Unused tracks - ever used?

Gorgor

Wow guys thanks a lot for posting!

I left out one that I forgot before: Have any trains used the switches at W4th Street to switch between 6th ave local and 8th ave local? (Besides for GO's)

Take the Train to the Plane...

Take the Train to the Plane...

via the West 4th St junction.

In other words, yes.

What about the A1 & A2 tracks that are no longer connected just north of 57 St/7 Av on the Broadway line? According to footnotes in Peter Dougherty's track book, these were supposed to be used to connect to a never-built CPW line. Were they ever long enough to store a train or a few cars?

Sorry I don't know which ones A1 & 2 are, I'm assuming you mean the local tracks? The Queens bound side has an office/room (storage maybe)? where the tracks rising up leading to CPW should be. There's a ramp leading down from where the tracks would have been coming from CPW onto the Downtown bound local track. I don't know if there's tracks on the ramps or not. I don't think they were built long enough to store a train either. As far as I know those ramps don't meet up so they would be useless for storage/turning trains around if they were working.

The express tracks that were supposed to lead to CPW were realigned to serve the 63rd Street Tunnel. The express tracks aren't long enough for trains to use to turn around.

If I remember the Astoria Express was canceled back in 2001 or 2002 due to low ridership.
January 15, 2002 to be exact. :P(N) trains were crowded, (W) trains were underutilized since it barely served Astoria.

When the (Mx) went via Brighton.
Was there a reason as to why the (Mx) even went via Brighton? The (D) and the former <QB> from my understanding were enough to serve Brighton line residents.

I have a few questions and these aren't based on revenue service, but any service at all (be it work trains, layups, anything).

- The stub track right before 167th on Grand Concourse (:P and (D) lines going downtown. I've never seen any trains parked or anything on there, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

- The tracks on the Nassau portion of Manhattan (J), (M), (Z) which you merge onto right after you leave Essex Street towards the Willey. Are there layups or anything stored there, or are they defunct now.

-The middle track between 72nd street and 81st street via Central Park West going uptown (;), (D), (C), (A). I've seen all express train traffic be directed on the track that's scraping the right side of the wall, while the local scrapes the left. I've never seen that middle track used for anything.

- I have been on a train on the DOWNTOWN side which switched onto it because of passenger with a medical condition bringing CPW to a halt, but I'm asking specifically about the uptown side.

Thanks.

-I've never seen that stub track used

-At Essex St station, all 3 tracks are used, the (J)(M)(Z) uses the southbound track, the Queens-bound (J)(Z) trains uses the center track, and the Brooklyn-bound (M) train uses the outbound local track since it comes from the Chrystie cut and that's the only track it connects to. West of the station (Broad St-bound), the northbound local track isn't used except for emergencies (I seen it used when there was a 12-9 at Bowery, ironically, that was my first time on a R160 (Z) lol.) All northbound (J)(Z) trains uses the center track so it can use the same platform as the downtown trains.

-A5 & A6 tracks on the CPW, I haven't seen used except to hold garbage trains and a museum train one time

What about the A1 & A2 tracks that are no longer connected just north of 57 St/7 Av on the Broadway line? According to footnotes in Peter Dougherty's track book, these were supposed to be used to connect to a never-built CPW line. Were they ever long enough to store a train or a few cars?

Along with the previous poster, some (possible) tracks for work equip?--

A5 south of 34 St on the 8 Av line

1A and M tracks south of 125 St on the Lex

A5-A7 in the 174 St Yard

1 & S south of Brooklyn Bridge IRT

-A5 I've seen used for work trains and garbage trains to be held there so they won't tie up traffic

-I'm not sure

-I'm not sure, probably to store extra (C) (and possibly (A) trains)

-Those tracks, I've seen the 42 St (S) in there one time. I assume that's where the shuttles go first before heading back uptown to the yard since the only way off the (S) on the Lex end is through the downtown tracks

-At Essex St station, all 3 tracks are used, the (J)(M)(Z) uses the southbound track, the Queens-bound (J)(Z) trains uses the center track, and the Brooklyn-bound (M) train uses the outbound local track since it comes from the Chrystie cut and that's the only track it connects to. West of the station (Broad St-bound), the northbound local track isn't used except for emergencies (I seen it used when there was a 12-9 at Bowery, ironically, that was my first time on a R160 (Z) lol.) All northbound (J)(Z) trains uses the center track so it can use the same platform as the downtown trains.

Thanks for the other replies. I wasn't referring to the station itself, I was referring to the tracks that connect to what I believe were the old trolley tracks (that mini-layup yard) where your tracks switch onto right after Essex (or was it Bowery).

As for the middle track between 72 and 81 Streets, I have been on a couple trains which switched from local to express via that track. I have no idea what the original purpose of that track was though. Maybe that was supposed to connect to the Broadway line at 57 Street/ 7 Avenue.

Thanks for the other replies. I wasn't referring to the station itself, I was referring to the tracks that connect to what I believe were the old trolley tracks (that mini-layup yard) where your tracks switch onto right after Essex (or was it Bowery).

Nothing connects to the old trolley terminal anymore. The only thing over there is the Essex St tower, although you can still see the old trolley tracks

As for the middle track between 72 and 81 Streets, I have been on a couple trains which switched from local to express via that track. I have no idea what the original purpose of that track was though. Maybe that was supposed to connect to the Broadway line at 57 Street/ 7 Avenue.

I would guess the Broadway tracks would have to connect from the side to either the express tracks. There might not be enough space to ramp up or down from the middle tracks on both levels.

Essex St had a trolley terminal, not a yard. I believe, however, they do have layup tracks past Essex Street at the abandoned side of Bowery and Canal St

Thanks guy i dont see why they dont use those Track beds for a yard. The (J), (M) & (Z) get back up from time to time u can store a few sets. It would save some time in the AM with Put in's from that End.

Now that I do agree, I always thought that they could've used that small space for a mini yard. Not sure how long a train they can fit there [maybe 4-car trains?]

But it would be better than nothing there. imo.

Creative idea: instead of a straight track (which obviously won't fit), use a curved track.

Archived