R160s question

Bus Guy

Guest lance25

I've never seen them on the (B) line.

I think the shouls just take a 4 set of R160 and replace those R68 on the (S).

Why? The R68s are fine there.

These are all the lines that seen R160s at one time or another in passenger service...

(A)*(D)**(E)(F)(G)***(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(Z)

*When the R160s came in, they first started out there testing (although still technically in passenger service)

**When the (D) was split in 2 sections a while back, there was some CI R160s on the (D)

***When the (G) is split in 2 sections and is extended to Coney Island for (F) service, sometimes Jamaica's R160s are used in full 10-car sets (although the northen half of the split will still use 4-car R46s

The (C) was not included cuz that time there was R160s there, it was just rerouted (E) trains

Franklin (S) can't handle more then 2 cars.

depends....

2 R68s = 150 ft

2 R160s = 120 ft

3 R160s = 180 ft

Id say the (S) could handle a 3 car set and bump the extra car to make a 6 car set for use on say the (E) or (F).....or rig it up with the 3 R143s out of service.

The R160'S and the R68's run in married 2 car sets. You can't get a three car set unless you break the set into pieces which is nearly impossible. To say it in a better term the (S) shuttles would never see an R160, and you can stop dreaming and foaming about it, because it won't happen. I believe the only (S) that would see an R160 is the Rockaway Park (S) which during it's summer months is increased to 8 cars to help with the beachgoers. No other (S) would see an R160. Same with the 42nd Street (S) it would never see an R142. If you were wondering I only posted the R160 (B) train because someone requested for one, and I don't really find R160's different from any other subway car. It's just a train nothing more.

For those people that aren't happy with the R32's and R46's on the (A) and (C) stop complaining. They might leave by 2015 to be replaced by the mythical R179.

Also the R160's, and R143's will not be taken off the (E), (L), and the (F) to please any foamer. The (MTA) decides on the fate and the line the R160's run on.

At the moment, they are on the lines they run on because of CBTC. The 4 car units are because the (J) can't fit longer trains. They can also outfit some easily for CBTC and it won't be a long transfer for use on the (L). The 143s are self explanatory. The queens lines have it for CBTC down the line, notice it does not go uptown on lines where ATS is eventually planned (CBTC has an ATS like function as well).

depends....

2 R68s = 150 ft

2 R160s = 120 ft

3 R160s = 180 ft

Id say the (S) could handle a 3 car set and bump the extra car to make a 6 car set for use on say the (E) or (F).....or rig it up with the 3 R143s out of service.

Are shuttles even programmed in?

Also imagine the FINDs on the 42nd Street Shuttle....

"This is a Grand Central bound Shuttle train...The Next and Last stop is...

Grand Central 42 St."

How ridiculous would that sound BTW....

wait what am i saying? 42st is IRT xD

Guest lance25

I'm not sure of the 42nd Street or Franklin Avenue shuttles, but the Rockaway Park shuttle is indeed in the system.

Proof

img_114503.jpg

Courtesy: Emmanuel Nicolas (NYCSubway.org)

depends....

2 R68s = 150 ft

2 R160s = 120 ft

3 R160s = 180 ft

The R160'S and the R68's run in married 2 car sets. You can't get a three car set unless you break the set into pieces which is nearly impossible. To say it in a better term the (S) shuttles would never see an R160, and you can stop dreaming and foaming about it, because it won't happen. I believe the only (S) that would see an R160 is the Rockaway Park (S) which during it's summer months is increased to 8 cars to help with the beachgoers. No other (S) would see an R160. Same with the 42nd Street (S) it would never see an R142.

R160's run in FOUR car (R160A-1) or FIVE car (R160A-2, R160B) sets, not 2 or 3 car sets.

Neither a four car set nor a five car set could run on the Franklin Shuttle.

The R160'S and the R68's run in married 2 car sets. You can't get a three car set unless you break the set into pieces which is nearly impossible. To say it in a better term the (S) shuttles would never see an R160, and you can stop dreaming and foaming about it, because it won't happen. I believe the only (S) that would see an R160 is the Rockaway Park (S) which during it's summer months is increased to 8 cars to help with the beachgoers. No other (S) would see an R160. Same with the 42nd Street (S) it would never see an R142. If you were wondering I only posted the R160 (:P train because someone requested for one, and I don't really find R160's different from any other subway car. It's just a train nothing more.

For those people that aren't happy with the R32's and R46's on the (A) and (C) stop complaining. They might leave by 2015 to be replaced by the mythical R179.

Also the R160's, and R143's will not be taken off the (E), (L), and the (F) to please any foamer. The (MTA) decides on the fate and the line the R160's run on.

these cars on the franklin shuttle are still singles 2916-2924 they can be cut and added on both endes

Can't the R160s be broken up if needed? I forgot where I read it, but the R142s can be broken up from 5 cars to be in 3, 4, 6, or 11 (not sure how the latter would work out) car sets as semi-married sets but I guess the principle is still the same

For the record, you would never find the 42 St (S) on any R160...that's A-division. You can find all the B-division routes on a R160 (I've seen them all except for the shuttles, but that was proven) with almost every possible combination for them. Somme examples...

(C) to Bedfors Pk Blvd

(Q) to 96 St-2 Av (yes, it exists already)

(F) via West End & Sea Beach

(J) to Prospect Park

Can't the R160s be broken up if needed? I forgot where I read it, but the R142s can be broken up from 5 cars to be in 3, 4, 6, or 11 (not sure how the latter would work out) car sets as semi-married sets but I guess the principle is still the same

For the record, you would never find the 42 St (S) on any R160...that's A-division. You can find all the B-division routes on a R160 (I've seen them all except for the shuttles, but that was proven) with almost every possible combination for them. Somme examples...

(C) to Bedfors Pk Blvd

(Q) to 96 St-2 Av (yes, it exists already)

(F) via West End & Sea Beach

(J) to Prospect Park

When the R160's were delivered,they took a 5-car set and took one car out of each set.they did this to the 1st R160A-2 set they had when they were testing the first R160's the (MTA) got.they also tested an 11-car R160 train.

Archived