Q44 to Bronx Park?

RailRunRob

Just wondering if extending the Q44 to Bronx Park would be a good thing. Fully understood the Jamaica to Bronx Zoo Route is long as is.. Would a extra 1.5 miles be out of the question? The Q44 back in the 80's did go as far as Bronx Park South for those that remember, plus the added connections with SBS 12 and 22 as well as the BL 60,61,62. would be a major plus and it seem's to be room for sharing a terminal with the Bx19 and ample space for a turn around. What do you guys think?

Yep Mark was talking about NYBG. Said Bronx PK B/C I know the Bx19 uses it as a destination sign. tho technically it is the BG. Was just thinking about the SBS 12 ,19 and BL buses having that connection to the Q44. tho it might not be cost effective at this time.

How about extending the route to Fordham Road and turning it around there? It would be really nice if there could be a direct transfer to the Bx12. Either:

Bx9 route to Fordham Road, then Bx17 to East 187 St, then back down via the Bx9 route.

Bx36 route to 3 Av and continue north and turn around via the Bx15 route.

As a last resort, reroute to White Plains Rd after Parkchester and run up to/terminate at Fordham Road.

How about extending the route to Fordham Road and turning it around there? It would be really nice if there could be a direct transfer to the Bx12. Either:

Bx9 route to Fordham Road, then Bx17 to East 187 St, then back down via the Bx9 route.

Bx36 route to 3 Av and continue north and turn around via the Bx15 route.

As a last resort, reroute to White Plains Rd after Parkchester and run up to/terminate at Fordham Road.

No. Passanger demand for Bx17 to Fordham Plaza. Everything should stay the same. Just extend the Q44 to NYBG with the Bx19 and loop down to 180th St/Southern Blvd back to its current route.

If thats not what your saying then im confused.

What could be done for the Q44 extension to Fordham Plaza is to run it via 182nd Street, filling a gap between Fordham and 180th St. It would serve Aquinas HS, St. Barnabas Hospital, Fordham University, and Little Italy

Route: Cross Bronx Expwy, Rosedale Av, 180th St, Boston Rd, 182nd St, Arthur Av, 184th, 3rd Av

What could be done for the Q44 extension to Fordham Plaza is to run it via 182nd Street, filling a gap between Fordham and 180th St. It would serve Aquinas HS, St. Barnabas Hospital, Fordham University, and Little Italy

Route: Cross Bronx Expwy, Rosedale Av, 180th St, Boston Rd, 182nd St, Arthur Av, 184th, 3rd Av

Extending the Q44 even further would make it tooo long especially since it goes to Jamaica, even longer the the Q60 maybe.

And isn't Arthur Avenue a single street?

Just wondering if extending the Q44 to Bronx Park would be a good thing. Fully understood the Jamaica to Bronx Zoo Route is long as is.. Would a extra 1.5 miles be out of the question? The Q44 back in the 80's did go as far as Bronx Park South for those that remember, plus the added connections with SBS 12 and 22 as well as the BL 60,61,62. would be a major plus and it seem's to be room for sharing a terminal with the Bx19 and ample space for a turn around. What do you guys think?

Welcome aboard Rob. Actually before the fiscal crisis in 2007, former (MTA) boss Eliot Sandler proposed a new supplemental Q94 that would have ran between Fordham Center and Flushing (Main/Roosevelt). While the Q44 would become a limited stop also in the Bronx weekdays between Parkchester (6) station and the Whitestone Bridge.

However like several other new routes proposed, the Q94 proposal was canned. IMO when the recession is over, creating a similar new route to the planned Q94 makes much more sense than extending the Q44.

Thanks very much ShortLine

Been visiting the site for sometime now just never posted. Thus my Apr 09 join date. Okay the Q94 plan makes sense. Was in the Fordham area a few weeks ago on Southern Blvd and Fordham. Q44 seemed so close. Just wondering.

Extending the Q44 even further would make it tooo long especially since it goes to Jamaica, even longer the the Q60 maybe.

And isn't Arthur Avenue a single street?

Between 182nd and 184th, it's a two way. South of 182nd, it becomes Quarry Road.

Here, I have to say no to an extension. because of length. The MTA actually doesn't want local and limited routes to be too long; if the M5 is already too long, then so would a Q44 extension.

If it were up to me, I would ahctually truncate alternating Q44 runs to Parkchester. That's problem # 1; problem #2 is that the Q44 is assigned to Stengel instead of Jamaica or West Farms; I would move the Q44 to a split between the two with Stengel getting the Q17 and Q66 in return.

The Q44 is long enough as it is (maybe 90-100 mins end to end). Extending it even further would require more buses or a depot split

Here, I have to say no to an extension. because of length. The MTA actually doesn't want local and limited routes to be too long; if the M5 is already too long, then so would a Q44 extension.

If it were up to me, I would ahctually truncate alternating Q44 runs to Parkchester. That's problem # 1; problem #2 is that the Q44 is assigned to Stengel instead of Jamaica or West Farms; I would move the Q44 to a split between the two with Stengel getting the Q17 and Q66 in return.

The Q66 is (MTA) Bus. It can't be transfered to NYCT Bus since the 2 companies aren't completely merged yet

Yep Q44 is long no question about it I Think the Q94 plan Shortline spoke of would be the answer. For service to Queens from the Fordham Area. I believe service to Queens from that area would be used.

When the recession is over I would do the following.

Q94-Local (weekdays only 6am-Midnight)between 225th/Bway and Flushing(Main/Roosevelt).

Q44-Weekdays limited stop between Whitestone Bridge and Parkcester (6)station. Alternative buses weekdays start/end at Parkchester.

Weekends and Overnights same Q44 service.

When the recession is over I would do the following.

Q94-Local (weekdays only 6am-Midnight)between 225th/Bway and Flushing(Main/Roosevelt).

Q44-Weekdays limited stop between Whitestone Bridge and Parkcester (6)station. Alternative buses weekdays start/end at Parkchester.

Weekends and Overnights same Q44 service.

Cutting off Jamaica riders? Terrible idea my friend. The Q44 gets most of their riders from Jamaica and the little parts of Kew Gardens it hits, THEN Flushing. The line gets severely packed going into The Bronx, the Q50 looks comfortable compared to the Q44.

Cutting off Jamaica riders? Terrible idea my friend.

Caith my friend in reply. The Q94 (which the MTA proposed right before the fiscal crisis in which i endorsed)would be supplemental route. The Q44 remains the same and Jamaica/lower Main St riders benefit since alternative buses would end/start at Parkchester.

Or they could transfer to the Q94 for Bronx Park/Bronx Zoo and Fordham service.

Caith my friend in reply. The Q94 (which the MTA proposed right before the fiscal crisis in which i endorsed)would be supplemental route. The Q44 remains the same and Jamaica/lower Main St riders benefit since alternative buses would end/start at Parkchester.

Or they could transfer to the Q94 for Bronx Park/Bronx Zoo and Fordham service.

Ahh, I see what you mean now. But limited service between Flushing & Jamaica is warranted because of the amount of people the line alone picks up from that portion. It doesnt make sense to have Limited service between The Bronx and Flushing as there are not many stops inbetween those two areas compared to Flushing and Jamaica. The line makes more stops in Queens than it does in The Bronx. The Q20A/Q20B picks up the scraps that the Q44 doesnt pick up until it arrives at Flushing, which is of course, a different scenario. By axing limited service between that portion of the line, bunching would become a huge issue. The Q44 should stay as it is in my opinion.

I honestly don't think 1 extra mile would hurt since the route is already 50 miles long, a connection to the Bx12 SBS would be cool. However the extra crowds would be terrible, this is a route that is packed after 2 stops, it kinda is the 4th busiest route in the city however the Q20 & Q44 aren't counted together for whatever reason.

Ahh, I see what you mean now. But limited service between Flushing & Jamaica is warranted because of the amount of people the line alone picks up from that portion. It doesnt make sense to have Limited service between The Bronx and Flushing as there are not many stops inbetween those two areas compared to Flushing and Jamaica. The line makes more stops in Queens than it does in The Bronx. The Q20A/Q20B picks up the scraps that the Q44 doesnt pick up until it arrives at Flushing, which is of course, a different scenario. By axing limited service between that portion of the line, bunching would become a huge issue. The Q44 should stay as it is in my opinion.

The purpose of the Q94 if and when it ever starts to run was designed as a weekday only supplemental for both the Q44 and BX9. Such those Queens residents going to Fordham or even Leham college. Or Bronx residents going to colleges in Queens as well such as QCC(via transfer)or Queens College.

Not to mention HS students who no longer have the X32 to go from Queens/Bronx HS Science as well. And don't forget the adults as well to create room on the very busy Q44 and BX9 between Flushing and Fordham Rd.

The Marble Hill Q94 idea is a good one.. How do they warrant Borough designation? If infact it did run from Broadway to Flushing would that Q turn to a Bx? seems like most of the route would indeed be on the Bronx side.. Wonder the same for the Q50 seems to have more stops in the Bronx.. Maybe B/C it's based out of CollegePoint? Is it based off Depot or miles in the dominant Borough?

Cutting off Jamaica riders? Terrible idea my friend. The Q44 gets most of their riders from Jamaica and the little parts of Kew Gardens it hits, THEN Flushing. The line gets severely packed going into The Bronx, the Q50 looks comfortable compared to the Q44.

What he means is that the Q44 would make LTD stops between Parkchester and 14th Av, then same to Jamaica. Currently, it runs local north of 14th Av.

As for the Q94 idea, it would be a very good idea to take loads off the Bx9, Q44, and other nearby routes.

This could be a potential travel path for it.

Route: 225th St, Kingsbridge, Fordham, Southern, 180th, Rosedale-Taylor Avs, Cross Bronx, Hutch Pkwy-Brush Av, Whitestone Bridge, then Q50 route to Flushing

With the Q94 following the Q50 in Queens, it would bypass Mitchell Gardens and Flushing HS and allow it to serve the College Point Shopping Center and the Mail Facility.

Rather than making it weekdays only, it should be a 7-day a week line since it would become very popular.

Q94 was supposed to be a Super Limited route from Flushing to Fordham Plaza (some limited school service to Bedford Park). Q44 would remain the same. If anything the Q94 would make less stops in the Bronx on the Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road or East 177th Street than the Q44.

Archived