today they needed that set as a fill in?

Glad to take it though :D

It was taken out of service on 5/1/10 but then 207th repaired it.This car had a severe swaying and suspension problem.But now thats fixed so it was back in service days later.You're about 2 weeks late on this.You like the R44's I recommend the fast one 5432 she moves! 5380 is a good one also one of the few 44's that move pretty good.

Yeah. Been away for two weeks. Thanks for the update though. Glad to see it back in service and not "retired".

This car has not been away for 2 weeks you just haven't seen it around due to decrease of 44's in service.Like I said days later it was back in service after 5/1.Less than 1week it was back.

This car has not been away for 2 weeks you just haven't seen it around due to decrease of 44's in service.Like I said days later it was back in service after 5/1.Less than 1week it was back.

I meant I was away for two weeks. Didn't get a chance to catch up on stuff until last night.

It was taken out of service on 5/1/10 but then 207th repaired it.This car had a severe swaying and suspension problem.But now thats fixed so it was back in service days later.You're about 2 weeks late on this.You like the R44's I recommend the fast one 5432 she moves! 5380 is a good one also one of the few 44's that move pretty good.
They're repairing 44's? :confused: (And with severe problems, yet!) I thought the whole thing now was that they were getting rid of them.

They're repairing 44's? :confused: (And with severe problems, yet!) I thought the whole thing now was that they were getting rid of them.

The entire fleet is not severe.But that set was needed if it was repaired.That was before the R32/46 swap.

Still, I thought that because of enough cars with apparent severe problems, that was why they were ceasing fixing/maintaining them, and simply replacing them with the 46's, and keeping the 32's and 42's to replace them.

Still, I thought that because of enough cars with apparent severe problems, that was why they were ceasing fixing/maintaining them, and simply replacing them with the 46's, and keeping the 32's and 42's to replace them.

Damn the reason these cars are like this is b\c they ran these cars to death and salt water which weakened the structure-carbon steel.If these weren't on the (A) they would last longer as well as the 38's and especially the Slants.Salt water hurted their body structure.

Interesting b/c this really contradictes a thread that a FOAMER put out weeks ago.

It's not a matter of enough cars or not. As long as it plays by the MTA's system, one train does it all. Besides, the recently retired well-reputed Engineer Gene Sansone always hated this fleet for the structural problems which probably explains why they were in such a rush to inspect them after the SIRT R44s got inspected.

Its the operators that make them move, not the cars :P

I'd like to reason with myself that with the MTA crying broke, it probably doesn't look good on them to be throwing trains away unless they're absolutely beyond repair whatsoever. But that's just what I think.

The 44's have the best door chime in the system. I'll give it that.

Agree! The only other fleet chimes that can probably match the R44 chime are those on the R62/A. The R46 chimes are just out of whack and the R68/A chimes fluctuate.

Archived