You won't find a free ride here. MTA inspectors keep Bx12 fare-beaters in check

Y2Julio

The 26-year-old woman rolled the dice - and lost.

She boarded a Bx12 bus in the Bronx last week without first paying the $2.25 fare at a curbside machine. A few stops later, an NYC Transit inspector stepped on, asked riders for receipts - and wrote the woman a $100 ticket for fare-beating.

Welcome to the honor payment system - with teeth.

The Daily News got an inside look at how Transit's Eagle Team of inspectors keep fare evasion in check along the Select Bus Service route in the Bronx - and how they'll soon do the same on Manhattan's East Side.

Some straphangers suspect the system, designed to speed bus travel by having riders pay at the curb, will encourage more rampant fare-beating. Transit officials and Mayor Bloomberg, though, disagree, pointing to their special team of inspectors.

Every day, at least two pairs of inspectors ask riders along the Bx12 line for their receipts. And several times a week, they perform a "surge," stopping a string of buses at a stop and asking every passenger for proof they paid.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bronx/2010/06/17/2010-06-17_dont_do_the_crime__or_you_may_pay_farebeat_fine_on_bx12.html#ixzz0rVVn3DFw

post-1245-133288582087_thumb.jpg

i take that bus everyday. and they are hardly out there. i have gone weeks with out seeing them, and i ride at all times of day from the first stop at 207st to as far as bay plaza. its nice to see them put a show on the the daily news though.

This is just soooo stupid...

The time it takes to stop and check tickets on the whole bus would be so much longer than everyone lining up and putting in their metrocard just like the old way...

Typical MTA idiocy and poor management...oh well what can i say god help them if they try to expand this fail of a program

They can write up all of the tickets that they want to, problem is collecting the $100.00. Most likely if they plead guilty they will pay a reduced fine, but what happens to those who just keep on getting summonses without paying?

Jail? LOL

it turns into a warrant and it increases the longer you dont pay it. I know people who got tickets from cops in the train station when i was in high school that did not pay it and they owe over 1000 dollars on it.

The time it takes to stop and check tickets on the whole bus would be so much longer than everyone lining up and putting in their metrocard just like the old way...

Typical MTA idiocy and poor management...oh well what can i say god help them if they try to expand this fail of a program

ITAWP - SBS is a Fail...if you ask me it saves NO time, because any travel time gained is quick eaten by dwelling longer for people continuously running up and having the bus wait while they get their recipts and then more people run up...I've been on a Bx12 SBS that was dwelled at Fordham Plaza for 8 mins....

And they will find the same problems or even worse with the SBS M15....

Drivers should not be allowed to wait...they want to market this as Subway on wheels...well what if the subway waited for everyone to refill their Metrocards then swipe...you would'nt get anywhere.

Back to the drawling boards MTA....I'm willing to bet SBS doesn't get any further than the M15 before its given fail status...Something needs to change

lol in ottawa we have fare inspectors as well. except our get on a one station and get off at the next around 2-3 at a time ( sometimes 4 ) will get on the bus at the front doors after everyone has got on and will ask for your POP. if you dont have it. it's often a 150$ fine.

These are the buses you will see fare inspectors on in ottawa\

OC%20Transpo%206002.jpg

The practice is not an MTA thing, the POP thing runs in other places such as the HBLR.

To be honest, I THINK Fare inspectors is needed all over the BRT 12. Just becuz they check doesn't mean that other stops people are not farebeating. Fare beating stills goes on even if the (MTA) is stopping farebeaters...

Although idk if everywhere will work as that will slow down the SBS and increase headways.

ITAWP - SBS is a Fail...if you ask me it saves NO time, because any travel time gained is quick eaten by dwelling longer for people continuously running up and having the bus wait while they get their recipts and then more people run up...I've been on a Bx12 SBS that was dwelled at Fordham Plaza for 8 mins....

And they will find the same problems or even worse with the SBS M15....

Drivers should not be allowed to wait...they want to market this as Subway on wheels...well what if the subway waited for everyone to refill their Metrocards then swipe...you would'nt get anywhere.

Back to the drawling boards MTA....I'm willing to bet SBS doesn't get any further than the M15 before its given fail status...Something needs to change

that is, if the ticket machine is even working to begin with lol

To be honest, I THINK Fare inspectors is needed all over the BRT 12. Just becuz they check doesn't mean that other stops people are not farebeating. Fare beating stills goes on even if the (MTA) is stopping farebeaters...

Although idk if everywhere will work as that will slow down the SBS and increase headways.

Can you reword your statement a bit? I don't see your point.

Can you reword your statement a bit? I don't see your point.

Just because this news article says that (MTA) is cracking down on farebeaters on the BRT route its a bunch of crap and false information. When I ride it I don't see any inspectors along the line and people are still farebeating. If the Inspectors were set West Fordham Road and Jerome Avenue heading toward Manhattan, people will still be farebeat before then and get it off before this stop. Idc if the (MTA) says its stopping them, because thats not all the times its sometimes.. Or more like rarely because I dont see a damn inspector anywhere when i ride it. Last time I saw one was in Nov 2009.

Just because this news article says that (MTA) is cracking down on farebeaters on the BRT route its a bunch of crap and false information. When I ride it I don't see any inspectors along the line and people are still farebeating. If the Inspectors were set West Fordham Road and Jerome Avenue heading toward Manhattan, people will still be farebeat before then and get it off before this stop. Idc if the (MTA) says its stopping them, because thats not all the times its sometimes.. Or more like rarely because I dont see a damn inspector anywhere when i ride it. Last time I saw one was in Nov 2009.

How can you tell if a person has a recipt or not? If they ran for the bus and didn't buy a ticket first, they could've bought the ticket, went to eat or something, and then taken the bus. Remember, it is valid for 1 hour.

How can you tell if a person has a recipt or not? If they ran for the bus and didn't buy a ticket first, they could've bought the ticket, went to eat or something, and then taken the bus. Remember, it is valid for 1 hour.

And how do you know if anyone there is farebeating too? Ive seen people ran toward the bus and never even bothered paying to get on. I still think Inspectors or an alternative is needed to reduce fare beating.

What I'm saying is that you can't tell if anybody has a ticket unless you see them holding on to it. For all you know, everybody waiting at the bus stop could be farebeaters who didn't buy a ticket, or they could be using old tickets over and over again. You can never be 100% sure who bought a ticket and who didn't.

It's the media. They're just looking for a story to capitalise on. That's what they do everyday.

Wow they finally started checking! Every time I ride the SBS there are NO fare inspectors. One time I saw one but he was standing at the corner. Even the B/Os are aware of the inspectors not being present. I spoke to one a week ago and he told me there was a group sitting outside doing nothing. Fare beaters are smart and obviously wont get off at the last stop. They'll just get off one stop before and walk a couple of blocks. Yes I do like SBS, but I think its kind of like a free express ride on the Bx 12.

Well hey instead of hating and criticizing lets look on the bright side of this: Free bus rides! lol

Ya and the M15 is next for this lol

What I'm saying is that you can't tell if anybody has a ticket unless you see them holding on to it. For all you know, everybody waiting at the bus stop could be farebeaters who didn't buy a ticket, or they could be using old tickets over and over again. You can never be 100% sure who bought a ticket and who didn't.

Well i guess you are right. But maybe an alternative to Inspectors would do. Like Have an inspector ride the bus, when passengers enter the back, front or middle(LFSA ONLY) a scanner checks the receipt anywhere if it can be used. Receipt have a chip inside for detection. Any1 with none fare inspector gets em off. But then again thats my imagination lol

Archived