R160 cbtc question

yoshi

thats what i thought too but when i looked into the cab of an R160 (E) that was sitting on the express track there was a panel that said cbtc so thats what got me to wounder

All R160s have that panel, but the trains themselves have to be modified to be CBTC capable (like the R160s on the (L))

R160As are currently being retrofitted with CBTC, it's expected to finish by 2011.

Were did you get this infomation. Only 8313-8376 have and only will have CBTC installed. This is enought train for the (L) line to make it full CBTC. They even extras so they show up on the (J) and (M) from time to time. There no need for the rest to get CBTC installed and the (MTA) is not going to wast money that they dont have to.

R160As are currently being retrofitted with CBTC, it's expected to finish by 2011.

Really?

Who told you this Lie?

8313-8376 are the Only R160's retrofitted for CBTC for the (L)arry Line.

Before this thread gets locked care to explain further?

Thats good to hear because in a few years I would actually like to be operating a train instead of just pushing a button every now and then. :)

No you wont unless you pick the (L)arry Line or maybe the (7) Line.

New T/O's are not CBTC/ATO qualified in Schoolcar i believe.

You have to Pick that Line get get qualified on it.

Maybe Alex L can help out with that.

So if there is no CBTC on most R160's, is there any kind of GPS system or whatever that tells the T/O and C/R where exactly the train is at anytime (which is an important part of CBTC), or is just like they see a list of what the next station will be?

It seems like without CBTC, there isn't much of a point to having NTT's, other than the fact that they are new, and perhaps that they are "hybrids" in a sense.

It seems like without CBTC, there isn't much of a point to having NTT's, other than the fact that they are new, and perhaps that they are "hybrids" in a sense.

The ride is smoother than any other 60ft long car in our system, the automated announcements are a big improvement compared to the ones done manually, the FINDs are very convenient for passengers (*cough* when their working) espicially tourist, the emergency intercom is also an improvement.

So if there is no CBTC on most R160's, is there any kind of GPS system or whatever that tells the T/O and C/R where exactly the train is at anytime (which is an important part of CBTC), or is just like they see a list of what the next station will be?

R160's are "hybrids?" You mean they run on fuel of some kind other than electricity?

Geez the lies and misinformation I see around here seems to get worse every day.

R160's are "hybrids?" You mean they run on fuel of some kind other than electricity?

Geez the lies and misinformation I see around here seems to get worse every day.

Umm, no. By "hybrid" I was referring to the fact that when braking, the R-160's regenerate some electricity and send it back into the third rail/electrical system, just like a hybrid-electric bus or car regenerates electricity from braking. I realize that "hybrid" does not mean that they have gasoline tanks or whatever. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post, but I am not an idiot or a liar, but thanks for the intimation.

Umm, no. By "hybrid" I was referring to the fact that when braking, the R-160's regenerate some electricity and send it back into the third rail/electrical system, just like a hybrid-electric bus or car regenerates electricity from braking. I realize that "hybrid" does not mean that they have gasoline tanks or whatever. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my post, but I am not an idiot or a liar, but thanks for the intimation.

Right, but that doesn't make it a hybrid or "like one". That means that the subway car features a regenerative dynamic braking system.

You may call it splitting hairs, but accuracy in information is very important. Little discrepancies like the above quickly show themselves in the lies foamers tell each other just because they interpreted something on a message board to mean something it didn't, and told their friends what they "heard."

You may call it splitting hairs, but accuracy in information is very important. Little discrepancies like the above quickly show themselves in the lies foamers tell each other just because they interpreted something on a message board to mean something it didn't, and told their friends what they "heard."

Listen buddy, I understand accuracy is important, and yes, I do call it splitting hairs in this case. But please do not start assuming that I am some foamer that is lying to impress people. I know about the braking system from the information screens on the 160's. I don't know as much about them as others do, but I do not post things that I just make up, and I do not pretend to know more than I actually do.

Listen buddy, I understand accuracy is important, and yes, I do call it splitting hairs in this case. But please do not start assuming that I am some foamer that is lying to impress people. I know about the braking system from the information screens on the 160's. I don't know as much about them as others do, but I do not post things that I just make up, and I do not pretend to know more than I actually do.

First of all, I am not your "buddy."

Second of all, I never said any of that. What you would have seen in my post had you looked at it thoroughly was that a post such as yours, which was not ill intentioned, but nevertheless misleading, can cause "foamers" (I did not call you a foamer, rather I referred to foamers as "people other than you who think about nothing but trains and who misinterpret your post") to incorrectly assume things based on your unintentionally misleading info. Those "foamers" will then turn it into an outright lie that they will repeat to others, which furthers the lie. And this has been done on this forum by some very specific people for the bulk of the last 18 months.

I am being civil here, the bottom line is you even admitted your post could have been significantly more specific and clear so why are you arguing with me? Just acknowledge it and move on...you don't have to "save your name" on here because no one's said anything negative about you as a person, all I've said is your post was misleading, which you agreed with.

Archived