Top Gear Proves why NYC loves the subway

Kamen Rider

point of the title= Manhattan's streets are a confusing, crowded mess. took them three times as long to drive.

If south of 14th I would agree, but if they think Manhattan is bad, good luck in Queens where the streets ends in one place and begins a new 'grid' in another. Shame how it was all farmland and could've been given the grid treatment like Manhattan....

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, I just saw the episode where they come to Manhattan tonight, and thought it was pretty good... although I was expecting more smarmy commentary from Clarkson, as is his style when he comes to the states. In the years I've been watching Top Gear, I'd always wondered... "what would it be like if they came to my part of the country and not the deep south or a salt flat. Well, it was certainly enjoyable, but a little sterile for what NYC is. Also, not nearly enough honking. The "Three Wise Men" episode was epic. I loved it.

I know Top Gear US can't hold a candle to the original right now, but I think loyal TG viewers across the board are giving it a lashing it doesn't deserve. First off, I thought the very first episode was crap. Overly scripted, and nobody seemed to be that into it - but then as the season progressed things slowly began to get better. I'd suggest those who shrugged it off at first (like I also did) give the other episodes another chance, because it is pretty entertaining. I thought the bootlegging episode with the Caddy was great, and I also enjoyed seeing a good ol' Buick Roadmaster. The possibilities are there for it to become much better... but here are some criticisms from me...

Adam seems like he's being tied up. When I think of what makes Top Gear UK brilliant (as the Brits would say), it's the fact that Clarkson pretty much says and does what he wants, critics or the easily offended be damned. If you've caught anything he's done before this format of Top Gear (which started in 2002 I believe) he's always had that style. James May also has a distinct style and was a presenter on the previous format of TG pre-2002. Those who have seen the first 2002 season notice that May is not part of the group yet, and it's indeed missing something. Dawe didn't really belong, and was much more at home in Used Car Roadshow.

I guess the same could be said for Tanner and Rutledge. The show needs to be just as entertaining when they're not behind the wheel as when they are. We'll see... I certainly hope there's a second season anyway.

If south of 14th I would agree, but if they think Manhattan is bad, good luck in Queens where the streets ends in one place and begins a new 'grid' in another. Shame how it was all farmland and could've been given the grid treatment like Manhattan....

Queens has a more suburban layout in the eastern half of the county. However I think with knowing the street name and the neighborhood its in, it shouldnt be too difficult to find your way, if anything look it up on a map before you go, or even worse become one of those brainless drivers using a GPS system

Ah, I just saw the episode where they come to Manhattan tonight, and thought it was pretty good... although I was expecting more smarmy commentary from Clarkson, as is his style when he comes to the states. In the years I've been watching Top Gear, I'd always wondered... "what would it be like if they came to my part of the country and not the deep south or a salt flat. Well, it was certainly enjoyable, but a little sterile for what NYC is. Also, not nearly enough honking. The "Three Wise Men" episode was epic. I loved it.

I know Top Gear US can't hold a candle to the original right now, but I think loyal TG viewers across the board are giving it a lashing it doesn't deserve. First off, I thought the very first episode was crap. Overly scripted, and nobody seemed to be that into it - but then as the season progressed things slowly began to get better. I'd suggest those who shrugged it off at first (like I also did) give the other episodes another chance, because it is pretty entertaining. I thought the bootlegging episode with the Caddy was great, and I also enjoyed seeing a good ol' Buick Roadmaster. The possibilities are there for it to become much better... but here are some criticisms from me...

Adam seems like he's being tied up. When I think of what makes Top Gear UK brilliant (as the Brits would say), it's the fact that Clarkson pretty much says and does what he wants, critics or the easily offended be damned. If you've caught anything he's done before this format of Top Gear (which started in 2002 I believe) he's always had that style. James May also has a distinct style and was a presenter on the previous format of TG pre-2002. Those who have seen the first 2002 season notice that May is not part of the group yet, and it's indeed missing something. Dawe didn't really belong, and was much more at home in Used Car Roadshow.

I guess the same could be said for Tanner and Rutledge. The show needs to be just as entertaining when they're not behind the wheel as when they are. We'll see... I certainly hope there's a second season anyway.

I agree with you. I've seen all 9 eps so far and it got better since ep1 [after I got over the fact it was ppl other than the British trio]. So, if you watch it for passing the time, it isn't that bad. And I do kinda hope there is a season 2cuz I am sick of seeing crap like swampmen and axmen.

I did love that series Life after people. I wonder if there will be a season3? They probably used up all the best material already....

Queens has a more suburban layout in the eastern half of the county. However I think with knowing the street name and the neighborhood its in, it shouldnt be too difficult to find your way, if anything look it up on a map before you go, or even worse become one of those brainless drivers using a GPS system

Probably, but I still think it is somewhat confusing when you get off the major roads and things starts to spiral around and end etc. I like gridlines. Brooklyn, I hate as there are 2 major gridlines split due to McDonald Av and Flatbush Av. If I was around back in the 1800s [or however long ago] everything would've been based on Manhattan's gridline :evil chuckle:

the problem is they want it to be Clarkson, Hammond and May with american accents right off the bat.

It's really all about taste. Out of the US TG3, I admit I like Adam best because I get his sense of humor, since it's what I'm used to; dry and somewhat sarcastic.

I totally agree!

Archived