Staten Island +SBS+ Open House Thursday 12/2/10.

Santa Fe via Willow

I found out about this from the article by reporter Maura Yates in the bottom left corner of page A7 in today`s Advance. Today being Wed 12/1.

The (MTA) & NYCDOT are holding an Open House on Thursday 12/2/10 from 6:30pm to 8:30pm in the Regency Room of The Renaissance in Grant City.

There will be no formal presentation. Folks are free to drop by anytime during the Open House to see display boards & ask questions & share their thoughts.

Project info at http://www.nyc.gov/brt.

Renaissance is on Hylan yes? So folks can walk, bike, drive, taxi or take the SIR {& walk} to get there. Or take the (S51)/((S81)), (S78) or (S79). Or, from Manhattan, the x1 or other Hylan X-buses that serve Grant City.

I trust they'll have flyers & pamphlets about it for folks to bring home.

I remember seeing a flyer on the bus describing that meeting.

According to Google Maps, the Renaissance is at 2131 Hylan Blvd, near Midland Avenue, so it is easy to access by public transportation.

Unfortuntely, I don't think I can make it there. I'll see if I can send in my comments via email, though.

There's a lot of uproar about +SBS hitting the S79 but it looks like it may go through whether Hylan Boulevard shoppers and residents like it or not. The same upheaval is happening with +SBS on the B44 but I think they're gonna go through with it.

SBS is going to the S79? Where is Yukon going to house those artics?

If the +SBS were to ever hit the S79 it would be out of Charleston.

There is no SI route that comes close to having the ridership for SBS. They should put SBS on the Q44 or Q46.

I keep on saying that the S79 should just become a limited during rush hours and evenings (up until the mall's closing, and MAYBE on weekends). I'm not against the +SBS proposal it may not be necessary. I wish I could have made the meeting.

As part of the +SBS+ project, would assume S79 would receive:

-A dedicated bus lane

-Traffic signal priority

-Off-board fare payment

Hylan Blvd could use a bus lane during rush hours, and the signal priority system should be fairly easy to implement. As far as off-board fare payment, I think that there are other routes that could use it more.

As far as limited-stop service, the S79 has 8 minute headways during rush hours, so that means that there could be a limited-stop version running in tandem with the local. I'm not sure if it would do more harm than good to run all buses limited-stop at all times, because I'm not sure how the passenger distribution is. (It would probably help it run more frequently, though, as the running time could be reduced from 75 minutes to about 60 minutes, so buses could theoretically run 25% more frequently than they do now)

As part of the +SBS+ project, would assume S79 would receive:

-A dedicated bus lane

-Traffic signal priority

-Off-board fare payment

Hylan Blvd could use a bus lane during rush hours, and the signal priority system should be fairly easy to implement. As far as off-board fare payment, I think that there are other routes that could use it more.

As far as limited-stop service, the S79 has 8 minute headways during rush hours, so that means that there could be a limited-stop version running in tandem with the local. I'm not sure if it would do more harm than good to run all buses limited-stop at all times, because I'm not sure how the passenger distribution is. (It would probably help it run more frequently, though, as the running time could be reduced from 75 minutes to about 60 minutes, so buses could theoretically run 25% more frequently than they do now)

I'd say to axe the S79 local during rush hours and riders who want a Hylan Boulevard local stop should just transfer to the S78 somewhere along Hylan Boulevard as between Richmond Avenue and Steuben Street is where the limited-stop zone should be.

This is just what I think, and not really.

I think S79 +Select Bus Service+ route should be designated as S99 +Select Bus Service+. The reason why that is what I think is because Staten Island routes have different route designation for Limited buses, right? It should be the same way for +Select Bus Service+ for Staten Island.

But of course, it is up to MTA for choosing the designation for this route.

This is just what I think, and not really.

I think S79 +Select Bus Service+ route should be designated as S99 +Select Bus Service+. The reason why that is what I think is because Staten Island routes have different route designation for Limited buses, right? It should be the same way for +Select Bus Service+ for Staten Island.

But of course, it is up to MTA for choosing the designation for this route.

IMO, that should be removed. It should be S76 and S76 LTD, S40 and S40 LTD, etc.

By the way, why do the numbers start from S40? I know they renumbered the bus system based on where the lines went, but couldn't they start from S1 the way the other boroughs do (M1, Q1, Bx1, and B1)?

Back in the day, SI routes were numbered 1-9 and 100-117. It was until 1992 that they are numbered the way they are now

That was wat I talked about-they renumbered the rutes based on where they went. I have a 1993 bus map that shows how the routes were renumbered (the only limited-stop routes were the S91 and S92).

My question was: Why didn't they make the system like this?:

S1-S10: North Shore

S11-S20: Cross-Island

S21-S30: Victory Blvd

S31-S40: South Shore

S41-S60: Limited-stop routes (unless they decided to give the limited-stop version of the route the same number as the local version)

I couldn't attend because it gets dark too early and I heard Staten Island Railway has no protection b/c of free station.

The location of the hearing is near the S78 and S51/S81 buses from St. George, the S79 from Bay Ridge, and the X1-X9 express buses from Manhattan, so you could've taken a bus to get there if you were uncomfortable with the SIR.

Archived