S58 to Flushing..

error46146

From speaking to Mrs. BfM who took the Q58 (local) from you know where to QBL Friday morning and speaking with bus operators, the LTD need to be tweaked. The locals are too crowded with the LTD's having plenty of room. As far as NYCT is concerned, I guess they want more of the public to walk to the nearest LTD stop! The question of the LTD taking a shortcut via FP to Elliot, to 69 to Grand will save time but with the way it's set up now it will bury the locals even more as a couple of LTD stops will be bypassed including the heavy one at Flushing/FP.

In addition early in the morning M-F there is a local leaving Ridgewood Terminal at 5:14 AM with the next one 1:59 later at 7:13AM. Apparently during that time all locals are pull outs from the depot going toward Flushing to save $$$$ in crew costs forcing passengers to change along the way for a local.

why lets keep it this way lol

while everyone else crowded onto that Q58 local, i was actually able to SIT (holy shit!!) on the Q58 LTD (which btw was right behind the local)..an experience that is all too rare for anyone who rides the Q58..the bus fan window is nice, but sometimes id rather be sitting down lol

From speaking to Mrs. BfM who took the Q58 (local) from you know where to QBL Friday morning and speaking with bus operators, the LTD need to be tweaked. The locals are too crowded with the LTD's having plenty of room. As far as NYCT is concerned, I guess they want more of the public to walk to the nearest LTD stop! The question of the LTD taking a shortcut via FP to Elliot, to 69 to Grand will save time but with the way it's set up now it will bury the locals even more as a couple of LTD stops will be bypassed including the heavy one at Flushing/FP.

In addition early in the morning M-F there is a local leaving Ridgewood Terminal at 5:14 AM with the next one 1:59 later at 7:13AM. Apparently during that time all locals are pull outs from the depot going toward Flushing to save $$$$ in crew costs forcing passengers to change along the way for a local.

If that's the case with the Limiteds then that means they move! Hmmmm I better take the opportunity to get a few sound recordings before they tweak this!

while everyone else crowded onto that Q58 local, i was actually able to SIT (holy shit!!) on the Q58 LTD (which btw was right behind the local)..an experience that is all too rare for anyone who rides the Q58..the bus fan window is nice, but sometimes id rather be sitting down lol

How exactly has this been running? Do the LTD's really go faster, and are able to pass the locals on the crowded, narrow/winding Grand Ave?

I have also said the service should be moved to Eliot. But all the way to Queens Blvd, at least.

Where did the idea of running cutting it across on 69th come from?

I imagine doing that would leave Grand with the same problem the LTD was supposed to alleviate, but then, I have always said all of those routes over there needed to be completely reconfigured. Really, rather than a (Q58)LTD moving to Eliot, it would be a new line, replacing that half of the (Q38). Perhaps something like an extension of the (Q88), though I wonder if that might make it too long, and that would bypass Flushing.

Something like this would really help Grand Ave. because it would take off all of the riders not going to that stretch (Ridgewood to Queens corridor or Flushing). The line is way too long and indirect for those riders.

The Grand Ave section is really only good for those traveling to or from Grand Ave, which is more of its own local shopping area, which other neighborhoods have of their own.

And it already has the (Q59). Perhaps put the LTD on that line.

I would think a survey needs to be done to find out where most of the riders are coming from and going to. Where most of the Ridgewood riders tend to be going, and where the Grand Ave. and Corona Ave. riders are going. It probably does not need to be one single line hooking up all those neighborhoods/streets.

If that's the case with the Limiteds then that means they move! Hmmmm I better take the opportunity to get a few sound recordings before they tweak this!

NYCT is obligated to move riders, not entertain rail/bus fans.

Overcrowded locals and underutilized LTD's is not the purpose of this exercise in getting the public from point A to point B.

Hopefully if a rider is required to advance or go back one stop for a LTD will be a good thing, if not NYCT will have to make adjustments of their own.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Its been on when day 1 started of the ltd 6512 had the S58 now in that time i seen 6514 & 6531 with the Mistake LTD sign. They just don't care and its cool to see it.

How exactly has this been running? Do the LTD's really go faster, and are able to pass the locals on the crowded, narrow/winding Grand Ave?

I have also said the service should be moved to Eliot. But all the way to Queens Blvd, at least.

Where did the idea of running cutting it across on 69th come from?

I imagine doing that would leave Grand with the same problem the LTD was supposed to alleviate, but then, I have always said all of those routes over there needed to be completely reconfigured. Really, rather than a (Q58)LTD moving to Eliot, it would be a new line, replacing that half of the (Q38). Perhaps something like an extension of the (Q88), though I wonder if that might make it too long, and that would bypass Flushing.

Something like this would really help Grand Ave. because it would take off all of the riders not going to that stretch (Ridgewood to Queens corridor or Flushing). The line is way too long and indirect for those riders.

The Grand Ave section is really only good for those traveling to or from Grand Ave, which is more of its own local shopping area, which other neighborhoods have of their own.

And it already has the (Q59). Perhaps put the LTD on that line.

I would think a survey needs to be done to find out where most of the riders are coming from and going to. Where most of the Ridgewood riders tend to be going, and where the Grand Ave. and Corona Ave. riders are going. It probably does not need to be one single line hooking up all those neighborhoods/streets.

my Q58 LTD passed by 4 Locals

imo the Q58 LTD should not follow the existing route, instead at 108th Street it turns left instead of right,go down 108th to Queens Blvd, then make a right at Queens Blvd and run down Queens Blvd to Broadway/Grand Ave where it will resume its regular route.

it will stop @ main st, the stop after main st, 108th st/LIE, 108th st/queens blvd, 67th ave/queens blvd, 63rd drive/queens blvd, woodhaven blvd/queens blvd, and then resume regular local stops to ridgewood.

s58toflushing.jpg

:cool:

I like it:tup:

I actually made up an SI bus route called the s58 several years ago.

It was a New Dorp HS/SI Mall counterpart of the 56 & the Old 55. I'll explain its routing some other time.

Y'know how the 56 is a Tottenville HS/SI Mall route right? The 55 used to be, prior to being turned into SI's 2nd Oz run. Well, anyway, the 58 I'd made up would be NDHS's "56". In fact I'd made up 2 NDHS/SI Mall routes. IIRC, I called the other one the s25, which would be NDHS's "55" {have to check my notes on this stuff}.

Enough about me already:

:cool:COOL PICTURE!:tup:

my Q58 LTD passed by 4 Locals

imo the Q58 LTD should not follow the existing route, instead at 108th Street it turns left instead of right,go down 108th to Queens Blvd, then make a right at Queens Blvd and run down Queens Blvd to Broadway/Grand Ave where it will resume its regular route.

it will stop @ main st, the stop after main st, 108th st/LIE, 108th st/queens blvd, 67th ave/queens blvd, 63rd drive/queens blvd, woodhaven blvd/queens blvd, and then resume regular local stops to ridgewood.

Well, that would basically be following the (Q59) route, so it would be better to make that an extension of that route. That was another idea I thought of.

But then 108th St. runs into Queens Blvd way down at Continental Av. and that is a long way out of the way.

Maybe have the 59 pick up that end of the (Q38) on 62Dr/63Rd, and then the 38 actually pick up it's own other end (which is a few blocks way on 57th and 60th Aves; the rest of that half of the line on Eliot would be picked up by the new straight route).

Archived