Bus drivers running early

Via Garibaldi 8

As a kid I used to ride with my uncle who is a MTA bus driver in the city and he told me that the MTA takes issue with buses coming early more so than buses running late because they leave behind passengers. I would like to know what is the MTA's official policy about drivers running early? The reason I ask this is because this is a big problem on Staten Island, be it the local or the express bus. I have witnessed buses arriving 10-15 minutes early on some lines and the drivers just fly down the street as if everything is normal. I have wrote in quite a few times complaining about the issue because with the service is so spread out between buses on Staten Island at times, thus meaning that adhering to the schedule is really important. When drivers take the liberty to arrive early, it makes trying to get anywhere in a decent amount of time extremely frustrating and I strongly believe that this also is a reason why many Staten Islanders are reluctant to take any transportation to get around. Each time I write about the issue to the MTA, I receive a response saying that the depot's dispatchers will be reminding drivers to try to adhere better to the schedule, which doesn't seem to happen.

What I've noticed with most bus drivers (not all) is that if they're early, they'll wait at a timepoint (major bus stop) and pull off when they're supposed to. Other times, they just speed through the line and get extra layover time at the terminal

Sometimes drivers pull into a stop and wait there a few minutes when they're running hot, other drivers sometimes take the bus into a REALLY slow crawl, barely going past first gear, it is somewhat annoying but these guys do have a schedule to keep.

I don't mind a late driver most of the time because usually they run fast and hard, if you ask me, they shouldn't space out the time between bus stops so much, as they're only 2-3 blocks apart (Times vary from 3-5 minutes between the stops if you've actually walked between them and looked at the schedules). Either remove some stops or shorten the time between stops, IMO.

What I don't understand is why they don't just adjust the schedules, if the bus ends up so early from running normally. It obviously then takes quicker to get from point to point than they allow on schedule. They must be using the same running times as rush hour, but it will obviously be quicker in off peak periods.

Buses are slow enough (compared to trains or cars), but when they stall by running slow, missing lights on purpose, etc. it is just too much. Surely makes one want to take a car instead.

Ok ok let this Bus Op kick some sense into y'all since the maker of this threads father is another bus op but his kid has alot of to

E on his hands calling the MtA because he can't get his ass to the bus stop early gsss dude what did you expect your dad works for us and he can't tell you to get to the stop early :P

I'm very sure you asked him and I'm 1000 percent sure he said we all have time points so check the schedules cuz maybe your off and before putting up a thread like this all knowing your fam works for us make sure you ask him first cuz by doing it this way your gonna come across somebody like me that hates peeps that have nothing else better to do then to call the F N MTa with BS

So do me a favor and ask daddy to find out

One more thing since you got mad time to kill

Call the MTA back and say how gracious you are to them for putting food on the table thanks to daddy and for having SI Bus Svc all together .

Your uncle

Honestly I understand your frustration, especially being on Staten Island where one bus can determine if your gonna be late or not. I hate when they crawl or stop at bus stops for minutes at a time, I understand you're running early but I'm gonna end up being late.

I hate late buses even more, I have to take 6-12 buses (yes 12) a day (twice a week I have a double commute) if one is late that throws my commute off, it's usually more than 1 late bus too. I don't go according to schedule since...well nothing's ever on schedule lol but when they take 20-30 extra minutes to come I know they're late. This happens to me at least twice a day. I was 40 minutes late the other day.

But what can you do?

I'm starting to envy subway riders, even though y'all get delays too but this I can't keep doing. A right of way plus faster service is better than dealing with 100% surface transit.

Ok ok let this Bus Op kick some sense into y'all since the maker of this threads father is another bus op but his kid has alot of to

E on his hands calling the MtA because he can't get his ass to the bus stop early gsss dude what did you expect your dad works for us and he can't tell you to get to the stop early :P

I'm very sure you asked him and I'm 1000 percent sure he said we all have time points so check the schedules cuz maybe your off and before putting up a thread like this all knowing your fam works for us make sure you ask him first cuz by doing it this way your gonna come across somebody like me that hates peeps that have nothing else better to do then to call the F N MTa with BS

So do me a favor and ask daddy to find out

One more thing since you got mad time to kill

Call the MTA back and say how gracious you are to them for putting food on the table thanks to daddy and for having SI Bus Svc all together .

Your uncle

You are clearly illiterate. I said my UNCLE works for the MTA not my father. As far as me complaining, if you don't like it then that's just too bad. I'm paying for a service and like any other service, if the service isn't good you have the right to complain, period and I will continue to do so when drivers arrive 10 - 15 minutes early. You are already at work and I am trying to get to work, so yeah why would you care what time you showed up since you're getting paid either way. Now my uncle on the other hand does his best to adhere to the schedule, will wait for those running for the bus and is very courteous to the passengers, which I'm sure you aren't. Typical bus driver that talks garbage because he has the union to hide behind. Give yourself a pat on the back.

You are clearly illiterate. I said my UNCLE works for the MTA not my father. As far as me complaining, if you don't like it then that's just too bad. I'm paying for a service and like any other service, if the service isn't good you have the right to complain, period and I will continue to do so when drivers arrive 10 - 15 minutes early. You are already at work and I am trying to get to work, so yeah why would you care what time you showed up since you're getting paid either way. Now my uncle on the other hand does his best to adhere to the schedule, will wait for those running for the bus and is very courteous to the passengers, which I'm sure you aren't. Typical bus driver that talks garbage because he has the union to hide behind. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Your Uncle your father O you dumb little got no girl bitch and moaner that has nothing else better to do look here , Your talking about Surface now say it with me Surfa fafafice yeah that means some of us are sent out by Dispatcher early for any reason but your uncle might of not told you that and as for the SVC your paying for well just like other bitchhh winerrs well I can see why you would be left out in the cold but lol that's another story right ?

Your stating that it's 10-15 minutes Early right? Then either you have the wrong TimeTable or your watch is broke one or the other but I can't seem to understand why I and your Uncle seem to stay on Sched. But SI can't .... O well plz keep us all informed of your travels because we really give a shit where your heading and don't let the smooth taste fool ya .... Personally I think your a ******* idiot for putting this up .... You can quote me Ok ... Now go get A girlfriend so you have something else better to do with your time .Peace son

You sound a lot like JohnQPine...just saying.

Your Uncle your father O you dumb little got no girl bitch and moaner that has nothing else better to do look here , Your talking about Surface now say it with me Surfa fafafice yeah that means some of us are sent out by Dispatcher early for any reason but your uncle might of not told you that and as for the SVC your paying for well just like other bitchhh winerrs well I can see why you would be left out in the cold but lol that's another story right ?

Your stating that it's 10-15 minutes Early right? Then either you have the wrong TimeTable or your watch is broke one or the other but I can't seem to understand why I and your Uncle seem to stay on Sched. But SI can't .... O well plz keep us all informed of your travels because we really give a shit where your heading and don't let the smooth taste fool ya .... Personally I think your a ******* idiot for putting this up .... You can quote me Ok ... Now go get A girlfriend so you have something else better to do with your time .Peace son

Excellent post KR and you are blessed.

What I've noticed with most bus drivers (not all) is that if they're early, they'll wait at a timepoint (major bus stop) and pull off when they're supposed to. Other times, they just speed through the line and get extra layover time at the terminal

Sometimes drivers pull into a stop and wait there a few minutes when they're running hot, other drivers sometimes take the bus into a REALLY slow crawl, barely going past first gear, it is somewhat annoying but these guys do have a schedule to keep.

Either remove some stops or shorten the time between stops, IMO.

What I don't understand is why they don't just adjust the schedules, if the bus ends up so early from running normally. It obviously then takes quicker to get from point to point than they allow on schedule. They must be using the same running times as rush hour, but it will obviously be quicker in off peak periods.

Buses are slow enough (compared to trains or cars), but when they stall by running slow, missing lights on purpose, etc. it is just too much. Surely makes one want to take a car instead.

Listen guys, it's easy to bitch moan and complain about the schedules but besides the fact that guys crawl as not to blow timepoints there is another valid reason why guys don't push too hard when they don't have to.

Road Ops (or in CT we call them Street Supervisors) are out there checking times. And they are not always in the most visible places. You may not believe it,but what they write down does get taken into account when the next pick/bid comes up. If a bus keeps showing up 5 minutes early at a timepoint they'll correct it and then the B/O will have to keep the hammer down the whole route leading to such bitching as "My B/O is reckless or The B/O is never on time or The B/O never waits when somebody is running for the bus"

Yes the schedules suck not only for the passengers but for the B/Os who have to deal with them every day. Imagine working 8-9 hrs and not having time to pee or get a quick bite to eat....that's the reality of alot of B/Os.

You defiantly have the right to complain if your bus shows up 10-15 mins early. However saying because "we are already at work, so we don't care" is going a little overboard.

I would say 95% of the MTA drivers do their best to keep a schedule. However it's NYC and nobody on here has to be told what a clusterf**k the city can be on any given day. IMO, Nobody should be running hot in SI, just based on the how crappy the headways are in certain places but I do understand the pressure of trying to make connections with the ferry or other buses might affect things.

As far as KR...maybe he got a little heated, but if you have family at the MTA then you know what they go through on a daily basis. Attacking his character on here is not gonna win you any brownie points and IMHO, he doesn't hide behind the TWU.

Like I said... ILLITERATE... What would you know about a "girl" when you don't even know the difference between "your" and "you're"? No, I don't have a "girl", I have a "woman". Maybe you could look that up in the dictionary if you knew what that was.

"Peace" douchebag.

Like I said... ILLITERATE... What would you know about a "girl" when you don't even know the difference between "your" and "you're"? No, I don't have a "girl", I have a "woman". Maybe you could look that up in the dictionary if you knew what that was.

"Peace" douchebag.

Your or is it you're or hmmm wait let me ask your woman if she would like A ride with A real Man that gets the job done .

BZ saved you little man cuz he points it out just right .../Thanks BZ

Now look sweetie I'm the wrong one to play with in here so get your woman and play with her and if you have A problem Son , I will gladly show her A Man ok ok stay frosty softy

Listen guys, it's easy to bitch moan and complain about the schedules but besides the fact that guys crawl as not to blow timepoints there is another valid reason why guys don't push too hard when they don't have to.

Road Ops (or in CT we call them Street Supervisors) are out there checking times. And they are not always in the most visible places. You may not believe it,but what they write down does get taken into account when the next pick/bid comes up. If a bus keeps showing up 5 minutes early at a timepoint they'll correct it and then the B/O will have to keep the hammer down the whole route leading to such bitching as "My B/O is reckless or The B/O is never on time or The B/O never waits when somebody is running for the bus"

Yes the schedules suck not only for the passengers but for the B/Os who have to deal with them every day. Imagine working 8-9 hrs and not having time to pee or get a quick bite to eat....that's the reality of alot of B/Os.

You defiantly have the right to complain if your bus shows up 10-15 mins early. However saying because "we are already at work, so we don't care" is going a little overboard.

I would say 95% of the MTA drivers do their best to keep a schedule. However it's NYC and nobody on here has to be told what a clusterf**k the city can be on any given day. IMO, Nobody should be running hot in SI, just based on the how crappy the headways are in certain places but I do understand the pressure of trying to make connections with the ferry or other buses might affect things.

As far as KR...maybe he got a little heated, but if you have family at the MTA then you know what they go through on a daily basis. Attacking his character on here is not gonna win you any brownie points and IMHO, he doesn't hide behind the TWU.

Listen, he went down the imbecile path, not me. I asked a legitimate question on here and he comes on here with his arrogant, holier-than-thou attitude as if I'm in the wrong for questioning why drivers run early. I arrive early, but those who don't arrive that early are stuck waiting another 30 minutes or more because usually what happens is when one guy comes early on the express lines, the next guy gets clobbered with all of those people that missed the early bus, making him late, so the wait turns into more like 45 minutes. Like you said, the headways on Staten Island are crappy, so that's why I was wondering why they would be running that early.

Your or is it you're or hmmm wait let me ask your woman if she would like A ride with A real Man that gets the job done .

BZ saved you little man cuz he points it out just right .../Thanks BZ

Now look sweetie I'm the wrong one to play with in here so get your woman and play with her and if you have A problem Son , I will gladly show her A Man ok ok stay frosty softy

For a while I was trying to take you seriously "son", but clearly that is impossible... LOL Let's just leave it here because clearly you're lacking in something if you need to constantly show how much testosterone you have.

Listen, he went down the imbecile path, not me. I asked a legitimate question on here and he comes on here with his arrogant, holier-than-thou attitude as if I'm in the wrong for questioning why drivers run early. I arrive early, but those who don't arrive that early are stuck waiting another 30 minutes or more because usually what happens is when one guy comes early on the express lines, the next guy gets clobbered with all of those people that missed the early bus, making him late, so the wait turns into more like 45 minutes. Like you said, the headways on Staten Island are crappy, so that's why I was wondering why they would be running that early.

I think you should move to Queens;)

I would wood wouldn't hmmmm lol I would love to pick you up Sunshine , It would be my pleasure lol I'll even put on my Burger King Crown on so when you step on the bus

You must shhh musty mustard Is that how you spell it lol ..... You must Bow to the King now Bow down to the King doo do da dooo on your knees Johm Q Imposter muhahaha

For a while I was trying to take you seriously "son", but clearly that is impossible... LOL Let's just leave it here because clearly you're lacking in something if you need to constantly show how much testosterone you have.

I have kids so yeah lol my balls are working but I'm glad we are Cool hey you could request me as A buddy lol so everyone in the community sees your ON THE WINNING team

Let me know and I'll discuss it with my Democrats which are well you know them

Bill Clinton and Elliot Spitzer O wait let's not bring in politics lol we might have A PHillYBuSTER lol Hang it up Flatscreen

Yo Nicky plasma .... I'll see ya later G

I have A mission .... They call me Manning ELI Manning gggg ELIiiiii ( Echo)

I think you should move to Queens;)

I would wood wouldn't hmmmm lol I would love to pick you up Sunshine , It would be my pleasure lol I'll even put on my Burger King Crown on so when you step on the bus

You must shhh musty mustard Is that how you spell it lol ..... You must Bow to the King now Bow down to the King doo do da dooo on your knees Johm Q Imposter muhahaha

Who in the hell is Johm Q??? I'm not that pathetic that I need to impose on some other dude.

Who in the hell is Johm Q??? I'm not that pathetic that I need to impose on some other dude.

Relax sunshine how come I don't see your buddy request you trying to make me feel funny in the pants lol Relax dude John was a

Pacifist that didn't play with me so I had to force him out because he wanted to play the game but what he didn't realize was how many peeps shared my thoughts but check for yourself go to search and look up thong wearing fatty hmmm it's under the walls of Jericho ....... See it see it well search ok because we are Transit focused Member Driven and that's the bottom line .... BCause the CODEBreAKER said so ps do you wanna know how I got these scars ????:P

As for buses being on time. Its a hard duty, and its damn sure not a easy task. And then when your late people still complain, so its a lose lose situation. Im usually 5-10 ahead of sch to give my self extra room because my last run is a killer rush hour run usually average 90ppl on and off.

Relax sunshine how come I don't see your buddy request you trying to make me feel funny in the pants lol Relax dude John was a

Pacifist that didn't play with me so I had to force him out because he wanted to play the game but what he didn't realize was how many peeps shared my thoughts but check for yourself go to search and look up thong wearing fatty hmmm it's under the walls of Jericho ....... See it see it well search ok because we are Transit focused Member Driven and that's the bottom line .... BCause the CODEBreAKER said so ps do you wanna know how I got these scars ????:P

I'm still learning how to use this thing... Where do I go to do such a thing?

I'm not complaining about service. I'm actually glad I have adequate service in my area since there's places with little or no service

Why dont you find out the headways and get the run # and see if someone is running 10-15 hot.

Id like to hear your response to that

Archived