Bus drivers running early

Via Garibaldi 8

Who in the hell is Johm Q??? I'm not that pathetic that I need to impose on some other dude.

An annoying Long Islander that hates the "illegals" that comprise most of the ridership of LIB that *****es about everything wrong with Long Island Bus and tries to "propose" things that will supposedly fix them, as well as anything that annoys him in an attempt to give himself some purpose for living.

But he *****es so much he got roasted in some topic and left the forums. For your sake, I'm not saying any more.

An annoying Long Islander that hates the "illegals" that comprise most of the ridership of LIB that *****es about everything wrong with Long Island Bus and tries to "propose" things that will supposedly fix them, as well as anything that annoys him in an attempt to give himself some purpose for living.

But he *****es so much he got roasted in some topic and left the forums. For your sake, I'm not saying any more.

I can only speak for Staten Island from a transit point of view. In some cases it's not a question of more frequent service, but rather the headways. A lot of buses on Staten Island generally run every 20 - 30 minutes during non peak hours. I would like some lines to run more frequently, but if the demand isn't there then obviously it doesn't make sense to run them. All I am saying is that people on Staten Island are well aware of these waiting times and try to make due by trying to actually plan their commute, but if you have buses showing up whenever, it makes that impossible. All I was trying to understand was if there are different headways at different depots or different boroughs and why more than anything.

What I've noticed with most bus drivers (not all) is that if they're early, they'll wait at a timepoint (major bus stop) and pull off when they're supposed to. Other times, they just speed through the line and get extra layover time at the terminal

I've noticed this also and I had this driver on the X16 that would do this everyday and he was the last bus of the morning. He would come several minutes early fly down Forest Avenue and then sit at Clove Road & Victory. There were regulars that would get really pissed because of this because they'd miss him becuase he'd come earlier and earlier. I find it quite confusing because if he is supposed to be at "X" stop at "X" time, then why would he be allowed to blow by several stops where several people probably missed him, yet sit at one "major" stop where no one gets on? See I get annoyed about things like this because these are the types of things that led to the X16 being axed because they claimed that ridership was low, but the consistency of the buses was terrible.

I've noticed this also and I had this driver on the X16 that would do this everyday and he was the last bus of the morning. He would come several minutes early fly down Forest Avenue and then sit at Clove Road & Victory. There were regulars that would get really pissed because of this because they'd miss him becuase he'd come earlier and earlier. I find it quite confusing because if he is supposed to be at "X" stop at "X" time, then why would he be allowed to blow by several stops where several people probably missed him, yet sit at one "major" stop where no one gets on? See I get annoyed about things like this because these are the types of things that led to the X16 being axed because they claimed that ridership was low, but the consistency of the buses was terrible.

You see I've talked about this with other Staten Islanders, and we've come to the conclusion that the MTA hates giving us any type of service, especially express bus service because they don't think there is any real demand for public transportation on Staten Island, particularly because we're on an island with "just" 500,000 people. Meanwhile we see Manhattan and the other boroughs getting more service improvements while we have many express bus lines that are standing room only. They continue to jack up the toll on the Verrazano bridge that was supposed to have been free once it was paid for and is now $13.00. We have been long overdue for new depots and for years have had just Yukon and Castleton, which are both overutilized, while other boroughs have had new depots. Now the poster Fresh Pond talked about how Manhattanville Depot frowns upon early B/Os, and when you think about the areas that a lot of the buses go in out of that depot, it makes me wonder if they frown upon it because at least five of their lines go into areas like the Upper East & West Side? It may seem like nothing, but it is exactly the reason why Staten Islanders feel like the forgotten borough because we have well-to-do areas here as well, yet we can't get the same headways as Manhattan even though we usually have longer wait times? It doesn't help that we don't have the political clout that areas like Bay Ridge have either. The MTA doesn't look well on upon Bay Ridge either because it's more "suburban" like Staten Island is, but they've got more political clout than us. I'm interested to hear thoughts on this.

As for buses being on time. Its a hard duty, and its damn sure not a easy task. And then when your late people still complain, so its a lose lose situation. Im usually 5-10 ahead of sch to give my self extra room because my last run is a killer rush hour run usually average 90ppl on and off.

I sympathize with you because a lot of this falls on the MTA's shoulders because the give too much time or too little time to get from point A to point B. However are you are aware of how many people you may be leaving behind as a result of you running 10 minutes early? You see this what Staten Islanders deal with. Now if you're on a line that only runs every 30 minutes and you're 10 minutes early, that means everyone you missed will be waiting a good 35-40 minutes for the next bus, which is usually late.

You see I've talked about this with other Staten Islanders, and we've come to the conclusion that the MTA hates giving us any type of service, especially express bus service because they don't think there is any real demand for public transportation on Staten Island, particularly because we're on an island with "just" 500,000 people. Meanwhile we see Manhattan and the other boroughs getting more service improvements while we have many express bus lines that are standing room only. They continue to jack up the toll on the Verrazano bridge that was supposed to have been free once it was paid for and is now $13.00. We have been long overdue for new depots and for years have had just Yukon and Castleton, which are both overutilized, while other boroughs have had new depots. Now the poster Fresh Pond talked about how Manhattanville Depot frowns upon early B/Os, and when you think about the areas that a lot of the buses go in out of that depot, it makes me wonder if they frown upon it because at least five of their lines go into areas like the Upper East & West Side? It may seem like nothing, but it is exactly the reason why Staten Islanders feel like the forgotten borough because we have well-to-do areas here as well, yet we can't get the same headways as Manhattan even though we usually have longer wait times? It doesn't help that we don't have the political clout that areas like Bay Ridge have either. The MTA doesn't look well on upon Bay Ridge either because it's more "suburban" like Staten Island is, but they've got more political clout than us. I'm interested to hear thoughts on this.

You know what, I really do understand where you're coming from as I'm a regular Staten Island commuter because I go to school out there three days a week and I can symphatize. While I live in Brooklyn, Staten Island is like a second home and I really do like the borough as a whole (just look at my avatar; I'm glad Staten Island has a third depot and a fourth one opening within a month). Yes, Staten Island bus service sucks to the fullest extent; the further you go (South Shore and Tottenville) from the ferry terminal than the more the bus service sucks, and it's not fair. Yeah I've had this "deal with it" attitude but Staten Island deserves more. They are a part of New York City too whether people like it or not and it kills me when people decide to talk shit about the residents as well as the area just because it's the "forgotten borough", you have the ghetto of Port Richmond, the obnoxious and racist Tottenville/South Shore, and right across the street from the Staten Island Mall in New Springville, a dumpsite that's now closed. So yeah, I can understand your frustration because other people don't see your points of view just because you're from Staten Island and people decide to live with a laissez faire attitude just because it's someone else's problem and not their own.

I've noticed this also and I had this driver on the X16 that would do this everyday and he was the last bus of the morning. He would come several minutes early fly down Forest Avenue and then sit at Clove Road & Victory. There were regulars that would get really pissed because of this because they'd miss him because he'd come earlier and earlier. I find it quite confusing because if he is supposed to be at "X" stop at "X" time, then why would he be allowed to blow by several stops where several people probably missed him, yet sit at one "major" stop where no one gets on? See I get annoyed about things like this because these are the types of things that led to the X16 being axed because they claimed that ridership was low, but the consistency of the buses was terrible.

Honestly the only reason I know of for guys to do that is to avoid picking up passengers and/or screwing the driver behind them.

I know at CTTransit thats worth a write up and time off if they catch you doing it.Guys like that do get in trouble....Road Ops and Dispatch are not as stupid as they seem......they know who the problem children are.

You sound a lot like JohnQPine...just saying.

nah...

johnny boy only gets that aggressive when he's talking about someone who he knows won't retaliate back (like, some politician).... if it's someone he (wants to) reference on a forum, he speaks in very general terms...

besides, this guy Garibaldi has a genuine knowledge of SI... I can sense it in his posts....

while johnny boy d**krides the SHIT out of NJ !!!

I am aware of how many people that are left behind. The common rule for riding the bus is to show up 10-15mins prior to the time the bus is going to show up. Ofcourse people dont follow that because those ******** with the silver spoons in there mouth think the bus is suppose to wait for them. You dont have to be a John Hancock to know that, its just common sense. If someone told you to meet them at the Mall at 530 you would try to get there at 515, 520, or 525 and you would do your best to get there before 530 Same when your going to watch 8PM movie at the theater. If someone is left behind its not my problem, I have a sch to keep and I dont want to hear no bullshyt from supervison at the end of my shift.

I am aware of how many people that are left behind. The common rule for riding the bus is to show up 10-15mins prior to the time the bus is going to show up. Ofcourse people dont follow that because those ******** with the silver spoons in there mouth think the bus is suppose to wait for them. You dont have to be a John Hancock to know that, its just common sense. If someone told you to meet them at the Mall at 530 you would try to get there at 515, 520, or 525 and you would do your best to get there before 530 Same when your going to watch 8PM movie at the theater. If someone is left behind its not my problem, I have a sch to keep and I dont want to hear no bullshyt from supervison at the end of my shift.

LOL... And how many passengers actually know this "unspoken rule"? Not many and I sure as heck didn't. I generally arrive 5 -10 minutes at the most before the bus is scheduled to arrive because I would expect a driver to show up at the most 5 minutes early based on the schedule, but 10-15 is a bit ridiculous and the problem seems to be that each depot appears to have different headways. On Staten Island the waiting times are long enough at 20 - 30 minutes in most cases, so no one wants to wait 35 - 40 minutes for a bus. My problem with that is that you show up 10 - 15 minutes early and the next guy comes later than what is posted on the schedule, so there's no consistency and that's exactly how lines become overcrowded and buses become bunched, and that is real problem with service on Staten Island more than the actual service. The MTA needs to do a better job in spacing buses and the amount of time they give the drivers to get from point A to point B and the dispatchers need to be posted more on certain lines. I rode the X1 in yesterday and today and both days I noticed that they had a dispatcher right on Hylan and Clove Rd and those drivers adhere to the schedule to the minute. It's especially important on that line because they know if one bus shows up early and misses people it can screw up all of the other X1s behind it. I'm glad you explained this. These are the things that the riding public should know and not just in Staten Island but in all boroughs and should be pressing our elected officials to have changed with the MTA. Accountability on all levels, not just fiscally, but also in terms of service.

You dont have to know that rule. Its common sense to show up early. You damn sure are not going to show 15mins late to a doctors appointment because you may not even get in there. Stop trying to prove a point and give yourself extra time and stop crying. Dude every depot has a set routes they control. Ofcourse the headways are different.

Let me just say this, you dont work in transit, so its hard for you to understand from your pov. If you were in my shoes, Knightriders shoes, BSGuys shoes; You would know. Its hard to explain these things to a common person, a railfan and busfan will understand, but a common passenger just knows the bus is coming and they will be there early to make sure they get where they are going.

Im sorry but giving yourself 5 mins is just a fail on you. If you gave yourself a extra 15mins then your problem goes away and you can stop crying. How hard is that. Is it to cold for you to stand outside for 15 extra mins?

Ofcourse the drivers will adhere to the schedule when higher ups are around, because they dont want to here bullshyt from supervision. Bus scheduling is one of the hardest things to keep consistant on because of the traffic on the road. The schedule doesnt include people that are picked up, traffic lights, speed limits, and so on. That is what people do not understand. With NJT they tell us if we hit traffic we are responsable to find our own way and be on time, and that sucks for me because I am not 100% with the roads down there, I havent had the situtation yet.

Of course the drivers will adhere to the schedule when higher ups are around, because they dont want to here bullshyt from supervision. Bus scheduling is one of the hardest things to keep consistant on because of the traffic on the road. The schedule doesnt include people that are picked up, traffic lights, speed limits, and so on. That is what people do not understand. With NJT they tell us if we hit traffic we are responsable to find our own way and be on time, and that sucks for me because I am not 100% with the roads down there, I havent had the situtation yet.

Lol NJT lets you do things like that when it comes to traffic?! I approve!

Lol NJT lets you do things like that when it comes to traffic?! I approve!

Yupp. This is a exact quote that came over the radio "Attention all opts, AC Expressway is jamed and you are required to find your own way to the AC Bus Term and be on time". I got lucky that day and way on my way back to the garage.

You dont have to know that rule. Its common sense to show up early. You damn sure are not going to show 15mins late to a doctors appointment because you may not even get in there. Stop trying to prove a point and give yourself extra time and stop crying. Dude every depot has a set routes they control. Ofcourse the headways are different.

Let me just say this, you dont work in transit, so its hard for you to understand from your pov. If you were in my shoes, Knightriders shoes, BSGuys shoes; You would know. Its hard to explain these things to a common person, a railfan and busfan will understand, but a common passenger just knows the bus is coming and they will be there early to make sure they get where they are going.

Im sorry but giving yourself 5 mins is just a fail on you. If you gave yourself a extra 15mins then your problem goes away and you can stop crying. How hard is that. Is it to cold for you to stand outside for 15 extra mins?

Ofcourse the drivers will adhere to the schedule when higher ups are around, because they dont want to here bullshyt from supervision. Bus scheduling is one of the hardest things to keep consistant on because of the traffic on the road. The schedule doesnt include people that are picked up, traffic lights, speed limits, and so on. That is what people do not understand. With NJT they tell us if we hit traffic we are responsable to find our own way and be on time, and that sucks for me because I am not 100% with the roads down there, I havent had the situtation yet.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I just wanted an explanation because I'm not so clueless about the situation, but rather wanted to hear what a B/O would say about the situation. I will say that drivers like you help to kill off lines though because if several drivers are doing this, which is the case on Staten Island, then the MTA can use this as an excuse to cut service, because if you're running that hot then chances are you're not picking up as many people, which shows up in the reports. Just remember this though... When your fellow co-workers are laid off because of these bus cuts, don't come crying to the transit riders for help, because it works both ways.

By the way, when you say, running early, I'm assuming that it is a bad thing on lines with 30 minute frequencies, correct? If the line is more frequent, people just show up randomly.

That's exactly my point checkmate... I find it odd that they're so strict about having buses show up on time in Manhattan when the waiting times are shorter, but yet on Staten Island they'll let a guy run hot (even when he's the last express bus of the morning) just to sit at a "major stop" for 5 minutes and pick up nobody while he just blew by several stops early missing people. Does that make any sense to you? And then drivers wonder why passengers are so pissed off. I still remember seeing TA workers on the news crying about how they were going to be laid off and some drivers on the X16 said they would be laid off too, but yet when they're running 10 - 15 minutes early they don't think about this stuff. It really amazes me. I'm also puzzled as to why the TA would cause problems with the drivers if they're late or on time? From my understanding, when I rode with my uncle back in the day on lines like the M101/M102/M103 lines, they'd write you up if were early, but NOT if you were on time or late because from their point of view, if you're early, you're missing passengers, whereas if you're late, you're more than likely picking up everyone unless the bus is filled to capacity.

Yupp. This is a exact quote that came over the radio "Attention all opts, AC Expressway is jamed and you are required to find your own way to the AC Bus Term and be on time". I got lucky that day and way on my way back to the garage.

They do stuff like that to us too. But the minute I use my judgement and use the Midtown tunnel via the RFK,BQE and LIE....they start crying about the amout of tolls.

Sometimes drivers pull into a stop and wait there a few minutes when they're running hot, other drivers sometimes take the bus into a REALLY slow crawl, barely going past first gear, it is somewhat annoying but these guys do have a schedule to keep.

This pisses me off. People have jobs, school, and other obligations yet B/O's play these stupid games. This even happens on Limited routes.

This pisses me off. People have jobs, school, and other obligations yet B/O's play these stupid games. This even happens on Limited routes.

Our jobs don't matter... They'd just tell us to come there even earlier. But I wonder what would happen is there were no passengers riding the buses and subways... How quickly we forget.

Case in point you need to give yourself ample time to get to your destination. You cannot just play by the schedule thinking everything's gonna be okay. I have two classes in Staten Island that begin at 8:00 in the morning two times week. If I were to travel based on the fact that my commute would always be a normal one and leave my house at 6:30 in the morning to get to my 8:00 class, I would probably be ten minutes late every day on average. That's why I leave my house at 6:00. The one time I hit a snag during my commute I got to class with five minutes to spare. Now imagine if that happened if I left my house at 6:30 and I ran into that circumstance; I would have been half an hour late.

Give yourself at least 10-15 minutes of ample time.

Archived