Trolley line tentatively allegedly planned for Brooklyn.

Santa Fe via Willow

I just read about it in today's NY Post. I'm all for that. :tup::tup: as Siskel & Ebert would say.

It'd be great to see cable & streetcars back in NYC. Hopefully if this is done it'll set a precedent for the other boroughs & elsewhere.

:cool:

I'm guessing (MTA)(NYCT) would operate & run this, & future, trolleys in NYC & other (MTA) territories. Staten Island would be a great place to have these. Thinking former territories of the now deceased s42 & s60 bus routes (RIP) for starters. It'd be great & really :cool:.

Here's hoping Brooklyn's successful with this:tup:

Trivia tidbit: The former Bkln, & now LA:(, Dodgers name came from trolleys. IIRC my facts, Trolley Dodgers was a term used way back when in Bkln for trolley riders. The name taken by the baseball team, eventually truncated to just DodgersB)

Trivia tidbit: The former Bkln, & now LA:(, Dodgers name came from trolleys. IIRC my facts, Trolley Dodgers was a term used way back when in Bkln for trolley riders. The name taken by the baseball team, eventually truncated to just DodgersB)

I'm very well aware of this and is part of my spiel up at the Shore Line Trolley Museum when I discuss 1792 and it's history in Brooklyn.

What exactly is the advantage of trolleys over buses and light rail that makes it better asides from cost over building a subway and environmental friendliness? They're all just surface transportation to me, but is one option more capable than another?

No don't bring these things back! Do you guys drive? If you ever been to San Fransisco and driven, you'll see how hard it is to drive and pay attention to make sure some trolley doesn't own your car

If your not a moron, it's not hard to drive with trolley traffic...

Trollys are a joke, they dont work in nyc with the way traffic and population is situated. These people are stupid for wasting their time even bringing this up / planning it. Its a lost cause.

But in this particular area (Red hook to what, closer to downtown; DUMBO, etc?) the traffic shouldn't be so much of a problem.

I hope they do it, and maybe get Bob Diamond to turn it over to someone who can work with the city better (or whatever the problem with him was), and revive the trackage and cars already there before it's too late.

What exactly is the advantage of trolleys over buses and light rail that makes it better asides from cost over building a subway and environmental friendliness? They're all just surface transportation to me, but is one option more capable than another?

I think it's mostly cost. Trolleys are cheaper to operate than buses. The only route under serious consideration, Red Hook to Downtown Brooklyn, has low levels of car traffic (except on the Atlantic Ave portion) and actually still has old trolley tracks that can be reused along a good chunk of the proposed line. I think it's a good idea, although it will be most useful once the Brooklyn Bridge Park is extended south of Atlantic Ave along Columbia St as will surely happen once the current work is done c. 2015.

If Second Avenue Subway ever gets completed I believe that the (T) along with the (J) should be extended into a new tunnel to serve Red Hook and the (T) should be extended along the former 3rd Avenue in the Bronx to Co Op City along with the (D). That way the community of Red Hook is better served and gains a subway line.

Light rail/trolleys are cheaper than building a subway, and carry more people than a bus. Plus, theyre not as prone to traffic issues (if the system is done right). And like INDman said;

If your not a moron, it's not hard to drive with trolley traffic...

The only issue is that this isn't the first time a trolley system has been proposed for Red Hook, and with a certain mayors knack for proposing things and not following them through, it wont be the last.

I will give you why Light Rail and Trolleys are cheaper then regular subways. They require no tunneling, they just require a wide street, they take relatively little traffic, they have a greater capacity of passengers then buses and cars but less then a subway train, they are cheap to operate requiring overhead wires and are green using relatively little electricity, and construction periods are cheaper and shorter then a subway. This why light rail is a good option. Another way is a medium capacity transport similar to the Airtrain JFK or the Vancouver Skytrain.

No don't bring these things back! Do you guys drive? If you ever been to San Fransisco and driven, you'll see how hard it is to drive and pay attention to make sure some trolley doesn't own your car

From my many visits to Toronto, they seem to manage just fine with the Streetcars up there. Don't see how New York City can't manage with Trolleys since they did before.

See, the problem is, Toronto and Philly are small cities (comparatively) to New York. New York is FAR denser than either, especially in Downtown Brooklyn. There simply wouldn't be room for them to movie.

Personally, I'd prefer trollybuses (the buses with the overhead electricity) than straight-up trollies, but trollies do work under the correct circumstances. New York, however, doesn't have that. As a temporary solution, light rail or trollybuses would work, but it needs to have a full-fledged subway line to have a legitimate chance at major development, like in that new IKEA area.

See, the problem is, Toronto and Philly are small cities (comparatively) to New York. New York is FAR denser than either, especially in Downtown Brooklyn. There simply wouldn't be room for them to movie.

Personally, I'd prefer trollybuses (the buses with the overhead electricity) than straight-up trollies, but trollies do work under the correct circumstances. New York, however, doesn't have that. As a temporary solution, light rail or trollybuses would work, but it needs to have a full-fledged subway line to have a legitimate chance at major development, like in that new IKEA area.

So how is it that in the 40-60s New York City had a reliable trolley system operating in New York? I'm certain that New York was still bigger than Toronto and other major cities with such systems at that time as well.

Since there aren't many maps of Red Hook only this one was good enough. So I edited it enjoy and criticize the Red Hook Light Rail map.

RedHookLightRail-1.jpg?t=1284255104

In my map you could transfer to the Light Rail at Pacific St, Union Street and 4th Av-9th Street. It also runs to the new Ikea which links to the New York City Watertaxi. A new bridge requiring the demolishing of several abandon ship docks would connect the Light Rail to Governors Island.

Archived