What is the fastest way to Grand Central from Long Island

lilbluefoxie

Whats faster to get to Grand Central from Long Island, taking the LIRR to Woodside then getting the (7) or going to Penn Station then getting the 7th Ave line to the (S)?

Without a doubt, quickest way is taking the LIRR to Penn and then the 7th Ave line to Times Sq and the Shuttle to GCT. During rush hours it's about 10-12 minutes travel time not counting the walk from the GCT or Penn platforms.

Or if you want to save a couple of $$$ and have time taking the LIRR to woodside and transfer to the (7)is not bad either. It's about 15 minutes when the (7) express runs or 20-25 minutes on the Local.

Without a doubt, quickest way is taking the LIRR to Penn and then the 7th Ave line to Times Sq and the Shuttle to GCT. During rush hours it's about 10-12 minutes travel time not counting the walk from the GCT or Penn platforms.

Or if you want to save a couple of $$$ and have time taking the LIRR to woodside and transfer to the (7)is not bad either. It's about 15 minutes when the (7) express runs or 20-25 minutes on the Local.

this would be on a sunday, so im dealing with the local 7 and whatever frequency the 7th ave line has that day

1. If this is tomorrow afternoon, you might be lucky and catch a Mets express on the (7).

2. IIRC, Woodside and Penn Station are both in Zone 1 so you won't save any money if you got off at Woodside.

Its for a future railfan trip of mine involving MNRR

Its for a future railfan trip of mine involving MNRR

As someone who is a semi regular user at least 2x a month on the Hudson Line, you enjoy the scenary of the Hudson River I am sure.

Or the Harlem line where most of the fleet is now filled with the cool M-7's cars.

Or the New Haven maybe the debut of the landmark M-8's going up the Ct. Coast.:tup:

IMO Metro North is night and day better than LIRR.

As someone who is a semi regular user at least 2x a month on the Hudson Line, you enjoy the scenary of the Hudson River I am sure.

Or the Harlem line where most of the fleet is now filled with the cool M-7's cars.

Or the New Haven maybe the debut of the landmark M-8's going up the Ct. Coast.:tup:

IMO Metro North is night and day better than LIRR.

the trip involves a short run on the New Haven line in hopes of getting the M2-M6 sets, i don't care much for the M8s.

and as for it being better, ill believe that when I see it ;)

I think the Best would be to stay on LIRR. At least its sunday! Because if it was weekday, it be jam packed with the NEC and NJT equipment going thru.

It can take you like 10min to get there unlike the (7) which would be a total of 20-30min since u have to walk and wait for the train.

The (7) runs very frequent even on Sundays, Jon, you shouldn't have a problem- You'll probably spend more time waiting on the shuttle IMO.

Not really, most of the time the (7)s headways isn't as good then the weekday or saturday on sundays

If i'm headed to GCT from NYP, i'll just walk. It's easier than having to schlep onto the subway (not to mention pay a fare just for the ridiculously short trip).

this....

I disagree w/o it being a doubt...

on a sunday (especially these past few sundays), the (1) & (2)'s been running like s***.... the (3) hasn't been running... if at all possible, I would avoid the 7th av line on the weekends....

The past two weekends where I needed to get to PABT, the (2) took almost an hour to get from church av to 42nd st... still running on the express track in manhattan, mind you.... where normally, it takes about 20 mins. less....

OP would probably save more time enduring the LIRR trip to woodside, then taking the (7) to GCT...

[the walk from 7th av lines to the shuttle] isn't that much better or worse than [the walk from the lex av lines to the MNRR]....

(now if you don't know GCT all that well, you can easily get confused very quickly, I will say that much)

Coming from Long Island, it'd be easier to take the (7). The (7) runs either every 8 or every 10 minutes during Sundays, and the trip from Woodside to Grand Central is only 15 mins. So on average it can be a 20 min trip, compared to taking the train to Penn Station and t hen waiting for both the (1)(2)(3) and the (7)/(S). The wait time would exceed the actual trip time.

this....

I disagree w/o it being a doubt...

on a sunday (especially these past few sundays), the (1) & (2)'s been running like s***.... the (3) hasn't been running... if at all possible, I would avoid the 7th av line on the weekends....

The past two weekends where I needed to get to PABT, the (2) took almost an hour to get from church av to 42nd st... still running on the express track in manhattan, mind you.... where normally, it takes about 20 mins. less....

OP would probably save more time enduring the LIRR trip to woodside, then taking the (7) to GCT...

[the walk from 7th av lines to the shuttle] isn't that much better or worse than [the walk from the lex av lines to the MNRR]....

(now if you don't know GCT all that well, you can easily get confused very quickly, I will say that much)

Bro, i was talking a normal weekday (Monday-Friday)that it faster to go to Penn and take the (1)(2)(3)and GCT(S) combo than going to Woodside and transfer to the (7).

Forgot about the killer weekend "GO's' especially on the 7th Ave line:eek:. In that case it is probably faster taking the (7)at Woodside assuming the Flushing does not have detours either. Plus was not aware he was traveling to GCT on a weekend.

Shortline: No Problem.

PATCO: Yup, that's another thing...

R32: Exactly the point I was trying to make...

BlueFoxie, or anyone else in that position on the weekend would end up spending more time waiting if they took the 7th av line, than if they simply took the (7) after disembarking @ Woodside....

From my personal experience, i'd take LIRR to penn, then walk up 7th ave to times sq and take the shuttle. If it's nasty weather outside i'll go through the LIRR concourse & hop on the first uptown (1)(2)(3).

- A

Slightly little off-topic, it was very crazy.

Even sign said (1) is on center of platform, and (2)(3) on local track, there was lots of people waiting for (2)(3) on express island, even when both direction of (1) shown.

Even with G.O on (7), (7) from Woodside to Grand Central is much better choice, since I take (7) sometimes.

Archived