Take a Flash back with videos of the Redbirds/R110s when they WERE in Service and Extras!

mark1447

I know that the chance of the R110A returning to service is extremely slim, and I do find it extremely disappointing. Hopefully some future rail car building company that would build a future subway car for the (MTA) would look back, and rebuild similar looking cars. I have faith that Westinghouse would try to build the R68's replacement, and it would look something like the R110B.

The R110s are NEVER seeing service again, ever. And probably the R68s replacement is gonna be either a Kawasaki, Alstom, or Bombardier made car...unless someone else steps into the picture when that time comes

I know that the chance of the R110A returning to service is extremely slim, and I do find it extremely disappointing. Hopefully some future rail car building company that would build a future subway car for the (MTA) would look back, and rebuild similar looking cars. I have faith that Westinghouse would try to build the R68's replacement, and it would look something like the R110B.

That would be impossible with only an A and a B car left. Like I said before, their going to get scrapped in the next round of scrapping along with all the redbirds up at Concourse, SIR #402, and several other cars. I think their only saving an A and a B car from the R110As and an A car from the R110Bs because the only other prototype train ever saved was the lone R11.

i think that the R110's should have been kept and have ordered more. It seemed more nice including the announcements they were clearer and the trains looked more sturdy and well built

in a nutshell we did more more R110s...they're called the R142, R142A, R143 and R160.

Yes, but as we know these trains were all built to be just experiments. They weren't built to last long. They were built to test only new technology for the new technology trains we have now. For example the R110A was used to create the R142, R142A, and R188 while the R110B was used to create the R143, R160A, R160B, R179, and the R211.

I find it to be a waste though that the (MTA) spend millions of dollars investing, and designing the R110's just for experimenting. Maybe they should have had built it at first to be an new technology tester, but later on run it as a regular subway train for the next 40 years. The R11's were built to be experimental, but it had a long lasting design, and the R11 ran for decades after it's experiments.

If anyone wants to know the picture below from the Kawasaki website shows the R110A with the (2) on it.

6.gif

Oh yeah from NYC Subway.org the R110A, and R110B might have been one of the most expensive subway cars in history.

The R110A costs $2,209,000 dollars per car, and the R110B costs $2,169,000 dollars per car.

Here are the sheets themselves:

R110A:

datasheet-r110a.jpg

R110B:

datasheet-r110b.jpg

That would be impossible with only an A and a B car left. Like I said before, their going to get scrapped in the next round of scrapping along with all the redbirds up at Concourse, SIR #402, and several other cars. I think their only saving an A and a B car from the R110As and an A car from the R110Bs because the only other prototype train ever saved was the lone R11.

Actually that Redbird set at concourse is gone for about 3 weeks now.

For the SIRTOA, they are starting retirement or what?

was just about to post this...u stole my idea.

Though that R130 sounds like a DC Metro TTC T1. Its just plain awesome.

lol yeah right i actually saw that video before u and a few others saw it, so i dont think so.. Especially since im subscribed. And there aint no stole idea here so chill out . How do you know i stole it? smfh.. Plus i never knew u were out of NYC SUBWAY..

BTW i messaged you on YT and u ignore it, but can rather post here..

Actually that Redbird set at concourse is gone for about 3 weeks now.

For the SIRTOA, they are starting retirement or what?

There are about 27 or so redbirds that are or were up there that are going to get scrapped. Also I only said that SIR 402 was getting scrapped, that's the one that was wrecked at Tottinville.

my favie, the R110a.......... i miss those days. i remember it being on the (2) and yeah, they did run on the <5> for a little bit. but they mostly stayed on the (2). i called them the "silver (2)" because back then when i was 4 or 5, they were the only set of (2) trains i saw that was silver, and not a redbird. i wish they made more sets of the R110a, even though years later i found out they were test trains. i still wish i knew who made the model of em that i happened to see at the transit museum, i would've loved to have that. the propulsion was sweet (i love the R142a's and the Siemens R160's now), and even until this day i remembered what they sounded like. i'm glad someone found that video............... back when my childhood was the best!

<6>

Thanks Mark1447 for posting those vids up! It's been so long since I've seen the R110As run I forgot how the propulsion sounded like....I've never had the chance of taking a ride on these, unfortunately.

There are about 27 or so redbirds that are or were up there that are going to get scrapped. Also I only said that SIR 402 was getting scrapped, that's the one that was wrecked at Tottinville.

Does this include the Continuous Welded Rail Handler Cars currently at CCY?

Edit: How about the R17 and R21 work motors there as well? Those have been there for quite a while...they've had their rollsigns and all of their sash windows popped out well over a year ago.

lol yeah right i actually saw that video before u and a few others saw it, so i dont think so.. Especially since im subscribed. And there aint no stole idea here so chill out . How do you know i stole it? smfh.. Plus i never knew u were out of NYC SUBWAY..

BTW i messaged you on YT and u ignore it, but can rather post here..

-Well sorry for that honestly I was about to post it and I got dissapointed when I saw u went ahead of me and got the popularity.

I do know some stuff from out of NYC subway, starting to learn from others, and Im trying to get vinny to know about the RR's but he doesn't want to listen.

Ill msg back, as long as its something NOT negative.:tup:

-Well sorry for that honestly I was about to post it and I got dissapointed when I saw u went ahead of me and got the popularity.

I do know some stuff from out of NYC subway, starting to learn from others, and Im trying to get vinny to know about the RR's but he doesn't want to listen.

Ill msg back, as long as its something NOT negative.:tup:

Again, i did not went ahead of you or anything, you don't even know if I was gonna post it or not.. Besides why does it matter so much to you, its not competition..

Ah dont worry about teaching RR, it wont happen, to SOME. But u need to be taught!

and cutting down on a little "hexing" if u know what I mean =_=

Yes, but as we know these trains were all built to be just experiments. They weren't built to last long. They were built to test only new technology for the new technology trains we have now. For example the R110A was used to create the R142, R142A, and R188 while the R110B was used to create the R143, R160A, R160B, R179, and the R211.

I find it to be a waste though that the (MTA) spend millions of dollars investing, and designing the R110's just for experimenting. Maybe they should have had built it at first to be an new technology tester, but later on run it as a regular subway train for the next 40 years. The R11's were built to be experimental, but it had a long lasting design, and the R11 ran for decades after it's experiments.

If anyone wants to know the picture below from the Kawasaki website shows the R110A with the (2) on it.

6.gif

Oh yeah from NYC Subway.org the R110A, and R110B might have been one of the most expensive subway cars in history.

The R110A costs $2,209,000 dollars per car, and the R110B costs $2,169,000 dollars per car.

idk if the R110 could be retired too soon, wouldn't the t/a get in trouble since its not over 40yrs?

Like I said before, their going to get scrapped in the next round of scrapping along with all the redbirds up at Concourse, SIR R44 #402and several other cars. There are about 27 or so redbirds that are or were up there that are going to get scrapped. Also I only said that SIR 402 was getting scrapped, that's the one that was wrecked at Tottinville.

Does this include the Continuous Welded Rail Handler Cars currently at CCY?

Edit: How about the R17 and R21 motors there as well? Those have been there for quite a while...they've had their rollsigns and all of their sash windows popped out well over a year ago.

I'd assume they are

. I counted 14 of them (all R33s, both ML and WF), plus 8 CWR cars. If you add the R17 and R21, that makes 24 cars. Some of the Main Line R33s have their sash windows stripped. One pair is 9000-01 (which sadly if scrapped would be a loss, being a wreck survivor-fire at Borough Hall in 1984).

6.gif

Here are the sheets themselves:

R110A:

datasheet-r110a.jpg

R110B:

datasheet-r110b.jpg

NYCTA at the time didnt pay for these test train.And as far as price.Thats a price based from 1990 when the order was put in for both trains.So with inflation and the technology being tested at the time would make them expensive for its time.Now with the R142s,R143 and R160 costing around $1.4 million a piece makes them a bargin due to lowball bidding,financing and lower technology cost.:tup:

Will you kids quit bickering about "who found it first?" No one really cares, it's not some contest where you win a prize if you find something.

To the other posters:

Subway cars cost less when you order more of them.

The R110 program was done to test features that would be considered for the NTT's (the actual production NTT features did many of the same things but operated quite differently in practice, but that's for another time).

Remember that this NTT program was the first time the TA went modern in its railcar design since the R44/R46 orders, and it's pretty obvious how that went. They wanted to try out what they would order before they ordered the rest of them.

Will you kids quit bickering about "who found it first?" No one really cares, it's not some contest where you win a prize if you find something.

Your talking to 4P3 becuz i did not start with this and hes the one complaining over being first.. But going back to topic..

Was the R110 programming computer generated or personality?

Archived