NBA, NHL and other sports thread-Winter/Spring 2011

Shortline Bus

I think barring a collapse the Canucks will be NHL Regular Season Champs for 2011(President's Cup or w/e)it's called.

They also will be the favorites in Vegas to win it. The Canucks will have tons of presure across Canada in trying to become the first club based 'north of the border' in almost 20 years to win the Cup. The only other team in the West I can see going to the Cup is the Wings.

With that said this is not the 1980's Oilers teams of Gretzy, Messiser and Fuhr either. Since I been following the NHL, many times a hot goalie singlehandily beat a team that was a shoo-in to win it all.

Again,it's nice but honestly how many people remember the President Cup winners in the NHL. I remember in the mid/late '90's before they won a couple of Stanely Cups to end the decade, the Red Wings was the #1 seed (regular season winners for best record in league)and lost even before making the Finals.

Anyhow the Canucks will be the favorites to make the Finals from the East. While the Flyers and Bruins will be pre-playoff favorites to win the East.

Just like in the baseball playoffs can a "Hot" Pitcher can singlehandely led his team to an 'upset' over a better team on paper, upsets can occur. No offense Tokemon but the '94 Canucks on paper that lost to the Rangers in the Cup Finals even though I think they were a #5 or #6 seed in the NHL West playoffs that year, was a better team.

The current '11 Canucks don't have a superstar i.e Crosby on their team.

I agree w/Tokkemon... The Canucks certainly do have superstars in the Sedin twins. Many teams would kill to have those two on their team, not only because they're used to playing w/each other, but also because they're skilled players who can score but also defend well on the defensive end.

But like Tokkemon said, the big question is if they can win the cup. Luongo needs to prove that he can play under pressure. I think he's the main key. They have enough skill up front and grit, which I think they lacked previously. I think they also got knocked down a few notches last year when they lost. They lost a bit of their arrogance and understand that they need to work hard to win.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they also got knocked down a few notches last year when they lost. They lost a bit of their arrogance and understand that they need to work hard to win.

Excellent point. They got all puffed up last year (which I think, in part, was due to the Olympics too) and we got shattered in the second round. I think they're a more humble team now. Dunno about the fans though. ;)

Excellent point. They got all puffed up last year (which I think, in part, was due to the Olympics too) and we got shattered in the second round. I think they're a more humble team now. Dunno about the fans though. ;)

True. However across Canada the pressure will be insane especially if the Canucks make the semifinals(aka Conference Championships) and Cup Finals. FYI. The '93 Habs featuring Future HOF Goalie Patrick Roy was the last team from Canada to win the Stanley Cup.

They have the same type of burden of ending a semi curse of bringing home the cup back North of the Border as much as the 2004 Red Sox had to win the world series and their then unheard of being down 0-3 games in the ALCS Playoffs.

Oh that's right i will be screamed at by Super Yankee fans Forest Glen and Concourse for mentioning

that 'taboo' event. (joking)

CBC the main network station(unlike the US, Canada only has '2' main 'free' networks the CBC which is government owned and CTV) and home of Hockey in Canada will never let up on their HNIC and even national news coverage if the Canucks go to the NHL West or even Cup Finals.

The Heat were never on top to begin with. They beat only the bad teams. Sure those are the games that are suppose to be won, but you cant prove that your good against the bad teams because those teams dont play hard everynight. The Heat are 5-13 against the elite teams.

True. However across Canada the pressure will be insane especially if the Canucks make the semifinals(aka Conference Championships) and Cup Finals. FYI. The '93 Habs featuring Future HOF Goalie Patrick Roy was the last team from Canada to win the Stanley Cup.

They have the same type of burden of ending a semi curse of bringing home the cup back North of the Border as much as the 2004 Red Sox had to win the world series and their then unheard of being down 0-3 games in the ALCS Playoffs.

Oh that's right i will be screamed at by Super Yankee fans Forest Glen and Concourse for mentioning

that 'taboo' event. (joking)

CBC the main network station(unlike the US, Canada only has '2' main 'free' networks the CBC which is government owned and CTV) and home of Hockey in Canada will never let up on their HNIC and even national news coverage if the Canucks go to the NHL West or even Cup Finals.

The Habs didn't win a cup in the last decade for the first time in a while and the fans up in Montréal are certainly expecting something soon. I don't think they're there yet, but their fans certainly give them an edge.

My pick out of the West is either Vancouver or Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if San Jose showed up because they've been a let down the last few years, so perhaps there's less pressure. Out of the East I like the Flyers if they can stop over analyzing their play and if the Sabres can get in, they could be interesting if Miller can get his act together. That new owner up there plans to spend freely so they'll finally have some scoring power again, but they already could be scary with the addition of Boyes.

The Habs didn't win a cup in the last decade for the first time in a while and the fans up in Montréal are certainly expecting something soon. I don't think they're there yet, but their fans certainly give them an edge.

My pick out of the West is either Vancouver or Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if San Jose showed up because they've been a let down the last few years, so perhaps there's less pressure. Out of the East I like the Flyers if they can stop over analyzing their play and if the Sabres can get in, they could be interesting if Miller can get his act together. That new owner up there plans to spend freely so they'll finally have some scoring power again, but they already could be scary with the addition of Boyes.

The '2' sleeper picks in the NHL post season IMO could be either or both the Sabres (featuring Miller who playing his best since nearly leading the US to the Gold in last year's Olympics)and Sharks. The Sabres if Miller is hot can go deep in the NHL East playoffs.

Back to NBA. Was watching the Heat/Lakers game on TNT tonight and Reggie Miller/Marv Albert the game announcers stated that rumors in South Fla. state that if the Heat slumps continues into next week, Pat Riley may come from the executive office and take over.

The '2' sleeper picks in the NHL post season IMO could be either or both the Sabres (featuring Miller who playing his best since nearly leading the US to the Gold in last year's Olympics)and Sharks. The Sabres if Miller is hot can go deep in the NHL East playoffs.

You should've seen the Sabres/Bruins game tonite. Sabres won 4-3 in overtime and came back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits on the road in Boston. It was a great game and a couple of big fights. :cool:

They are really playing in sink w/a lot of confidence. To be honest Miller really didn't see that many shots because they were blocking a lot of them, so he may not need to be stellar for them to go far and force some upsets. They're now the 7th seed with 2 games in hand on the Rangers, and the Habs, the #6 seed lost to the Blues tonite...

You should've seen the Sabres/Bruins game tonite. Sabres won 4-3 in overtime and came back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits on the road in Boston. It was a great game and a couple of big fights. :cool:

They are really playing in sink w/a lot of confidence. To be honest Miller really didn't see that many shots because they were blocking a lot of them, so he may not need to be stellar for them to go far and force some upsets. They're now the 7th seed with 2 games in hand on the Rangers, and the Habs, the #6 seed lost to the Blues tonite...

If I am either the Bruins or Flyers I want to avoid playing the Sabres at all costs in the 1st round.

Sorry Garibaldi tonight spent most of night watching basketball i.e Heat/Lakers and College hoops along with a long phone chat w/ My Mom.

However that sound impressive what Buffalo has done from what you told me. I try to watch "Final Score" (i only watch sportscenter on occasion)to see the highlights of that Sabres win in Boston.

By way Miami beat LA tonight so the Pat Riley watch is off for tonight.

PS TV screwing East Coast Viewers again. I don't understand why TNT is showing the Knicks//Mavs game with a tip off at 930pm Eastern on a school/work night?

Dallas is in the Central time zone and many NY viewers can't stay up for a game that likely end close to Midnight. If Turner wanted to show '2' games tonight they could have put the Mavs/Knicks game on sister station TBS.

Bad job of scheduling by the NBA.:mad::tdown:

The Knicks fans are probably already in bed as Dallas leads in blowout 72-51 at START OF 2ND HALF.

If I am either the Bruins or Flyers I want to avoid playing the Sabres at all costs in the 1st round.

Sorry Garibaldi tonight spent most of night watching basketball i.e Heat/Lakers and College hoops along with a long phone chat w/ My Mom.

However that sound impressive what Buffalo has done from what you told me. I try to watch "Final Score" (i only watch sportscenter on occasion)to see the highlights of that Sabres win in Boston.

Versus has this show on weeknights at 23:00 called "Overtime" which goes over the hockey games in depth. It's not exactly all that great in my opinion, which is why I forgot about it until you mentioned "Final Score". :D

Versus has this show on weeknights at 23:00 called "Overtime" which goes over the hockey games in depth. It's not exactly all that great in my opinion, which is why I forgot about it until you mentioned "Final Score". :D

Oh really! So basically the versus "Overtime' is a full NHL 30-minute highlight/NHL News show like what ESPN used to have with "Hockey Tonight' when they used to have the NHL right?

I am a old school fan of '1' stop shopping of getting my 'national'(US)sports news/highlights with sportscenter. I admit my first love in sports is MLB, NFL and NBA but it's not fair Sportscenter rarely shows NHL highlights/news other than the Stanley Cup playoffs and 'fights' during the regular season.

Also started to watch Fox Sports Net's "Final Score'(shown locally in NYC on MSG or MSG2 since ESPN has gone overbored with NBA and College Football/Baskteball highlights in past couple of years.B)

Oh really! So basically the versus "Overtime' is a full NHL 30-minute highlight/NHL News show like what ESPN used to have with "Hockey Tonight' when they used to have the NHL right?

I am a old school fan of '1' stop shopping of getting my 'national'(US)sports news/highlights with sportscenter. I admit my first love in sports is MLB, NFL and NBA but it's not fair Sportscenter rarely shows NHL highlights/news other than the Stanley Cup playoffs and 'fights' during the regular season.

Also started to watch Fox Sports Net's "Final Score'(shown locally in NYC on MSG or MSG2 since ESPN has gone overbored with NBA and College Football/Baskteball highlights in past couple of years.B)

The thing is I watch most of the friggin' games throughout the night since I have the Center Ice package, so that's probably why I don't bother to watch the highlights. Plus I watch analysis and such at nhl.com... I try not to go overkill. lol

nope.

can't get into it...

don't even know who the most d*ckridden player in the NCAA's supposed to be, this year.

only thing I know about this year's season is that, the #1 team done changed hands mad times.....

I am not saying I follow it say like the pros i.e NFL NBA or NHL playoffs or the World Series. However you have to admit, the first weekend of the hoops tournment is 'unique.'

I much prefer college basketball than college football any day of the week.

It cool to see a smaller college from Middle America sometimes(it become more common in recent years)beat a power school like Duke, Kansas, UCONN, etc. You almost never see it in college football.

FYI. The NCAA Basketball Tournment is now shown also on Turner (TBS/TNT)besides CBS as well.

TNT/TBS covers the daytime games and a regional final game. While CBS covers the 'prime time' and the Final 4 games as well. I think starting next year (2012)TNT and CBS rotates covering the "Final 4' similar to how Fox, CBS and NBC 'rotate' covering the super bowl.

I am not saying I follow it say like the pros i.e NFL NBA or NHL playoffs or the World Series. However you have to admit, the first weekend of the hoops tournment is 'unique.'

I much prefer college basketball than college football any day of the week.

It cool to see a smaller college from Middle America sometimes(it become more common in recent years)beat a power school like Duke, Kansas, UCONN, etc. You almost never see it in college football.

FYI. The NCAA Basketball Tournment is now shown also on Turner (TBS/TNT)besides CBS as well.

TNT/TBS covers the daytime games and a regional final game. While CBS covers the 'prime time' and the Final 4 games as well. I think starting next year (2012)TNT and CBS rotates covering the "Final 4' similar to how Fox, CBS and NBC 'rotate' covering the super bowl.

I get what you're sayin, bro.... that was just my take on this year's NCAA-B season.... I don't know who anyone is... They do a good job advertising the mystique/allure/name of the school, instead of players.... this problem's been worsening in college basketball since the 90's....

In other words, when you hear "Duke" when it comes to men's basketball, you're supposed to automatically assume they're loaded with talent... even thought you seldom know who that talent (and how good he actually) is....

(with Duke players, they turn out to be absolute busts when they get to the NBA, but that's somethin else... lol)....

^^ that's an example....

but all in all, it's a direct reflection of not knowing who these guys are, come NBA draft time... unless that player is an exceptional talent (or liked by the media for w/e other reason)....

I get what you're sayin, bro.... that was just my take on this year's NCAA-B season.... I don't know who anyone is... They do a good job advertising the mystique/allure/name of the school, instead of players.... this problem's been worsening in college basketball since the 90's....

In other words, when you hear "Duke" when it comes to men's basketball, you're supposed to automatically assume they're loaded with talent... even thought you seldom know who that talent (and how good he actually) is....

(with Duke players, they turn out to be absolute busts when they get to the NBA, but that's somethin else... lol)....

^^ that's an example....

but all in all, it's a direct reflection of not knowing who these guys are, come NBA draft time... unless that player is an exceptional talent (or liked by the media for w/e other reason)....

What about Grant Hill? He been an all star and has had a very good NBA carrer. With that said, you make a good point B35 that for most

part with all the hype and NCAA Championships Duke has made in last 20 years or so, they would have produced more superstars for the NBA.

If anything North Carolina from Jordan to more recent, Ed Davis and Kentucky with #1 pick John Wall, has been maybe the best colleges in America that produces future NBA All star players.

What about Grant Hill? He been an all star and has had a very good NBA carrer. With that said, you make a good point B35 that for most

part with all the hype and NCAA Championships Duke has made in last 20 years or so, they would have produced more superstars for the NBA.

If anything North Carolina from Jordan to more recent, Ed Davis and Kentucky with #1 pick John Wall, has been maybe the best colleges in America that produces future NBA All star players.

True... but for every Grant hill, you have:

- Bobby Hurley... average NBA player on a shitty team, at best... he was on that kings team w/ chris webber, vlade divac, etc...

- Christian Laettner... never lived up to the hype when he came to the NBA, either... your typical NBA PF back in the 90's... nothin special about him when he turned pro....

- Jay Williams... f***ed up his career by gettin into a motorcycle accident... now analyzes NCAA basketball games on channel 2....

- JJ Redick... rides bench on the Magic, or wherever he is now... a poor man's Kyle Korver (of all people to be compared to)...

- Chris Duhon... an absolute bust

- Corey Magette... he's probably had the best NBA career so far, out of all these I've mentioned... and he had the least amount of hype coming out of college, out of all these players I mentioned, also.... how fitting right... lol...

that's all off the top of my head....

So Bro(B35)or any other NBA fan like Forest Glen and 553 off topic but related. Is Grant Hill a NBA Hall Of Famer?For his days at Duke, no doubt he is a 1st ballot College HOF IMO. Lattner will also make the college hoops HOF. My take

on Hill is that very close but just short. However since he been a favorite with the media and having a long good carrer, I think Hill will get in. reactions?:confused:

True... but for every Grant hill, you have:

- Bobby Hurley... average NBA player on a shitty team, at best... he was on that kings team w/ chris webber, vlade divac, etc...

- Christian Laettner... never lived up to the hype when he came to the NBA, either... your typical NBA PF back in the 90's... nothin special about him when he turned pro....

- Jay Williams... f***ed up his career by gettin into a motorcycle accident... now analyzes NCAA basketball games on channel 2....

- JJ Redick... rides bench on the Magic, or wherever he is now... a poor man's Kyle Korver (of all people to be compared to)...

- Chris Duhon... an absolute bust

- Corey Magette... he's probably had the best NBA career so far, out of all these I've mentioned... and he had the least amount of hype coming out of college, out of all these players I mentioned, also.... how fitting right... lol...

that's all off the top of my head....

Well the NCAA Tournment is being announced. My old school LIU-Brooklyn is playing North Carolina in the 1st round. #1 overall seed in tourment is Ohio State.

Meanwhile the other NYC college St John's makes the post season for 1st time since 2002 playing vs mid major Tournment regular Gonzanza.

Archived