Express bus trip ideas

rockdove

I have a 7 -day express bus plus metrocard. Can anyone suggest any trips that go through interesting or scenic areas and maybe connect to another express bus route or even subway to return to, say, midtown manhattan?

I am looking at QM16 to Rockaway Park already but the limited schedule makes Q53 a better choice. I wouldn't be interested traveling in the mornings.

I have a 7 -day express bus plus metrocard. Can anyone suggest any trips that go through interesting or scenic areas and maybe connect to another express bus route or even subway to return to, say, midtown manhattan?

I am looking at QM16 to Rockaway Park already but the limited schedule makes Q53 a better choice. I wouldn't be interested traveling in the mornings.

As long as you make the 2-hour window, you can transfer from inbound to outbound express bus. (QM6 to Midtown then the QM5 back to Glen Oaks is one fare)

As for scenery, try the Staten Island routes.

I was thinking more of starting in midtown, going outbound and returning to midtown if there are some routes that travel together or intersect.

Of course, traveling to Staten Island, the borough that I completely forget exists, should be an interesting experience. Great suggestion.

But as you can see I am completely ignorant about SI's neighborhoods. Which one would be a good choice to stop at on X1 or other bus route?

My favorite express bus route is the X42. It operates via the FDR Drive. You can see the three East River bridges. It then takes the Battery Tunnel to the Gowanus to the UPPER level of the Verrazano Bridge. You can backtrack to St. George via the local bus and enjoy the ferry ride back.

The X17 is another interesting route. The X17 A and C operate via the Verrazano (upper level) and the Staten Island Expressway. It passes by Eltingville Transit Center where you can take many pics. The X17J operates via the Lincoln Tunnel and NJ Turnpike. It still goes to Staten Island.

The BxM7 is a nice route (do not take it during rush hour. The Bruckner gets backed up). After 125 Street, it's basically nonstop to Coop City. From there, you can backtrack to Pelham Bay Park.

The QM21 operates via the Midtown Tunnel (AM) or 59 Street Bridge (PM). Not that many people use it. Once it gets to Rochdale Village, you can take the LIRR at Locust Manor back to the city.

The routes that operate all day are:

Staten Island: X1, X10, X17

Brooklyn: X27, X28, BM1,BM2, BM3, BM4, BM5

Queens: QM1, QM2, QM4, QM5, QM6, QM15

Bronx: BxM1, BxM2, BxM3, BxM4, BxM6, BxM7, BxM7A, BxM9, BxM10, BxM11

Keep this in mind if it is the middle of the day.

The highlinghts of some routes (Staten Island only):

The X10 (rush hours only), X11, X12, X17A/X17C, X19, X31 and X42 all use the upper level of the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge.

The X2, X5, X14, and X42 all use the FDR Drive (though the goes on Water Street between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel)

The X17J, X22, X23, X24, and X30 go via New Jersey and go over the Goethals Bridge.

That being said, the best route to busfan is probably the X42. The X19 from Lower Manhattan is also interesting, as it has a long run on the expressways (Gowanus-Staten Island-West Shore), as are the X22, X23, and X24 from Midtown (NJ Turnpike-Route 278-West Shore Expressway).

The X17 (all variations) also has a lot of expressway running, and ends up in the suburban South Shore of Staten Island. The X30 passes by a couple of large parks in Staten Island (Clove Lake and Silver Lake)

Happy hunting! ;)

the only express bus route I'd say is scenic & rather interesting here in brooklyn is the x27 along shore rd... but then you'd be stuck with having to walk to the (R) train to get back to manhattan...

if scenery is what you're lookin for, embarking on a trip out to SI is your best bet...

Going by how you'd like to plan your trip, I'd suggest taking:

- the x42 from midtown manhattan to forest av/richmond av... this way, you wont have to deal with the slow trek of navigating in lower manhattan

- then take the x10 back to midtown manhattan

(this way, you get to travel along the upper and lower level of the Verrazano; depending on how late you get out to SI {past pm rush hr.}, most x10 drivers take the lower level)

- then you can even take another express bus from midtown, back to Queens if you want... whichever route runs closest to you....

* (you) living in Queens, I wouldn't suggest taking anything serving the south shore unless you have some serious time to kill... since you'd be stuck having to take a local bus (the s59 or the s78) to the x1 back to manhattan.... the waits for the 59/78 after a certain time, aren't that great... and god help you if you have to wait for the s55 or the s56... I live smack-dab in the middle of brooklyn, and I'll never make the mistake of getting off the x23/24 before it hits hylan, ever.. ever again....

It is possible to go to the South Shore, but you have to make sure that you get off the bus at the stop closest to a SIR station. Although the train runs infrequently, it will get you to the St. George ferry in about 30 minutes, roughly the same time as a bus trip from Mariners' Harbor to the ferry by local bus.

As far as routes to the South Shore go:

The X1/X4/X5/X7/X8 connect with the S74 to St. George when they reach Arthur Kill Road (you can also connect with the X1 back to Manhattan, but it runs every 60 minutes after 5PM). You also have the option of taking the S78 back to St. George for the ferry (along Hylan Blvd), or the S79 to Bay Ridge for the (R) train.

The X2/X3/X9 end in New Dorp, so you can take the S78, S79, or X1 there.

The X15 ends at the Eltingville Transit Center. From there, you can take the 74 back to St. George (or the X1 if you arrive on the :00s).

The X17, X19, and X23 connect with the SIR to St. George at the Hugenot station.

The X22 connects with the SIR to St. George at Pleasant Plains.

The X24 connects with the S78, S79, and X1 on Hylan Blvd.

I got the Qm2 to beechhurst today and got to admire the routes of Q13/Q66 on the way back. Today worked out but should have read more closely that Clearview Park is a golf course. :)

And 57th St is quite a big hub of SI, Queens and Brooklyn buses. A random trip could be made by taking the bus that shows up first.

I think one should plan an interesting place to visit for such a trip as long as SI, not busfanning alone. That's a whole day affair.

Does anyone have some good maps of the express bus routes in NYC? I have two from Robert M Marrero for Bronx and Queens.

Weekdays

Staten Island Option

For X23/X24, see Atlantic Express website.

http://atlanticexpress.com/coach-commuter.html

Take X23 bus (first bus leaves 2:15pm at 5th Av/58th St), and take that to Hugenot SIR Station, then take Staten Island Railway to Eltingville for X1 bus into Manhattan.

Cait Sith: X6 was cut. As in result some X1-X9 Hylan Blvd/Father Cap Blvd was change. Some bus stops still has X6 sign. DOT did not do good job.

Take BxM3 to Yonkers-Getty Sq,

take Bee-Line #1 bus to 242nd St, (1) to 207th St, walk to Broadway/207th St

BxM1 to Lexington Av/34th St, then take QM24 3rd Av Branch at 38th St, then take that to Fresh Pond-Metropolitan Av, then take Flushing-bound Q58 Limited to Justice Av, then take Manhattan-bound (R) home.

Take BxM1 to 207th St (A), then take Bx12 SBS to Pelham Bay Park, take BxM7A to Midtown.

Take BxM9 to Throgs Neck, take bus back to Midtown, then take that to 2nd Av/122nd St, walk to 125th St, take M15 SBS to 57th St, take BM5 Super Express to Canarsie, then during rush hour, take B82 LTD to Coney Island for any Manhattan-bound (D)(F)(N)(Q) to Midtown.

Archived