NYC Subway Fantasy Map Collaboration

Baseball02

It's a collaboration of the Subway Map!

Post what lines you think should be added, taken away, extended, or reduced.

The map so far, with my contributions:

nycfantasysubwaymap.png

Here's my contributions:

(1) Express between 135 St and 242 St Rush Hours

(2)/(5) Extended to Kings Plaza

(3) Extended to 155 Street.

(6) Extended to To Co-Op City

(7) Extended to Francis Lewis Blvd. Express trains now stop at Jackson Heights. Express trains stop at Citi Field (Shea Stadium) Game Days Only.

(A) Is no longer split (Except for Rush Hours when it goes to Lefferts)

(C) To Yankee Stadium on Game Days Only. Normal Service all other times. (Should this be the A or the C?)

(D) Extened to Gun Hill Rd and meets up with the T.

(F) Rush Hour Super-Express trains in Queens. F is also extended to 206 St - Francis Lewis Blvd. (On weekends, the line ends at Jamaica/179th)

(H) Broad Channel to Rockaway on Weekends. N Conduit Av to Rockaway Rush Hours (To Avoid Track Overload). Ozone/Lefferts to Rockaway Park all other times.

(T) Gun Hill Road to South Ferry/Whitehall St

(U) 125th/Lex to Brighton. (Hmm... do you think think there may be track overload if it is routed this way? Do you think it sohuld be routed with a different route in Brooklyn?)

(W) Brought back, but goes to 125th and Lex instead. (Do you think that the Q go to 125th/Lex, The W to Astoria, and the N made Express instead?)

The (7) 11 Av station is supposed to say 10 Av. Sorry about that.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a collaboration of the Subway Map!

Post what lines you think should be added, taken away, extended, or reduced.

The map so far, with my contributions:

nycfantasysubwaymap.png

Here's my contributions:

(1) Express between 135 St and 242 St Rush Hours

(2)/(5) Extended to Kings Plaza

(3) Extended to 155 Street.

(6) Extended to To Co-Op City

(7) Extended to Francis Lewis Blvd. Express trains now stop at Jackson Heights. Express trains stop at Citi Field (Shea Stadium) Game Days Only.

(A) Is no longer split (Except for Rush Hours when it goes to Lefferts)

(C) To Yankee Stadium on Game Days Only. Normal Service all other times. (Should this be the A or the C?)

(D) Extened to Gun Hill Rd and meets up with the T.

(F) Rush Hour Super-Express trains in Queens. F is also extended to 206 St - Francis Lewis Blvd. (On weekends, the line ends at Jamaica/179th)

(H) Broad Channel to Rockaway on Weekends. N Conduit Av to Rockaway Rush Hours (To Avoid Track Overload). Ozone/Lefferts to Rockaway Park all other times.

(T) Gun Hill Road to South Ferry/Whitehall St

(U) 125th/Lex to Brighton. (Hmm... do you think think there may be track overload if it is routed this way? Do you think it sohuld be routed with a different route in Brooklyn?)

(W) Brought back, but goes to 125th and Lex instead. (Do you think that the Q go to 125th/Lex, The W to Astoria, and the N made Express instead?)

The (7) 11 Av station is supposed to say 10 Av. Sorry about that.

IMO, there is no need for a <1>, its good enough now.

I don't think its possible to extend the (3) beyond the yard.

There is no need for an additional train on the Brighton.

(W) going to 2nd av and (N)/(Q) going to Astoria would chaos havoc at the switch junctions (34th St)

Just my 2 cents:

I was actually going say you could leave the 1 express in because if you ask anyone that commutes from north of 181 thats a long and slow ride (and the changing for the (A) sometimes makes it worse). Just make it local 242-dyckman, have Dyckman as an express stop (island platforms with locals ending here ala Parkchester)

If you look at google maps you'll see that the Seymour Av(5) stop is extremely close to Eastchester Rd so you would do better to put a station East of Seymour Av with a connection to the (5) at the westbound end, east exit at Eastchester and call it Eastchester Rd-Seymour Av.

You could route the (3) up the (4) line in the Bronx so you have more service to the stadium and have one run express in the Bx to Woodlawn, the other turn at BPB. Turning the C there would get messy.

Queens wise why not extend the (F) go to Springfield?

Version 3:

nycfantasysubwaymap.png

(D)/(T) Extended to Co-Op City

Okay:

• Extend the (1) to Staten Island to connect to the SIR;

• Extend the (Q) to the west along 125 St;

• Extend the (L) to Javits Ctr so it can connect to the (7);

• Connect the (T) to the (E) at Chambers St/WTC, effectively creating a Downtown Loop line;

• Extend the (4) from Utica Av as express-bypass along the (3) to East New York and further east to Howard Beach where it can connect to the AirTrain (no track connection, though!);

• Extend the (J)/(Z) down to Stillwell Ave to take over the former route of the (Mx)

Guest lance25
Okay:

• Extend the (1) to Staten Island to connect to the SIR;

• Extend the (Q) to the west along 125 St;

• Extend the (L) to Javits Ctr so it can connect to the (7);

• Connect the (T) to the (E) at Chambers St/WTC, effectively creating a Downtown Loop line;

• Extend the (4) from Utica Av as express-bypass along the (3) to East New York and further east to Howard Beach where it can connect to the AirTrain (no track connection, though!);

• Extend the (J)/(Z) down to Stillwell Ave to take over the former route of the (Mx)

My response:

• Why should the (1) be extended into Staten Island. It would take just as long to get there via train as it would via ferry.

• Building a line under lower Manhattan would be nearly impossible. Also, the World Trade Center station abuts the Broadway line if I'm not mistaken, and even if it doesn't, the WTC site is directly in front of the tracks.

• Stillwell cannot handle that many lines terminating there unless the station was completely rebuilt again.

I like the (L) extension, but I'm unsure about the (4) to Howard Beach.

Version 4:

nycfantasysubwaymap.png

<1> Restored but making all local stops north of 207th Street (I can't make the 1 Express south of 103rd Street becuase it would overload the express tracks!)

(L) Extended to Jacob Javits Center (Transfer Available to the (7)<7> )

Should the <1> skip 215th St?

Version 4:

nycfantasysubwaymap.png

<1> Restored but making all local stops north of 207th Street (I can't make the 1 Express south of 103rd Street becuase it would overload the express tracks!)

(L) Extended to Jacob Javits Center (Transfer Available to the (7)<7> )

Should the <1> skip 215th St?

I just noticed that you have the (Q) going on the 59th st line, it should be using the 63rd st line

And I thought there would be some realism with our ideas, but whatever...

As I said, my mistake. I really thought this was a fantasy thread. I should have read the title and opening post more carefully.

Anyway, which of my suggestions passed the scrutiny test? B)

Guest lance25

@Alargule: Since you asked:

• Like I said, it wouldn't make any sense to send the (1) to Staten Island because the trains can't run any faster under the harbor than the ferry could over it. Plus the tunnel would have to be around five miles long to get from one island to the other.
  • In order to bring the (T) to the World Trade Center, lower Manhattan would have to be nearly rebuilt. Plus, with all the subway lines running north-south routes there, it would be almost impossible to have a line cross the others.
  • Concerning the (J)/(Z) to Coney Island via West End: If the line was fairly content with just one line, why would it need three of them?

Like I said before, I like the (L) extension to the Javits Center, as it gives riders easy access to the Javits Center, as well as the (7) line. I also like the (Q) via 125th Street because it would reduce the number of people on the crosstown buses in Harlem.

Now before anyone says that I'm against fantasy maps, I'm not. I just feel that even though it is one, it should make some sense. I guess I'm just tired of seeing the same ideas pitched ad nauseam even if they've been proven to be impractical. New York City is a big place and large chunks of it are transit deficient. Just look at where some of the lines terminate in real life.

Then you should start a 'what would be realistic additions to the current subway network?'-thread. I can appreciate your frustration; I'm afraid though that you're just venting it in the wrong thread.

The whole concept of 'fantasy' has at its core that you can do away with real-life restrictions like the ones you described. Hell, a fantasy map could even be a complete redrawing of the subway network.

You can extend the 3 to Riverdale. I have a diagram in my docs if you want to see what I mean by that.

Is that fantasy or quasi-reality (which in essense is logical fantasy)? The only issue with that is that the (1) gets there quicker. The idea of lines running crosstown (F/N/R/Q comes to mind) then going back to the east side to get to Brooklyn works farther downtown since transfers are not right across the platform. Actual Riverdale is perched up on a hill (not the piece down the hill by the park), its difficult to get a tunnel up there, and structure is nimbyish. Also, the (1) will get up there quicker anyway, and unlike further downtown, its a cross-platform transfer.

You can extend the 3 to Riverdale. I have a diagram in my docs if you want to see what I mean by that.

Is that fantasy or quasi-reality (which in essense is logical fantasy)? The only issue with that is that the (1) gets there quicker. The idea of lines running crosstown (F/N/R/Q comes to mind) then going back to the east side to get to Brooklyn works farther downtown since transfers are not right across the platform. Actual Riverdale is perched up on a hill (not the piece down the hill by the park), its difficult to get a tunnel up there, and structure is nimbyish. Also, the (1) will get up there quicker anyway, and unlike further downtown, its a cross-platform transfer. Really, train expansion in the Bronx unless you're talking about bringing something to Co-op or putting a rail line in the vicinity of the Bx15/55 is unnecessary.

Im not anti-fantasy either, but I'm in the boat that it has to at least make ridership sense (I'm not going to go down the money route cause that's laden with thorns lol).

Actually sending the (3) along with the (1) to Riverdale is useless. You would be sending the (3) on a sharp U turn to run along with the (1). That won't save time. It would be pratically useless to do it and people would spill into the other lines nearby. So it would be useless.

Archived