Do you own an iPod Touch?

ctrain

I have a jailbroken 8 gig with windows vista on it;)
What do you folks mean by "jailbroken"?

I don't understand the 'lingo'.

i have the 64GB itouch.... wish they'd come out with a 128GB version. :confused:

Damn... lots of songs/vids? Also how many pages of apps can that version store?

What do you folks mean by "jailbroken"?

I don't understand the 'lingo'.

To "jailbreak" your iPod/iPhone is to allow it to work beyond its normal capabilities. In 2007 when the first gen iTouch came out people were already looking into hacking the then-current firmware through a TIFF exploit. This was done through firmware 1.1.1; release of version 1.1.2 patched the TIFF exploit, preventing that firmware release form being jailbroken until some other genius figured it out. Since then, every firmware release has been jailbroken.

In addition, the iPhone can be jailbroken by making it work with another mobile network such as T-Mobile. That's why the iPhones people find online that are "unlocked" (can be used with any network that requires use of a SIM card which T-Mobile and AT&T does), cost more than the current iPhone (FYI, the price of the iPhone is actually MORE than advertised, MUCH more! (3x more I think.) The price is $200 as advertised because that's how much one would have to pay for it with the two-year contract). I desperately wanted to get a jailbroken iPhone but since I my mom was leaving T-Mobile anyway I'd figure that it wasn't worth it since we're going to AT&T soon.

Generally, it's not so much a good idea to jailbreak your iPod touch/iPhone because it causes some features to become defunct. When I jailbroke my first iTouch I couldn't add events to my calendar (kinda petty but I didn't like it so I took the jailbreak off). Also, a jailbroken iTouch/iPhone isn't covered under Apple warranty but you can get rid of the jailbreak by restoring your iPod through iTunes and it's like it was never there.

Other MP3s and mobile devices can be jailbroken as well. If you see a phone that's been unlocked, it's been jailbroken in order for the phone to work with more than one network.

To "jailbreak" your iPod/iPhone is to allow it to work beyond its normal capabilities. In 2007 when the first gen iTouch came out people were already looking into hacking the then-current firmware through a TIFF exploit. This was done through firmware 1.1.1; release of version 1.1.2 patched the TIFF exploit, preventing that firmware release form being jailbroken until some other genius figured it out. Since then, every firmware release has been jailbroken.

In addition, the iPhone can be jailbroken by making it work with another mobile network such as T-Mobile. That's why the iPhones people find online that are "unlocked" (can be used with any network that requires use of a SIM card which T-Mobile and AT&T does), cost more than the current iPhone (FYI, the price of the iPhone is actually MORE than advertised, MUCH more! (3x more I think.) The price is $200 as advertised because that's how much one would have to pay for it with the two-year contract). I desperately wanted to get a jailbroken iPhone but since I my mom was leaving T-Mobile anyway I'd figure that it wasn't worth it since we're going to AT&T soon.

Generally, it's not so much a good idea to jailbreak your iPod touch/iPhone because it causes some features to become defunct. When I jailbroke my first iTouch I couldn't add events to my calendar (kinda petty but I didn't like it so I took the jailbreak off). Also, a jailbroken iTouch/iPhone isn't covered under Apple warranty but you can get rid of the jailbreak by restoring your iPod through iTunes and it's like it was never there.

Other MP3s and mobile devices can be jailbroken as well. If you see a phone that's been unlocked, it's been jailbroken in order for the phone to work with more than one network.

Unlocked and Jailbroken are two different terms. Jailbroken iPhones won't work with other GSM carriers but an unlocked iPhone will.

Unlocked and Jailbroken are two different terms. Jailbroken iPhones won't work with other GSM carriers but an unlocked iPhone will.

I see now, thanks for clearing that up.

What was wrong with the traditional rotary interface on iPods?

Apple still wants $200-250 for them. I wanted the classic but at the price I figured paying $50 more to have an iPod with internet and games would be a better buy. I'm glad I got an iPod touch. One of the best investments of my life.

Sounds like a device for pedophiles :P

A reason why I choose to call it iPod Touch. iTouch sounds weird.

• 1 month later...
I hate to bring back this thread but it's better than just making another one :)

Is the iPod touch worth the money or should I just fix my iPod classic's battery?

Yes it is...why? Simple...Internet.

Archived