NBA, NHL and other sports thread-Winter/Spring 2011

Shortline Bus

There on a 11-Game Road Trip. They played 7 away before the all-star break and due to the Grammy. They have 3 road games left before they go back home and then the Lakers will be on another road trip so the Clippers can get some home games in.

Another reason Clippers Owner Donald Sterling is maybe the worse Owner in the NBA and maybe of all of the '4' major sports leagues in North America IMO.

Even another NBA owner who is also a clown, the Knicks Jim Dolan is a smarter guy than Sterling. NY's return to being a playoff contender is mainly because of Donnie Walsh but that another discussion.

yes as we discussed before, which I won't repeat to death, this is not like the new Meadowlands Stadium where the NFL Giants and Jets share the building since they are both the 'main' tenants/part-owners of the facility.

Combined it only about 32 dates in late summer-late Dec. they use the facilities(i.e 8 regular season games and '2' pre-season games)

Not just the Lakers play at Staples but the NHL Kings as well. So the Clippers in sense are the 3rd class citizens there. Sterling is so selffish to his team in sharing the Staples Center with the Lakers/Kings. That why if Sterling wanted the Clippers to say in LA area should be playing at the honda center in Anaheim where they they would only be sharing the building with the NHL Ducks. This 'mega' road trip is unfair to the team. Too bad David Stern does not have the guts to force Sterling to sell the team as he 'close buddies' with the long time Clippers Owner.:tdown::mad:

Back to the playing side of the NBA. The Williams for Devin Harris trade by Utah to the soon to be "Brooklyn Nets" looks like a salary dump and trying to rebulid for the draft as well.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Power has slowly shifted to the east. The only teams in the West now is the Lakers, Spurs, Mavs; outside of that the West is nothing now! The West is becoming the East now with only 3 top teams(Not counting the Thunder). Next season the East should be FUN!

I say the Knicks lost out, because I think if they would have tried they could have got Williams for basically nothing and a couple draft picks. Melo & Amar'e is nothing going to mesh right away. Its going to be the same situation how the Heat started. For them to make noise they will have to go 18-10 the rest of the way. Melo is a stop and hold type of Player. Amar'e is a Pick and Roll Player, and Billups is not that kind of PG. The Jazz gave him up quickly because they didnt want a BIG problem like what Melo and James caused.

The Key now for the Nets is trying to sell to Willams that he is a building block, because you can build around him.

The Power has slowly shifted to the east. The only teams in the West now is the Lakers, Spurs, Mavs; outside of that the West is nothing now! The West is becoming the East now with only 3 top teams(Not counting the Thunder). Next season the East should be FUN!

I say the Knicks lost out, because I think if they would have tried they could have got Williams for basically nothing and a couple draft picks. Melo & Amar'e is nothing going to mesh right away. Its going to be the same situation how the Heat started. For them to make noise they will have to go 18-10 the rest of the way. Melo is a stop and hold type of Player. Amar'e is a Pick and Roll Player, and Billups is not that kind of PG. The Jazz gave him up quickly because they didnt want a BIG problem like what Melo and James caused.

The Key now for the Nets is trying to sell to Willams that he is a building block, because you can build around him.

I agree. The Knicks could have gotten "Melo' for nothing as a Free Agent over the summer. It was MSG Boss Jim Dolan IMO 'overruling" his GM/team Prez Walsh for this main reason. Dolan's worse nightmare of "Melo' playing for a new crosstown rival in Brooklyn the next few seasons.

In reality, "Melo" probably signs with that MSG team in summer as Free Agent.

I agree. The Knicks could have gotten "Melo' for nothing as a Free Agent over the summer. It was MSG Boss Jim Dolan IMO 'overruling" his GM/team Prez Walsh for this main reason. Dolan's worse nightmare of "Melo' playing for a new crosstown rival in Brooklyn the next few seasons.

In reality, "Melo" probably signs with that MSG team in summer as Free Agent.

Melo wasnt going to sign with the Knicks over the summer, because the Nets had the best offer, and it was said by Melo. He said if the Knicks didnt get him by the deadline, he would have signed back with the Nuggets or went to the Nets. The Knicks Boss did what 10 out of 10 owners would have done, but they gave up waaaaaay to much for someone that cant play defense if his life depended on it. And the Nets proved that they didnt have to give up much. Unlike Melo, Williams plays defense. No way in the world Melo was worth all those players + 3 million cash AND 2 draft picks. And the fact that your getting a old PG who has maybe 2 years left :eek:. The Knicks IMO will regret giving up what they did. You gave up your core for a 1 dimensional player. :tdown::tdown:

Hence why the Knicks may try to get Chris Paul in '12

Great point.

Not to get off topic but anyone noticed how the NBA is becoming little like baseball with the 'have nots/elite teams i.e Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Orlando and the 'superteam' in Miami and 'have nots' i.e the Cavs post-James?

ESPN commentators all the time kill MLB "Boss" Bud Selig(rightful so at times) and other Baseball Owners for the 'elite' teams such as the Yankees, Red Sox and in recent years the Phillies having a huge advantage over the rest of MLB.

*Just a reminder MLB is the last major league on the 'planet* in team sports without some form of a salary cap.

Yet with NBA, ESPN never says a word about this issue. While TV ratings on TNT and ESPN/ABC are the highest overall since the late 1990's and the MJ/Bulls Days, there concern with so many empty seats leaguewide except for when the Spurs or Heat are in their town's.

These superteams maybe a huge reason why starting after ythis June's NBA Finals we could have a long work stoppage.

Matter of fact, I think the probable NBA lockout/strike will be much worse than say in the NFL.

So let us all enjoy the rest of the current 2010-11 NBA season. Because after a new contract is in place, mega trades like "melo' in-season. Or a Lebraon Free Agent Signing at height of his career, may never happen again as the NBA may have a strict salary cap that makes trades and free agent movements very hard.:(

*The view expressed are those of Shortline and not of those of here of the NYCTF.*:(

I think the Lakers will pick up Paul. With Derek Fisher knowing he is going to retire soon it would be the perfect fit; Fish is on a year by year contract meaning he will let the Lakers know when its time to hang the shoes up. And we all know the Lakers are not scared to spend money. There core is locked up until 2014 on Max Deals.

No one is going to wana play the Knicks in the 1st round of the Playoffs.

A fellow F1 fan. Good to know.

Too bad they don't televise it like they used to, back in the early-mid 90's....

NASCAR to me, is very gimmicky... that's the best way I can put it...

I'll watch it if I'm channel surfing & there's nothin else on... however, I can't follow it race-by-race.... If I can give an analogy, it's like comparing the WWE to the MMA....

Biggest difference to me b/w watching the two, are the passes (the overtaking) skills of F1 drivers.... to me, it's a work of art to see open wheel drivers overtake another driver.... whereas, the trading paint part of NASCAR I don't like; the fact that it's generally ok to pass someone while scraping the side of the car, or using "bump" drafting techniques in order to slingshot pass another driver.... this is often how multi-car pileups/crashes happen in NASCAR.... and that's another thing, all these wasted laps under caution, slowing down the momentum of the race....

ehh, F1 >>>> NASCAR all day, if you ask me....

My problem with NASCAR,they love to throw yellow flag for anything that is on the track!!!but in F1,there debris all over the track from a crash lap before and they dont slow the race at all,I guess they send a guy on the track to pick up as much debris as they can.There's time when there is a single car spin onto the inside of the track in NASCAR they want to slow the race for that WTF..When there less then 10 laps to go in NASCAR sometime,they throw the mystery yellow and fans and drivers be question that call,because NASCAR want to bunch up the pack and make the finish exciting.lol

I'm not an F1 fan,but I think the reason why some people don't like F1,because they will say it's boring or there's no passing..I mean even Juan Pablo had said the reason he came to NASCAR,because it's fun,unlike F1

With 'old timers night' woops being politically correct "Legends' nite', at MSG, Knicks lead Bucks 59-57 at the Half. 'Melo' scoring 14 points in his NYK debut so far.

In his Knicks debut, Carmelo scores a team high 27 points despite shooting 10-of-25, and the Knicks win 114-108 against the Bucks.

I've started to watch basketball 'cause that's what I'm doing for my gym class. B)

welcome goji to the world of the nba. This is an intresting time to watch the NBA to say the least.

I started following hoops and became a fan(Not as much of a fan now in 2011)in 1982/83 when some of the star players of that era were Magic Johnson, Larrry Bird, "Dr J" Moses Malone, George Gervin, Bob Lainer, Kareem and of course the Knicks best player back then Knick Great Bernard King.

I miss those days very much of watching these all time great players. Back then in 1982/83 there was only I think '24' teams and a better depth of the league.

PS Here clip of great song by Kurtis Blow called simply "Basketball.;

You got to be kidding me... Melo wife is getting an reality show!

-----------------------------------------------------

New York is about to turn into La La land -- as Carmelo Anthony's wife pursues her own "net work" in the Big Apple.

Since last fall, VH1 has been chronicling the life and times of vivacious La La Vazquez for a new reality show, "La La's Full Court Life."

Staffers on the show -- debuting in August -- said the production was turned on its ear Monday when Anthony joined the Knicks.

"We were shooting all last weekend at the All-Star Game [in LA]" said VH1 exec Jeff Olde. "And much of what was going on were phone calls going back and forth" among Vazquez, Anthony and his agent.

"Fans kept coming up to them, asking if he was going to move to New York, and they really didn't know -- it was a real cliffhanger."

About 30 people involved in the show are now scrambling to move the production to New York from Denver -- where Carmelo played for the Nuggets -- and were filming at last night's game at MSG.

"Because of Melo's road schedule, La must negotiate a cross-country move -- finding a house, settling their son in a new school, etc. -- all by herself," Olde said.

"La is also still trying to balance this with her pursuit of an acting career."

Speaking to The Post at the Garden last night, La La said, "We've heard great things about TriBeCa -- we'll definitely be looking there."

Vazquez, 31, born in Flatbush, is a former MTV VJ and reality-show star who turned her wedding last summer to longtime beau Anthony into a reality show called "La La's Full Court Wedding."

That show, which first aired in August, spent a year chronicling the planning for the July wedding at Cipriani 42nd Street. The guest list included Justin Timberlake, Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian, Amar'e Stoudemire, Serena Williams, Kenyon Martin, rapper Ludacris, Kelly Rowland, Spike Lee and LeBron James.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/whole_new_reality_for_his_lovely_1pAcv502XsLx0zIRb6qyWP

You got to be kidding me... Melo wife is getting an reality show!

-----------------------------------------------------

New York is about to turn into La La land -- as Carmelo Anthony's wife pursues her own "net work" in the Big Apple.

Since last fall, VH1 has been chronicling the life and times of vivacious La La Vazquez for a new reality show, "La La's Full Court Life."

Staffers on the show -- debuting in August -- said the production was turned on its ear Monday when Anthony joined the Knicks.

"We were shooting all last weekend at the All-Star Game [in LA]" said VH1 exec Jeff Olde. "And much of what was going on were phone calls going back and forth" among Vazquez, Anthony and his agent.

"Fans kept coming up to them, asking if he was going to move to New York, and they really didn't know -- it was a real cliffhanger."

About 30 people involved in the show are now scrambling to move the production to New York from Denver -- where Carmelo played for the Nuggets -- and were filming at last night's game at MSG.

"Because of Melo's road schedule, La must negotiate a cross-country move -- finding a house, settling their son in a new school, etc. -- all by herself," Olde said.

"La is also still trying to balance this with her pursuit of an acting career."

Speaking to The Post at the Garden last night, La La said, "We've heard great things about TriBeCa -- we'll definitely be looking there."

Vazquez, 31, born in Flatbush, is a former MTV VJ and reality-show star who turned her wedding last summer to longtime beau Anthony into a reality show called "La La's Full Court Wedding."

That show, which first aired in August, spent a year chronicling the planning for the July wedding at Cipriani 42nd Street. The guest list included Justin Timberlake, Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian, Amar'e Stoudemire, Serena Williams, Kenyon Martin, rapper Ludacris, Kelly Rowland, Spike Lee and LeBron James.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/whole_new_reality_for_his_lovely_1pAcv502XsLx0zIRb6qyWP

If I was Melo I would divorce her! She was the reason why all this New York talk came about. She is a greedy sucker and its obvious. Sorry LA LA your a gold digger.

If I was Melo I would divorce her! She was the reason why all this New York talk came about. She is a greedy sucker and its obvious. Sorry LA LA your a gold digger.

Being fair Ms. Vasquez is not the only so called 'gold digger' or being pc 'trophy wives.' There are cases in which these marriages are still 'true love' between players and their wives but it's a dying breed.

I say at least 75% of these trophy wives are only with their sports star husbands for the obvious reasons. Thus the issue of say NBA and players in other sports leagues being a Dad to 5 children or more with several different ladies. That another story.

For instance I don't think an attractive 'chicks' such as Kim Kashdian, Beyonce or Derek Jeter's current GF Minka Kelly, would date a guy who is a regional manager at the local McDonald's. This is not new but the big difference now in 2011 is that these 'trophy wives and girlfriends' are more bold than ever in being honest about it.

Sorry it sounds sexist but the media does not want to address it because I guess they love the attention it gives to TMZ and other tabloid media outlets. :eek:

Yeah, I'm a bit late on the Melo thing, but if this was all Walsh, I feel he was pressured to pulling the trigger on the deal from that idiot Dolan. Walsh could've traded for less as it was basically down to the Knicks and Nets wanting Melo. However, I do like Billups being part of the trade. He's a veteran and that could help for some of the newer 'kids' on the team.

At best i see them making it past the 1st round, but this shoot only and no defence is not good at all. Dantoni has to go.

For Walsh: if that guy doesn't get exec of the year for getting both Amare and Melo and getting a team to take on Curry's contract, then there's some real bs going on.

I also fear that if Dolan doesn't give Walsh an extension, Thomas may try to weed his way back in. I don't want to see everything Walsh did become undone from that deuchebag Thomas who basically set the team back for a decade with terrible contracts and turned the team into a laughing stock.

Finally: if there is a lockout next season, the NBA really needs to contract. I'd select the Grizzlies and Bobcats [move the Hornets back to Charlotte]. I'm sure there must be other teams that needs to be cut.

Yeah, I'm a bit late on the Melo thing, but if this was all Walsh, I feel he was pressured to pulling the trigger on the deal from that idiot Dolan. Walsh could've traded for less as it was basically down to the Knicks and Nets wanting Melo. However, I do like Billups being part of the trade. He's a veteran and that could help for some of the newer 'kids' on the team.

At best i see them making it past the 1st round, but this shoot only and no defence is not good at all. Dantoni has to go.

For Walsh: if that guy doesn't get exec of the year for getting both Amare and Melo and getting a team to take on Curry's contract, then there's some real bs going on.

I also fear that if Dolan doesn't give Walsh an extension, Thomas may try to weed his way back in. I don't want to see everything Walsh did become undone from that deuchebag Thomas who basically set the team back for a decade with terrible contracts and turned the team into a laughing stock.

Finally: if there is a lockout next season, the NBA really needs to contract. I'd select the Grizzlies and Bobcats [move the Hornets back to Charlotte]. I'm sure there must be other teams that needs to be cut.

I agree with that Dantoni does need to change that system. But after watching that game last night, its clear that he did tweek it. Shooting 3s 80% of time will win alot of games in the reg. season but not in the playoffs. The Magic/Suns is a prime example. The Magic in the 2009 Finals and the Suns in the 2010 WCF. When that 3 isnt working they dont have any other option.

Welcome back Concourse. Actually I would move the Grizzlies or Hornets to Seattle if any NBA teams needs to move.

And on the Dolan/Walsh comments I think it may happen. Walsh is one of the best NBA executives in last 25 years(I know he never won a NBA title but he made the Pacers reach at least the NBA East Finals almost every year for nearly a decade between 1994-2003)and main guy on why the Knicks have turned around this season.

Well I would figure Jersey would be an option since the Nets are going to move to Brooklyn. But I still think the NBA needs to contract at least 2 teams first. So does the MLB [another subject altogether].

=

Agreed, last night the Knicks let too many 3-pt shots get thru and is it me or did it seem like the Knicks didn't get many breaks in terms of getting some more shots from the foul line compared to the Bucks?

Well I would figure Jersey would be an option since the Nets are going to move to Brooklyn. But I still think the NBA needs to contract at least 2 teams first. So does the MLB [another subject altogether].

=

Agreed, last night the Knicks let too many 3-pt shots get thru and is it me or did it seem like the Knicks didn't get many breaks in terms of getting some more shots from the foul line compared to the Bucks?

The current 2011 Knicks with newly added "Melo' and Billups(their only good defensive player)remind of the early/mid-1980's NBA West teams like the Warriors Nuggets and Mavs teams. They both would 'light up' the score board led by Nuggests HOF Alex English and Warriors 3-point legend "World B Free"(yup that was his name)scoring 110-120 points reguarly.

Yet in the playoffs the Nuggets, Warriors and Mavs would always lose to the Lakers or Rockets because they all lacked 'defense' and a descent half court game.

The Bucks stink! A team that only average 90.2 points per game went into MSG and got 108. This Knicks dont play defense and never will as long as Dantoni is the coach. If you want to be a contender you have to play defense. And its not even about playing defense the whole game, you have to play it in key moments when the game is on the line and is tied 90 90 with 5mins to go.

They made the bucks look like they didnt average 90.2 points a game.

I understand Melo wanted to be in NY but I just dont think it will work. But time will tell.

Archived