Country Club Gets Their Cake and Eats It Too, While Parkchester Has to Watch Them.

cotb16

Where were all of these people in the first place before the original cuts?

If they were "around" maybe the cuts would have never happened in the first place?

Actually, the Country Club/Eastern Throggs Neck gave the rerouted Bx8 a try. But it had a few drawbacks afterwards:

1. Throggs Neck/Edgewater riders couldn't reach the Tremont Av shopping strip (around Bruckner Blvd), the Foodtown on Bruckner & Crosby, the Northeast Bronx Senior Center on Bruckner and Logan and St. Helena's Church on that same corner.

2. Stadium Av riders in Country Club did not receive buses on their block too well.

This BX8 mess is just another example of how having a powerful neighborhood offical i.e City Council, State Senate Member, etc. can make a huge difference in fighting off (MTA) cuts or service increases.:confused:

This BX8 mess is just another example of how having a powerful neighborhood offical i.e City Council, State Senate Member, etc. can make a huge difference in fighting off (MTA) cuts or service increases.:confused:

That's because Councilman James Vacca, who covers the most politically-powerful Bronx communities (Morris Park, Throggs neck, Westchester Square, City Island, Pelham Bay, Country Club) is now the Transportation Chair of the City Council, replacing John Liu.

Meanwhile, politicians (like Peter Rivera) and residents out in Parkchester are still fighting to bring bus service back to Metropolitan Avenue.

After reading the article, wouldn't it make sense to just restore the Bx14? One other question: Will the Bx5 go back on Bruckner? If that's the case, the Q50 won't be making stops at Baisley Av

That would also be a great idea since the Bx5 would have less delays running on Bruckner than on Crosby Avenue.

It gets delayed on Crosby? I didn't know that. When the Bx5 goes back on Bruckner, it negates the unesesary turns it has to make going westbound

The double parking of vehicles along Crosby in addition to the unnecessary turns it has to make in Pelham Bay delays the Bx5.

It gets delayed on Crosby? I didn't know that. When the Bx5 goes back on Bruckner, it negates the unesesary turns it has to make going westbound

Cotb pretty much confirmed what I had already figured was gonna happen w/ that routing change... it's just too much... "bus", to have to navigate on crosby, than it was to simply have kept the bx5 along bruckner... As they say, the quickest way b/w two points is a straight line.... but anyway, crosby is one lane in each direction (not counting the parking lanes, obviously).... whereas bruckner allows for two lanes in each direction (each "side" of the highway), minus the parking lane....

also, it's pretty much a straight shot along that part of bruckner blvd; not much residences or stores or w/e; especially heading NB (which is part of the reason why they removed the Bx5 off there in the first place)....

Actually, the Country Club/Eastern Throggs Neck gave the rerouted Bx8 a try. But it had a few drawbacks afterwards:

1. Throggs Neck/Edgewater riders couldn't reach the Tremont Av shopping strip (around Bruckner Blvd), the Foodtown on Bruckner & Crosby, the Northeast Bronx Senior Center on Bruckner and Logan and St. Helena's Church on that same corner.

2. Stadium Av riders in Country Club did not receive buses on their block too well.

See, I don't believe that (the part in bold)....

They barely took the old 14 when that ran to their neighborhood... why would they try the 8? because it's a different route number... lol.... It's almost like you're making it sound like more ppl. in CC are opting for the 8, than what they ever did for the old 14...

Knowing that a bus terminated in their neighborhood meant that there were no "outsiders" on a bus leaving country club, before it ever got to country club - why, because that WB bus started its trip IN country club, heading towards parkchester... catch my drift? The few ppl. that did use the old 14 that took it to PBP, didn't give enough of a ((you know what)) who took the bus after they got off....

The gripe simply was that:

a) a higher frequency of buses (the bx8, compared to the 14)

:P the fact that buses encircled their pseudo pristine ass area (originating from somewhere else other than CC) before getting to a prime destination (PBP in this case)

b') people from other areas venturing through their area by bus (yeah, you still have areas here in the boroughs where ppl. are like that... country club is one of them)

c) "crowding" (or what they perceive to be as).... 2-3 people on an old bx14 heading in country club, compared to 15-20 ppl. on a bus heading towards locust pt... to them, that's considered severe crowding.... some long islanders also think like that (johnny boy is one of them)... 15 extra people on a route barely anyone uses b/w a particular point isn't crowding - it's just more ppl. than you may be used to seeing on that bus....

No one can convince me otherwise that that's why this "bx24" or whatever is being considered in the near future....

See, I don't believe that (the part in bold)....

They barely took the old 14 when that ran to their neighborhood... why would they try the 8? because it's a different route number... lol.... It's almost like you're making it sound like more ppl. in CC are opting for the 8, than what they ever did for the old 14...

Knowing that a bus terminated in their neighborhood meant that there were no "outsiders" on a bus leaving country club, before it ever got to country club - why, because that WB bus started its trip IN country club, heading towards parkchester... catch my drift? The few ppl. that did use the old 14 that took it to PBP, didn't give enough of a ((you know what)) who took the bus after they got off....

The gripe simply was that:

a) a higher frequency of buses (the bx8, compared to the 14)

;) the fact that buses encircled their pseudo pristine ass area (originating from somewhere else other than CC) before getting to a prime destination (PBP in this case)

b') people from other areas venturing through their area by bus (yeah, you still have areas here in the boroughs where ppl. are like that... country club is one of them)

c) "crowding" (or what they perceive to be as).... 2-3 people on an old bx14 heading in country club, compared to 15-20 ppl. on a bus heading towards locust pt... to them, that's considered severe crowding.... some long islanders also think like that (johnny boy is one of them)... 15 extra people on a route barely anyone uses b/w a particular point isn't crowding - it's just more ppl. than you may be used to seeing on that bus....

No one can convince me otherwise that that's why this "bx24" or whatever is being considered in the near future....

I'm not talking about Country Club riders in the boldface part, I'm talking about those living south of them, in Locust Point/Edgewater Park. They weren't able to reach major points of interest that were mostly along Crosby Avenue, like Foodtown, St. Helena's Parish, etc.

I'm not talking about Country Club riders in the boldface part, I'm talking about those living south of them, in Locust Point/Edgewater Park. They weren't able to reach major points of interest that were mostly along Crosby Avenue, like Foodtown, St. Helena's Parish, etc.

Not exclusively, no...

But you did make a reference to them....

you kidding me??

Not exclusively, no...

But you did make a reference to them....

you kidding me??

My bad man. I'm gonna make a prediction about this new Bx24 that's coming in January...

It's only going to last about 2-3 years (and that is if James Vacca leaves the City Council in which I doubt) and get replaced by shuttle vans like the Q74 and Q79 just to name a few.

Why not just extend the Bx23 to Country Club (and layover on Middletown Road) and then revert the Bx5 and Bx8 to their pre-June routings?

Because...that makes too much sense for the MTA to implement such a clever idea like that.

My bad man. I'm gonna make a prediction about this new Bx24 that's coming in January...

It's only going to last about 2-3 years (and that is if James Vacca leaves the City Council in which I doubt) and get replaced by shuttle vans like the Q74 and Q79 just to name a few.

No worries.

....and funny you mention shuttle vans....

I made a reference in a prior thread, stating that, if country club residents wanted/needed service to PBP so bad, and since buses swerving through their neighborhood (all of a sudden) is so problematic, then why don't some somebody, set up some lil' service... strictly for those residents to travel b/w the two points....

hell, breezy point does it (minibus service b/w breezy point & B 169th st [connection for the Q22 & Q35])...

I would not have a problem if CC residents did that at all....

but w/ CC, it's like... don't pretend like you need public transportation, but on the same token, bitch & complain when an increase in service in your neighborhood is made....

Why not just extend the Bx23 to Country Club (and layover on Middletown Road) and then revert the Bx5 and Bx8 to their pre-June routings?

Despite making the MTA look more foolish (then they already are), to revert the routes to what they were.....

looking at this schedule of the Bx23:

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bx023cur.pdf

CC residents are complaining about the freq. of buses on the bx8... take a look at that schedule of the 23.... there would be an influx of inpatients at jacobi hosp., let that many buses travel to CC... they would have a dam heart attack....

• 2 months later...

Damn, James Vacca is starting to get pretty annoying. If you thought he and residents in Country Club would shut up, think again. Just look at this link:

http://www.yournabe.com/articles/2010/11/08/bronx_times_reporter/news/bronxtimes-yn_bronx_times_reporter-44-bus.txt

Damn Vacca, you considered the Bx14 as a national emergency, announcing it all over the news. Then you do the same with Edgewater and Locust Point residents losing access to Crosby and Stadium Av riders dealing with buses on their block. Now you want the Bx24 going to at least Buhre Av or Westchester Square, when in reality, most Country Club riders are just going to Pelham Bay Park.

Won't the Bx8 be rerouted out of Country Club and travel via Crosby Avenue in January? It would make sense if the Bx24 is extended to Westchester Square to provide access to the new Bx4A. Only if there will be demand for it.

That might not be too bad, although I did sound harsh on my previous post regarding how James Vacca (and other politicians) have made the smallest cuts seem like "national crises." It would allow more transfers for Country Club riders besides those at Pelham Bay.

Archived