R160s question

Bus Guy

When the R160's were delivered,they took a 5-car set and took one car out of each set.they did this to the 1st R160A-2 set they had when they were testing the first R160's the (MTA) got.they also tested an 11-car R160 train.

So the answer is yes then lol

What the hell would the point of that be, other than the non operating consideration of satisfying foamers who haven't seen a particular car on a particular line?

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask how the new tech sets are broken up...does the pin on the drawbar have to be removed manually or is it electrically disconnected in the car somehow?

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask how the new tech sets are broken up...does the pin on the drawbar have to be removed manually or is it electrically disconnected in the car somehow?

Nothing can be done from the car. To take apart a set, they must be physically separated in the yard by shop personnel.

What the hell would the point of that be, other than the non operating consideration of satisfying foamers who haven't seen a particular car on a particular line?

Good point but are they coupled in semi-permanent or permanent 4 and/or 5 car sets?

Are 160s HONESTLY needed on shuttles?

No.

No, so let's get back on topic.

That was on topic.

And who cares how an R160 can uncouple...like it really matters.

Since people here are interested in trains, I guess I made the mistake of figuring that they might actually be interested in learning something new about what they claim to be interested in. I guess we all have the answers already hey?

Are 160s HONESTLY needed on shuttles?

No, so let's get back on topic.

And who cares how an R160 can uncouple...like it really matters.

This seems to be a trend among the younger generation of transit "enthusiasts"...all they care about is car assignments.

Since people here are interested in trains, I guess I made the mistake of figuring that they might actually be interested in learning something new about what they claim to be interested in. I guess we all have the answers already hey?

I actually never knew about that and I thank you for sharing that with me :tup:

This seems to be a trend among the younger generation of transit "enthusiasts"...all they care about is car assignments.

To hell with the car assignments lol

When I imitate R160 announcement on Shuttles, I think this might be sound better.

42nd St Shuttle:

This is shuttle train to Times Sq/Grand Central. Next and last stop is Times Sq/Grand Central.

This is Times Sq-42nd St. Transfer is available to 1, 2, 3, 7, A, C, E, N, Q, R, W, PABT. Ladies & Gentelemen, as you exit, please be careful of gap between platform and train..

For Franklin Av Shuttle:

This is shuttle train to Franklin Av/Prospect Park.

On SIR

This is train to St. George. Next and last stop is St. George.

This is St. George. Transfer is available to Staten Island Ferry. Ladies & Gentlemen, please buy or have your MetroCard ready to exit system.

Helpful post -- very glad you mentioned the A. I think most everybody forgot that train saw the very first R160s. They lasted what, three weeks on the A? IIRC, the trains were in revenue service almost from the getgo. That was definitely an odd sight to see, especially since you'd have an R160 on one train and an R38 on another.

160 had a lot of issues when it was used the n the line was considered to long for a train that could break down a lot

Semi permanent.

There is no such thing as a permanent coupling. Cars of a set necessarily must separate for occasional maintenance.

I think and articulated trainset like some of the high speed stuff in Europe would be considered permanent since the cars need to be taken apart to separate the units, not just un-doing the link bar and rolling them apart.

I think and articulated trainset like some of the high speed stuff in Europe would be considered permanent since the cars need to be taken apart to separate the units, not just un-doing the link bar and rolling them apart.

I thought about that as well, but for the purposes of picking up a single car, even in an articulated section, it would have to come apart somehow, so even though more work would be involved to separate them it wouldn't be "permanent"

Archived