Any reason why LIRR/MNRR Train Engineers aren't wearing uniforms?

Shortline Bus

Guys i have a general LIRR/MNRR question? Why does their Motorman/Train Engineers do not wear uniforms? (NYCT) (subway)Train Opeartors are required to wear ones so i wonder why can't LIRR/Metro North T/O's?

I actually seen on a few occasion usually late nights on weekends, those Engineers only wear a crappy torn t-shirt and shorts. I am not asking them to wear a 'suit and tie' but man they should IMO be in uniform just like the Conductors on (MTA)railroads?

What you guys think of a basic uniform for MNRR/LIRR Engineers?:eek::confused:

For Metro North specifically it is not required for them to wear one unless you are in contact directly with the customer, for which engineers are not. Now, I know you're gonna say the same thing for T/Os but NYCT =/= MNR, and T/Os interact with riders a lot more than engineers on any railroad...

Guys i have a general LIRR/MNRR question? Why does their Motorman/Train Engineers do not wear uniforms? (NYCT) (subway)Train Opeartors are required to wear ones so i wonder why can't LIRR/Metro North T/O's?

I actually seen on a few occasion usually late nights on weekends, those Engineers only wear a crappy torn t-shirt and shorts. I am not asking them to wear a 'suit and tie' but man they should IMO be in uniform just like the Conductors on (MTA)railroads?

What you guys think of a basic uniform for MNRR/LIRR Engineers?:eek::confused:

The (MTA) doesn't want either of their railroads enforcing uniform wear because the LIRR and the MNRR would have pay for both the purchasing and the cleaning of the uniforms for each engineer. The BLE would never in a million years even come close to having uniforms purchased and cleaned through union dues and increased paycheck deductions.

Not to mention. . . . Have you ever noticed how mobbed the uniformed crew members get by passengers on the platforms, in the cars. . . . all over the damn place. Imagine the field day that people would have with the engineers if uniforms were required!

The lack of public interaction is also a deciding factor.

LIRR and MNR do not have any "motormen" on the books. On the other hand, they do have quite a list of locomotive engineers.

As for uniforms, it's simply not needed. They are employees in engine service, not train service. Since you mentioned the TA, their employees shouldn't have to wear uniforms except those dealing directly with the public. In the 70s, people knew you were the motorman with the dirty t-shirt and plethora of keys dangling from your belt.

As mentioned, its probably due to tradition. Locomotive Engineers and Firemen on railroads never wore formal uniforms in North America. Even when engineers manned the controls of electric MU cars, they are still considered 'enginemen.

In the steam days, they donned 'de-facto' uniforms of striped bib overalls, cap, and bandana, along with their Hamilton 992 pocket watches, etc.

Someone mentioned wearing a suit. I have seen enginemen in Metroliner cabs years ago have enough pride in their job to wear at least a tie and sport jacket, on their own.

That said, I think it would look more professional if the railroads provided at least a nice uniform coverall for engineers to wear on the job.

Edited by traildriver
typo

LIRR and MNR do not have any "motormen" on the books. On the other hand, they do have quite a list of locomotive engineers.

As for uniforms, it's simply not needed. They are employees in engine service, not train service. Since you mentioned the TA, their employees shouldn't have to wear uniforms except those dealing directly with the public. In the 70s, people knew you were the motorman with the dirty t-shirt and plethora of keys dangling from your belt.

They wore uniforms back then buddy :P look around on nycsubway.org. You'll see 'em.

They wore uniforms back then buddy :P look around on nycsubway.org. You'll see 'em.

Post a picture...

Also the LIRR has a very strong union that would fight any attempt to make their members wear uniforms.

Someone mentioned wearing a suit. I have seen enginemen in Metroliner cabs years ago have enough pride in their job to wear at least a tie and sport jacket, on their own.

I can't see that being comfortable to wear while doing their work. Personally, I'd love to have my tie get wrapped up in an M2 master controller or a cuff button get snapped on a switch or some other clothes-catcher.

Post a picture...

Also the LIRR has a very strong union that would fight any attempt to make their members wear uniforms.

They DID.

Believe it or not, the union over there has actually been working closely with the LIRR in designing an L/E-exclusive uniform as well as enforcing its wear while on the job. This is largely in part to the engineer who let that passenger operate the train coming through Woodside last year. Part of the purpose behind enforcing uniform-wear would differentiate wood-popping rail-droolers who would jump at the chance to grab the control without any regard for themselves or the public from qualified engineers. Please refer to this page:

Engineer Uniforms

*Special thanks to RAILROAD.NET for this linked information.

However, LIRR engineers usually do have a strict dress code with respect to the type of regulation shoes and legwear that must be worn.

Where did you get that information from? Closed-toe shoes and long pants? They can't wear steel-toe boots because of the electrocution hazard around third-rails.

Where did you get that information from? Closed-toe shoes and long pants? They can't wear steel-toe boots because of the electrocution hazard around third-rails.

I can't speak for LIRR but Metro North spells out what type of boots must be worn. Some of the spec's include "a defined heel", "slip-resistant soles" and "At least a six-inch high ankle".

As far as uniforms, the only personnel required to wear uniforms are those that directly interact with the passengers. These include conductors, ticket sellers, ushers, customer service rep's and commissary personnel (bartenders).

What you guys think?

Engineers are seldom seen by the public except for the occasional glimpse in a cab car or emu and never seen if in a locomotive. The exception is when they detrain @ GCT.

I personally think it would be a waste of money to supply uniforms to engineers based on the seldom interaction with passengers.

However, LIRR engineers usually do have a strict dress code with respect to the type of regulation shoes and legwear that must be worn.

While that is not a uniform, it is done for safety. Loose clothing can get caught on passing trains or equipment and drag workers. Boots are a no brainier when on railroad property.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Hello, I am an NYCT train operator with 32 years of service. When I started NYCT motorman/train operators didn't have to wear uniforms either. What happened was some train operator started showing up to work wearing inappropriate clothing, three piece suits, wide brimmed pimp style hats on an on an on. So they started to put us in uniforms so we wouldn't look so clownish. Also, there is no operational difference between the titles motorman and train operator. The title changed because women were now working the job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/10/2010 at 5:35 AM, Rutgers Tube said:

The steel itself is encased in rubber. Steel-toed boots are only a hazard if the rubber is worn off and the steel is exposed. As long as the boots are EH rated, you're OK.