Staten Island ferry back in service after crashing in May, injuring 48

Shortline Bus

Staten Island ferry back in service after crashing in May, injuring 48

By Henrick Karoliszyn and Barry Paddock

NY DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Sunday, June 20th 2010

The trouble-prone Staten Island ferry taken out of service after it crashed and injured 48 people in May returned to its route Sunday morning.

Most passengers were unafraid to ride the seemingly cursed Andrew J. Barberi, which also crashed in October 2003 after its pilot blacked out, killing 11 people.

The vessel went back into service with a 9:30 a.m. run from Staten Island to Manhattan.

"We have to live our lives," said Lester Squires, 53, of Staten Island, a retired NYPD detective who was on the first trip. "If you go about things worrying about what you can't control, that's senseless."

A few passengers were on edge.

"I feel nervous, of course," said Amineul Ahmed, 55, a Staten Island restaurant worker. "When there's an accident, people have to worry about their lives."

On Friday, investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board released findings that a faulty engine propulsion system was likely behind the most recent crash. The ship's pilots and crew were powerless to stop the boat when it slammed into the St. George terminal on Staten Island May 8.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/06/20/2010-06-20_staten_island_ferry_back_in_service_after_crashing_in_may_injuring_48.html

I'll still ride it if it's the boat that shows up at the dock. I'm not waiting 30min for the next boat.

I am sure the media makes this an issue and yet I am sure (MTA) buses over the years have been involved in accidents that injured people as well and more than likely was also put back on the road.:confused:

God forbid if that thing gets into another wreck,I would be convinced that it is cursed.

In fact, when the Barberi crashed, the news headline said "Cursed boat crashes again" , but I don't think it's cursed. Every once in a while, an accident will happen. Besides, the Barberi has not been the only ferry to get into an accident.

hell no. why would they put it back in service after 2 incidents? like c'mon... thank god i have no reason to ride that ferry, and if i ever have to go to/from Staten Island, its either the S53, S79, S93 LTD, or the X1, X10. no way in hell am i taking that ferry.:tdown:

hell no. why would they put it back in service after 2 incidents? like c'mon... thank god i have no reason to ride that ferry, and if i ever have to go to/from Staten Island, its either the S53, S79, S93 LTD, or the X1, X10. no way in hell am i taking that ferry.:tdown:

Past events have zero influence on the probability of an event occuring again. There is no such thing as a cursed Barberi.

Some people have irrational fears. I rode that boat a few years after the 1st crash. I didn't worry about anything happening. Plus it could happen to any boat. What am I going to do? Bypass the ferry because of fears every boat could crash?

Let's be reasonable here.

Thank you. Someone here understands.

It's the paranoia that some folks who aren't even using it everyday have. People from that island are on a rush. They take whatever boat comes first. If it's the Barberi, they go on the Barberi. It just happens on chance.. they've ridden the thing probably like everyday and nothing happens except on those 2 days.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Its actually its 3rd crash in its lifetime. If its still in ship shape then I find nothing wrong with it

Past events have zero influence on the probability of an event occuring again. There is no such thing as a cursed Barberi.

Are you using valid logic and reason to argue on the internet? For shame!

Archived