You won't find a free ride here. MTA inspectors keep Bx12 fare-beaters in check

Y2Julio

It's the media. They're just looking for a story to capitalise on. That's what they do everyday.

I'm pretty sure this was actually brought to the media's attention by the mayor and the MTA after all the public discussions that have been going on on this board and others.

Ya and the M15 is next for this lol

Well i guess you are right. But maybe an alternative to Inspectors would do. Like Have an inspector ride the bus, when passengers enter the back, front or middle(LFSA ONLY) a scanner checks the receipt anywhere if it can be used. Receipt have a chip inside for detection. Any1 with none fare inspector gets em off. But then again thats my imagination lol

They need to get PayPass Metrocards that swipe automatically, as you enter the bus.

I'm pretty sure this was actually brought to the media's attention by the mayor and the MTA after all the public discussions that have been going on on this board and others.

They need to get PayPass Metrocards that swipe automatically, as you enter the bus.

TAP and GO!!!!

isnt the (MTA) in the future plans to do that but wont require debit/credit cards?

I know now its needed. On some routes of the bus and Lex

Yes!

This is how sad the MTA is. When the MTA came up with MetroCard Gold, smart card technology was already up and running in some places already.

However though, how do you make sure everyone taps?

Ummm cameras maybe? Evertime someone taps it makes a nice beep noise . or maybe fare inspectors at the bus stop? This is where the problems arise. Its a bus (crowded most of the time) with three doors. Thats hard to maintain. And its in the Bronx:p

Would that be a problem if everybody boards up at the front? Like they would get their ticket as usual and show it to the bus driver... then the inspectors can be sure that no one got on without paying.

isnt the (MTA) in the future plans to do that but wont require debit/credit cards?

I know now its needed. On some routes of the bus and Lex

Yes!

This is how sad the MTA is. When the MTA came up with MetroCard Gold, smart card technology was already up and running in some places already.

However though, how do you make sure everyone taps?

Yep MTA is planning on PayPass. The way I would set it up, you don't even need to swipe/tap. If the pass is anywhere on the person, it would automatically swipe as they boarded the bus.

Would that be a problem if everybody boards up at the front? Like they would get their ticket as usual and show it to the bus driver... then the inspectors can be sure that no one got on without paying.

Yes it would be a problem if everyone had to board up front. Dwell times would increase, and this would defeat the whole purpose of SBS, and/or having 3 doors.

Yep MTA is planning on PayPass. The way I would set it up, you don't even need to swipe/tap. If the pass is anywhere on the person, it would automatically swipe as they boarded the bus.

Yes it would be a problem if everyone had to board up front. Dwell times would increase, and this would defeat the whole purpose of SBS, and/or having 3 doors.

How could you set it up so it doesn't need to be tapped? Also, what if the person had the pass, but also had a regular MetroCard that they wanted to use (like if it were about to expire). They might be carrying it for the trip home and might not want the pass to swipe.

Wait if Paypass gets used for NY & NJ, doesnt this mean that the fares would be the same for both states? (TriState)

And is Bee-Line gonna do this?

If Beeline does do this, it will be way after the (MTA) uses it. Just like they did with the metrocard. But I don't think you'll be sing the paypass on buses (MTA and Neeline) anytime soon yet.

Ah okaie, so it was also like that in the time when there was only New Flyer D60HF? Too bad here in Montreal we can't board up by the rear doors... It's at the front, as always!:mad:

iam sorry to say but i think the select service bus are the dum idea due to the fact that so many people cheat the bus and ride for free they should just run the line like normal skip stop limited bus and have every one use there metro at the front like a normal bus

iam sorry to say but i think the select service bus are the dum idea due to the fact that so many people cheat the bus and ride for free they should just run the line like normal skip stop limited bus and have every one use there metro at the front like a normal bus

Exactly, Select Bus service is more like Select to pay or not bus service to some people. With the overcrowding on the Bx12 -SBS-, I was able to get to my destination faster on the Bx12 Local. The last time I checked, (MTA) promised us faster service with +SBS+. If you are looking for a seat on the Bx12 & a faster ride, use the Bx12 Local.

Exactly, Select Bus service is more like Select to pay or not bus service to some people. With the overcrowding on the Bx12 -SBS-, I was able to get to my destination faster on the Bx12 Local. The last time I checked, (MTA) promised us faster service with +SBS+. If you are looking for a seat on the Bx12 & a faster ride, use the Bx12 Local.

yeah i know what you mean i see people just walk in the sbs bx12 never stoping to pay and you are right about the local i was waiting for the local bx12 and 2 sbs bx12 pass by super packed and when my bx12 came a cupple mins latter it was nice and empty ^_^

I think they should just keep inspectors on the buses, to check receipts on-board the bus. Now I'm not saying pay an extra 20-30 inspectors to staff every bus at all times, but have, say, 10 inspectors (the current level of staffing is "at least 2 rounds of inspectors every day" according to the article, so this is not much of an increase), assigned to certain buses. I know there are 33 buses assigned for SBS service, so let's say about 20-25 of those run in regular SBS service. By staffing half of these buses with inspectors you are catching at least half of these farebeaters on the spot. Also, the (MTA) wouldn't be losing money due to other farebeaters either. Remember that the cost of a farebeating ticket is $100, while a typical fare is $2.25. That means one farebeater caught cancels out another 44 people farebeating. And since fare collection would be more enforced, it would lead to a decrease in farebeating as you have a 50/50 chance of being checked for your ticket.

Which would you rather have as fare enforcement?

Select Bunch Service method- A team of fare inspectors that is routinely M.I.A.

OR

Traditional Method- A bus operator who is told not to confront riders who get on without paying, even the ones who get on through the front.

With the lack of fare enforcement overall, not just on SBS, it is a shock that a high percentage of riders even bother to pay the fare. The whole bus system is vulnerable to farebeating. Maybe people think that the presence of a bus operator watching people pay is a form of fare enforcement hence why they will pay in front of the bus driver. The name I used for SBS is a tribute to the bus bunching that occurs often on Bx12 SBS.

Archived