Digital signs or scroll signs?

Robert Bosco

I like the roll signs alot but the route letter/number being a roll and the destination digital is good idea. I like the digital because you can watch the signs scroll different destinaton descriptions.

(E) JAMAICA

(E) PARSONS-ARCHER

(E) VIA 53 ST

(7) MAIN ST

(7) FLUSHING LOCAL

(3) HARLEM

(3) 148 ST

For the routes, I like rollsigns better (especially on the front and rear of the train - largely because they are colored, bright, and highly detailed...I know you can SEE the LED's from far but they're not all that "useful" from far unless you're trying for whatever reason to figure out if those two headlights in the tunnel are a work train or not because you can't read them till the train gets closer)

The digital destination signs are better as well, and could be able to allow any station along the route used as a terminal station due to GO's without having to fall back on "shuttle" or "special." But most importantly would be to allow the C/R to change EVERYTHING from one point so that the crew doesn't have to "walk the train" with their sign changers

Rollsigns are the way to go. NYCTA had not used multicolored LEDs on the signs so they are all one color while on maps, each trunk line has its own color. I also think that rollsigns an be seen better even if you only see the color not the letter first. When I was in high school, I had to take the (R) from 9th street to Bay Ridge Ave. When the (M) would come into the station, my frinends and I would see the brown light from the rollsign and would not get up. Once we saw a yellow sign on the train, we knew it was an (R). Plus with rollsigns like the ones they have on the R40s, 42s, 62s, and 68s you can have alot of route flexability, even more so then the R32/38 rollsigns.

I enjoy rollsigns alot but I hate the new LED on the R-160's because, they can't change color. I wish we can have full color LED signs that look like scroll signs. I like the old one alot better though because when they are wrong, they are funny. Like example:

(Q6) :: Bedford Park Blvd to Marcy Avenue (Real train: (D) 205th To Coney Island)

or

(A) :: Jamaica Center to Rockaway Park (Real train: (E) Jamaica Center to World Trade Center)

I enjoy rollsigns alot but I hate the new LED on the R-160's because, they can't change color. I wish we can have full color LED signs that look like scroll signs. I like the old one alot better though because when they are wrong, they are funny. Like example:

(Q6) :: Bedford Park Blvd to Marcy Avenue (Real train: (D) 205th To Coney Island)

or

(A) :: Jamaica Center to Rockaway Park (Real train: (E) Jamaica Center to World Trade Center)

LOL....I love when that happens too

Archived