Take a Flash back with videos of the Redbirds/R110s when they WERE in Service and Extras!

mark1447

For those cars that are about to be scrapped it was fun while it lasted. Is it only cars from Concourse or are there more from other yards that are getting scrapped?

If you mean the redbirds, those are already out of concourse yard

Oh they are? Nevermind

Yeah, the last time i saw them was in Nov, after i went 2 weeks after in late Nov they were gone. ;) All i see now is a Yellow R12/15.

They do have other fleets sitting there besides the R12/15 including (R17 or 21/22), R40S/M

Will you kids quit bickering about "who found it first?" No one really cares, it's not some contest where you win a prize if you find something.

To the other posters:

Subway cars cost less when you order more of them.

The R110 program was done to test features that would be considered for the NTT's (the actual production NTT features did many of the same things but operated quite differently in practice, but that's for another time).

Remember that this NTT program was the first time the TA went modern in its railcar design since the R44/R46 orders, and it's pretty obvious how that went. They wanted to try out what they would order before they ordered the rest of them.

And to note.Bombardier and Kawasaki came out of their own pockets for the R110A-B trains.

I heard word that both the R17 and R21 cars maybe saved or are already saved. They still have R12s and R15s as work cars? Thought they got rid of most of them a couple years ago.

I dont think they have R12/15 for work. I see R32/33WF/127/134 and some R62As being used for work.

I heard word that both the R17 and R21 cars maybe saved or are already saved. They still have R12s and R15s as work cars? Thought they got rid of most of them a couple years ago.

The R17 and R21 in concourse are not definitively set aside for preservation. They're just "still there"

WOW!!!!! This takes me way back to my teenage years. I rode the "new technology trains" around 1994 and 1995 and I really enjoyed them. I wish they were the trains we would be riding on now and not what's here now, even though I like them. And seeing the Redbirds just makes me super nostalgic! I miss those trains, I really do. Thanks for sharing these clips with us!

I'd assume they are
. I counted 14 of them (all R33s, both ML and WF), plus 8 CWR cars. If you add the R17 and R21, that makes 24 cars. Some of the Main Line R33s have their sash windows stripped. One pair is 9000-01 (which sadly if scrapped would be a loss, being a wreck survivor-fire at Borough Hall in 1984).

9001/01 should have been scrapped back then, that pair has been in bad shape since then, I have a gut feeling that R32's would replace those Redbirds once they retire in 5 years, Im starting to see that due to the fact half their fleet of R32's are still doing some work service and more in the possible future.

There on the scrap list though.

Yup that's true, but then so are a lot of things. Time will tell what (if anything) survives since as you and I both know not all of those things always get scrapped.

But in the case of those two cars, it's unlikely to say the least.

*Disclaimer: SubwayGuy always speaks noncommitally when describing the future since this is TA, anything can change

I know. I've seen all of those cars.

a freind of mine told me that when he went in the cars (TA employee) they had plants growing inside the damn things, but I know they are not being saved, I hope they get the standards to run soon, I would love to see them run.

All of the R33s that were out-of-service at Concourse were assigned to 36 Street or Coney Island and were used mainly on the BMT. This seems to imply that the R33s would be phased out of B division work service and perhaps R32s used instead. No R33s assigned to IRT work/MoW have been removed yet.

They are: ML 8812-13, 8834-35, 8996-97, 9000-01, WF 9330, 9331, 9335, 9336, 9340, 9344.

Yup that's true, but then so are a lot of things. Time will tell what (if anything) survives since as you and I both know not all of those things always get scrapped.

But in the case of those two cars, it's unlikely to say the least.

*Disclaimer: SubwayGuy always speaks noncommitally when describing the future since this is TA, anything can change

If a certain someone gets his way, one car wont be worth saving after it's been picked over.

Will you kids quit bickering about "who found it first?" No one really cares, it's not some contest where you win a prize if you find something.

To the other posters:

Subway cars cost less when you order more of them.

The R110 program was done to test features that would be considered for the NTT's (the actual production NTT features did many of the same things but operated quite differently in practice, but that's for another time).

Remember that this NTT program was the first time the TA went modern in its railcar design since the R44/R46 orders, and it's pretty obvious how that went. They wanted to try out what they would order before they ordered the rest of them.

You're presenting a meaningful, rational post with facts so the discussion will primarily stay on propulsion sounds and videos. Expecting a portion of people here to actually read on history, research and presenting facts is asking for too much, lol.

On the R110 videos, nice find.

I find it to be a waste though that the (MTA) spend millions of dollars investing, and designing the R110's just for experimenting. Maybe they should have had built it at first to be an new technology tester, but later on run it as a regular subway train for the next 40 years. The R11's were built to be experimental, but it had a long lasting design, and the R11 ran for decades after it's experiments.

The trains were similar so those prototypes were useful. And those test cars were necessary so we don't have any major problems again such as the Rockwell incident. I read somewhere that the T/A didn't have enough time to test some of the R46s which is why a mass failure occurred.

i remember it like it was yesterday......... back in like 94, or 95. at Allerton Av. station with my mom when she picked me up from school. it was a friday and we was headed to my g'ma's house in Brooklyn. i was waiting for the (2) lookin' from off the platform, and i could've sworn that i saw a redbird arriving. next thing i know i see this big silver train, with a (2) on the front of it. the propulsion sounding so sweet, and once i got inside, i was in awe. different color seats, automated announcements, and the fact that the R110a was huge inside. i thought it was so cool riding it from the Bronx to Brooklyn. and ever since that day, i've had the propulsion on my mind for all these years (still remember it, god i love that train). and what's funny was when i was headed back up to the Bronx, when i'm at Nevins St, the R110a was back. just sitting there waitin' for me to get back on it, but instead my mom wanted to take the <5> back. i saw it on the <5> once, but i just remember it on the (2). even remember the model in the transit museum. i even wrote a letter to the MTA wondering if i could have that model prototype R110a. they should've made more for the (2). now, they should just make more of em, keep em on the (2), make em look even better, keep the propulsion, and move the R142's to the (7) train. just a thought lol

I MISS THE R110a's!!!!!!!!!!!!

<6>

Nope what I meant was those cars should have had been built to last 40 years after their experiments so they could continue to run on as a subway car. The R11 was an experiment, but because St Louis built it so it could run as a subway car for 40 or more years the R11's ran from the 1950's to the 1980's. They should have had done the same thing to both the R110A, and R110B.

You're presenting a meaningful, rational post with facts so the discussion will primarily stay on propulsion sounds and videos. Expecting a portion of people here to actually read on history, research and presenting facts is asking for too much, lol.

On the R110 videos, nice find.

Believe me, of what you write I am all too well aware. It is sad that most of the people who claim to be interested in something are not willing to expend the least bit of effort to learn anything about it.

Archived