NYC Nostalgia train 12-26-10

TransitChuckG

My male friends are coming up on that day,(not me),and are planning to ride the last trip and a half of the old trains,(I hope they run them).

Then meet more New York guys for drinks on the Village. Notice it's all guys......

This is based on the premise that the old trains will run.

I'm making this post a favor to them. They are not on this board.

Thanks,

Chuck Greene

My male friends are coming up on that day,(not me),and are planning to ride the last trip and a half of the old trains,(I hope they run them).

Then meet more New York guys for drinks on the Village. Notice it's all guys......

This is based on the premise that the old trains will run.

I'm making this post a favor to them. They are not on this board.

Thanks,

Chuck Greene

Welcome. I'm sure you remember me from Subchat, not that I'll ever post there again. I'm pretty sure the Nostalgia train will run until New Year's Eve.

Restoration to fix it to running service again for the museum trips.

And I'm not sure if the other 2 9xx will be restored from CIY.

Some of the parts 923 and 925 might've been used to restore the other arnine cars,so those cars might not ever run.

I Like the r1/9's but It makes me sick to my stomach hearing about how they always want to fix them up, When in the blue hell they are going to fix up the 2 R10's, The R16's and the R30's, and they need to fix up the IRT SMEE cars.

yeah the R1/9's are great subway cars and what not but I think its time to look at the IRT, Looking at the same shit over and over is annoying and its makes me not want to go on these trips, I got to admit I like seeing these trains run but they need to run the Redbirds already, yeah alot of people say no they are not all that and all that other BS, but they are wrong, I used to take the (7) before the WF cars were gone, everytime when a tourist came to NYC, the first thing they did was go to the (7), Im sorry but running a Redbird train will draw more people than the R1/9's, just run them on the Flushing or 7th ave/broadway IRT lines, I bet you you will see a shitload of regular passengers that used to ride these cars everyday to/from point A to B. It would be much cheaper and easier to fix up a redbird subway car than an R1/9, for 1 you still have parts from other SMEE's that you can use.

But Seeing an R10,R16,R30,R32 and R38 would really be a treat.

I too would love to ride a Nostalgia train of postwar SMEE cars, especially if the R32 and R38 cars were to be restored to their original appearance as much as is possible (front marker lights, front rollsigns, blue doors, straps, etc.). I do realize that would cost a lot of money. But I'm very happy that we get the chance to ride the Nostalgia train of R1/9 cars every holiday season and I hope they will do it again this year. You can be sure that I will be on that train if it runs.

Yes We will know after thanksgiving to dec 1st if it will run hopefully 103 will be ready by then.

The TA will let you guys know when they know, things like this are usually decided only days before they happen. Also, R1 #103 will NOT be ready to run this year but it is on track to be done before summer, but like all things, this can change.

Preservation efforts have been ongoing on other cars besides the R9's. A lot of work on the Lo-V's has been done in recent years and those cars are strong performers. Remember, SMEE cars no matter how much railfans like them, are not all that different from some of the oldest equipment running. All I ever hear around this place is "redbirds this redbirds that" but when John Q Public gets on a redbird, it's not way out of place. When they get on an R9 or a Lo-V, however, it is VERY out of place and a complete change, and the public finds it to be very cool. If ANY of you rode and actually paid attention to people's reactions (NON RAILFANS) during the Yankees specials you'd get that.

As for 103, no it will not be done in time for a 2010 holiday train *if* there is one. Look for it to be done reasonably soon (within a year, maybe sooner), but no promises.

Also know that work goes on more than one car at any given time. However 103 is the fastest tracked at the moment.

The 100th anniversary of the first BRT subway is approaching...running the BMT/BRT equipment would be something very different and special. That equipment is way more interesting and diverse than the redbirds.

A "B Division" train of R10-30's would be interesting and different also (but only if it included the R11), however there is no money at this time for those cars to be worked on. They're not all complete/fully operational and a lot of things would have to be addressed for such a train to run. So that's something for down the road if it is to happen.

I Like the r1/9's but It makes me sick to my stomach hearing about how they always want to fix them up, When in the blue hell they are going to fix up the 2 R10's, The R16's and the R30's, and they need to fix up the IRT SMEE cars.

So tell us, what have you done for railway preservation? What are YOU doing to help with the restoration of those cars?

So tell us, what have you done for railway preservation? What are YOU doing to help with the restoration of those cars?

Exactly it takes a lot of people working very hard to even restore even one car. The know it alls out there don't understand this. They just think people tinker with what they want and one person by themself can restore a car given a couple of months. They couldn't be further from the truth.

Exactly it takes a lot of people working very hard to even restore even one car. The know it alls out there don't understand this. They just think people tinker with what they want and one person by themself can restore a car given a couple of months. They couldn't be further from the truth.

You can say that again. I mean, you know what i'm working on at Branford currently and sometimes I feel like even I need a few more hands helping out. Kids think we have some magic "subway car restoration formula" that we rub on the cars and within 24 hours they come out brand-spanking-new.

You can say that again. I mean, you know what i'm working on at Branford currently and sometimes I feel like even I need a few more hands helping out. Kids think we have some magic "subway car restoration formula" that we rub on the cars and within 24 hours they come out brand-spanking-new.

Joe, you can't find the magic wand in the sub shop?

Seriously though, New York City has more preserved rapid transit cars then any other system in the world. We have a museum in a subway station and if that's not enough, we run many of our vintage cars service. I know London has a big fleet, but they don't run them as often as we do. The fact that people complain about what run and what doesn't isn't that surprising to me (someone who actually works on these cars) since railfans are some of the most self centered people in the world. If you don't actually work on a car, you have no right to bitch about what runs and what doesn't. You people, should be very grateful that people like my self (who again, work to restore these cars) do it because we want to and we don't do it for the thanks we get. This isn't to say that all railfans are ungrateful, it's just that alot of the people who post here are.

Archived