Fate of the M4 and M6

lilbluefoxie

Currently the M8s are testing on the Hudson line via Harlem Line and GCT/Mott Haven Juntion, ive been trying to catch it along harlem but haven't seen it yet. M8s should roll out in service by end of this yr and/or early-mid next yr when testing is finished.

The triplets M4/6s are not going anywhere. the next to go is the M3 LIRR. The M3As may stick a bit or go. Bu since MNCR may get Multi-levels for the Genesis on Hudson the M3as may stick. Not to sure.

M2s will be going.

• 1 month later...

Currently the M8 are scheduled to start running in Feb 2011. Initally it was November 2010, but due to electric issues it has been pushed back. M2 will retire as a result of the M8's (No More BAR CARS!). The M4/M6's will stick around until a possible M10 or M12 rolls around. I hoped this post helped!

-(R)(3)(2)(S)

Currently the M8 are scheduled to start running in Feb 2011. Initally it was November 2010, but due to electric issues it has been pushed back. M2 will retire as a result of the M8's (No More BAR CARS!). The M4/M6's will stick around until a possible M10 or M12 rolls around. I hoped this post helped!

-(R)(3)(2)(S)

It is planned for some of the M8s to be retrofitted as bar cars...

What is the fate of the M4 and M6, will they stick around a little while longer after the M8s are in? It seems silly to retire them so early as they are much newer than the older M2s.

Its only the M2's that are being retired by the M8's. The M4's and M6's will continue to run.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Because of the now-terminated CSR program that saw the overhaul of 146 M2's, the M2's will be phased out - but not as soon as everyone thinks, and perhaps not even before the M4's and M6's are. From what I understand, there have been issues with the inverters on the M4's failing under extreme temperatures, which can put a train OOS when both inverters go down (am I right there, or does it depend on set placement within the consist?). The M2's that have completed CSR seem to be holding up fairly well, and the weather around these parts has been nothing short of B-A-N-A-N-A-S during the past few years. I'm not sure what the current ruling on an M4 CSR is. Personally, I think that the M4's are better off to send through CSR than the M6's would be, if that notion ever pops up. Of the three EMU types currently running out of New Haven, only the M4's were built by a manufacturer still involved in railcar production: Tokyu; Budd (M2's) and Morrison-Knudsen (M6's) are not.

One of the biggest drawbacks to scrapping married pairs in lieu of triplets is the potential for equipment shortage. If one car in an M2 goes down, you lose two railcars, seating for about 235 people, give or take a few. If one out of three flatlines in an M4/6 set, you're down three cars and about 350 seats. The M2's that went through the CSR program are expected to gain an additional ten years of service life, and they're an excellent asset to have for peak service, holidays and during times of equipment shortage. A few of the engineers that I've spoken to also prefer the M2's over the 4's and 6's when it comes to handling. There might be some other factors that play a role in equipment retirement and future maintenance projects, such as ADA-compliance, structural integrity issues (think of the R44's, People - :eek:) and ridership. More stations (Fairfield Metro and West Haven later on in the future) + more service (Waterbury and SLE schedule augmentations, for example) + more migration away from NYC = greater ridership and increased demand for reliable service.

Currently the M8s are testing on the Hudson line via Harlem Line and GCT/Mott Haven Juntion, ive been trying to catch it along harlem but haven't seen it yet. M8s should roll out in service by end of this yr and/or early-mid next yr when testing is finished.

The triplets M4/6s are not going anywhere. the next to go is the M3 LIRR. The M3As may stick a bit or go. Bu since MNCR may get Multi-levels for the Genesis on Hudson the M3as may stick. Not to sure.

M2s will be going.

The M8's may be soon to "roll out in service," but it's not as if the fleet will be delivered all at once like 101 Dalmations (times three and a half). As far as the testing goes, it's my understanding that the initial six cars are headed to Yonkers to have some modifications done at the Kawasaki factory. I have no idea what time this will take place, but don't expect to see a move through MOTT at 8:00 am.

As for M8's in February, hopefully they don't run into more glitches. As for the M4/M6 will stick for the years ahead until another fleet order shows up, now I see em' running New Haven/Stamford Local Runs and possible New Cannan Branch Runs in the future. I do hope the M4/M6's replacement are better looking than the M8's...

I think the M8's are fairly attractive for commuter cars. However, I'm really not all that interested in how the train looks; it's not my personal means of getting around town; I'll spend only a minute or two each day looking at it from the outside, and 80+ each day riding inside of it; most people really don't understand how complex and groundbreaking the technology is on this class of car. It's inarguably the most versatile and advanced commuter railroad equipment in North America and it even rivals the Acela in terms of innovation.

Actually, Connecticut has secured funding for the remaining 38 car option.. and those will be the bar cars for the New Haven Line.

I don't have an exact figure of the proposed number of M8 bar cars, but I was told that it was determined to be more cost-effective for CDOT to convert new passenger cars to bar cars via retrofitting, as opposed to having Kawasaki produce and deliver bar cars themselves.

Archived