NBA, NHL and other sports thread-Winter/Spring 2011

Shortline Bus

Agreed! If I said the Bulls were coming out the east anyone of you guys could make a good case about any other team l0l. At this point I wouldnt dare bet on any team to come out the east. Now the West, its either the Lakers or the Mavs, and the Lakers will come out! And the reason the Lakers will come out is because the Mavs are known to meltdown, anyone remember when Golden State, the number 8 seed beat them?

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the first time since the post-Jordan era began, the Eastern Conference is wide open for the taking

Agreed! If I said the Bulls were coming out the east anyone of you guys could make a good case about any other team l0l. At this point I wouldnt dare bet on any team to come out the east. Now the West, its either the Lakers or the Mavs, and the Lakers will come out! And the reason the Lakers will come out is because the Mavs are known to meltdown, anyone remember when Golden State, the number 8 seed beat them?

For the NBA, Is it too early to blurt out the P word yet....

Parity......

dare I say, the smaller market teams are getting progressively better....

and that year when the warriors beat (IMO, it wasn't an upset, as ppl make it out to be.... the mavs got their a**es handed to them in that series), the mavs.... I'll never forget it.

I used to root hard for the mavs then.... and everytime they disappointed...

^ name rings a bell... guy was a bum anyway...

I'm gonna say this... Today. March 2nd, 2011.

The NBA eastern conf. is WIDE open for the taking....

The Heat isn't a domineering squad.... the Magic this year has disappointed/underachieved... the Celtics have gotten worse, the way I see it (also)....Allen & Pierce are gonna practically have to make all of their shots, b/c KG isn't that rebounding force anymore....

& Lmao @ "hope for Jermaine to be back for the playoffs", as if he's gonna dominate - hell, even be effective, period....

Can you (or anyone else) honestly, with a straight face, finish this sentence:

"All roads go through the ____________ to win the 2011 NBA Eastern Conference Title."

....b/c I can't....

Not with any type of honesty & certainty...

Who ever 'survives' and makes the 2011 NBA finals from the East, they will be a huge underdog vs. the West most likely either the Spurs or Lakers.

Not to mention the 'dirty' little secret ESPN won't mention. Places like Newark(NJ Nets)Memphis and New Orleans all having huge ticket problems.

There is need for change for free agent rules/salary scale in NBA.

And 553 on the TV front. No way ESPN/TNT is paying $ 2.2 Million a season each for NBA rights.

Try More like $400-500 Million a season(about $800-900 Million combined) I think as ESPN/ABC and TNT this season began a 5-year extension with the NBA, that pays David Stern and company about $5 Billion which after the 2016 NBA Finals.

http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/abcnbanewdeal.html

The way things are looking now is that it will happen. And these star players are to blame. The lockout wasnt a serious issue untill Lebron James and Chris Bosh made there move and it became even more series when Carmelo went to the Knicks and Charles Barkley said, there is going to be a lockout. You see what its done, the Cavs a small market team when straight to hell after being on top. With all the star players in big markets such as Miami, New York, LA ect, this is what you get. TNT Pays 2.2Million(ESPN pays about the same) to show these games and if the Lakers are playing the Nets on TNT, who wants to see the Nets, now if it were against the Heat, then everyone would watch it.

This is going to turn into a league where there is going to be only like 5 or 6 good teams. It sucks for the fans, because there are fans who like those small market teams. If the Wolves come on TNT and play the Kings, who wants to watch that game, and thats what Charles Barkley hit right on the nail. There are no star players on those teams.

This would have never been a problem if James stayed in Cleveland. Because of that, now those small market teams are pushing for franchise tags to keep those big name players in small markets for more them 3 years which would give them a chance to atleast be contenders at some point. Kevin Durant I have to give it up to him, stay with your team to give your team a chance. OKC is a small market team and look at them now!

If anyone has ever seen a Toronto Raptors/Portland TrailBlazers home game, you will see they have sellouts every night with out a big star.

With all these star players on one team, it is not good for the league.

I never root for the Mavs. They are so predictiable. They will win 50-60 games a season, but when it come time to play in the playoffs they fail everytime. Even in 2006 when they went to the Finals, they went up 2-0 in the series and lost the last 4.

I'll never forget that Warriors/Mavs Series. I couldnt believe what I was seeing and was in total shock! For a team to win 67 games and get beaten like road kill was just sad. The Warriors that season however, was riding a surprise season by making the Playoffs and that run-n-gun offense kilt the Mavs, whose legs were tired from winning 67 games. I'll never forget Avery Johnsons post game remarks in the 2006 finals.

FTW LMFAO!

And I think this will Kill the Spurs now in the end. I have never known Greg Popavich to let a Spurs team to run up-tempo offense and chuck up 3s like the Magic. Greg is a more defensive minded coach and seeing this surprised me also. However, its just sad seeing those other teams just lay down to the Spurs, I mean if you really watch them, they dont play good defense at all and they gamble alot.

Not to mention the 'dirty' little secret ESPN won't mention. Places like Newark(NJ Nets)Memphis and New Orleans all having huge ticket problems.

There is need for change for free agent rules/salary scale in NBA.

And 553 on the TV front. No way ESPN/TNT is paying $ 2.2 Million a season each for NBA rights.

Try More like $400-500 Million a season(about $800-900 Million combined) I think as ESPN/ABC and TNT this season began a 5-year extension with the NBA, that pays David Stern and company about $5 Billion which after the 2016 NBA Finals.

http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/abcnbanewdeal.html

Thanks for the correction!

With Joakim Noah back in the lineup, I think the Bulls can beat the Heat in a 7 game series. Noah can shut down Bosh.

Since we been talking wall-wall NBA for a week or so, let us if you want talk NHL and even NCAA Basketball.

First hockey. I am very disappointed as a Rangers fan about the blueshirts horrible slump. At start of January they not only looked assured of a playoff spot but at one point had chance at #4 seed in NHL East and a 1st round home playoff series.

Now they are in the 7-8th seed hanging on for their lives for one of the last post season spots. Will they make it?

Look it but the NJ Devils are on 'fire.' After one of their worst starts to season in team history as 1 point NJ had the 2nd worse record in the NHL.

Now they have shot to catch that #8 spot.

I am sure a team like Philly or Boston likely to win their divisions and get the top 2 seeds in NHL East Playoffs does not want to play future HOF Marty Boredur in the first round.

So any comments on the NHL?:eek:

I stopped watching hockey for a minute... the rangers are that far behind now?

I was pissed at how they missed the playoffs last year (with the last few games they lost down the stretch, it came down to a freakin penalty shot in the very last game of the season... w/ which they lost to the Flyers)....

They rely waaaaaay too much on Lundqvist to bail them out of poorly offensively played games... he can only do but so much to help this squad win... that's the main problem I have w/ this franchise as of late....

I was pissed at how they missed the playoffs last year (with the last few games they lost down the stretch, it came down to a freakin penalty shot in the very last game of the season... w/ which they lost to the Flyers)....

They rely waaaaaay too much on Lundqvist to bail them out of poorly offensively played games... he can only do but so much to help this squad win... that's the main problem I have w/ this franchise as of late....

You do raise a good point though bro. The NHL only has '2' household stars(do we need to mention their names lol)at the moment.

The main reason (only reason)why tv ratings are the highest in about a decade this season is mainly due to the fact, they are like the NFL.

So many teams in NHL are still in the playoff race.

I will follow the NHL alot more when the Stanley Cup begins. Right now focused on hoops both college basketball and the NBA.

What a comeback by Orlando tonight against the Heat....

this is what happens when you're overhyped, overglorified, and overpaid.....

2zqac0k.gif

Damn. Just saw it on sportscenter. I watched a little bit of that game(along with Rangers-Wild game which Blueshirts lost sadly:tdown:) and thought the Heat won. just woke up from sleeping. Of well for the Heat being the next 'superteam.'

Miami may not even win that SE Division.

A history making night in the NBA (3/4/11). The Nets and Toronto Raptors tonight play the first regular season games outside of North America in London. Tip off is around 3pm NY time.

Actually it's a 2-game series that ends tommorow. My take is that why do this so late in the season? It should have been done say in November or latest early Dec. as the Nets still have an outside (slim) shot for a post season spot.

The purpose of this game is 1)test to see if London and England as a whole can support a future NBA club either relocated or expansion 2)'preview' for the 2012 Olympic Basketball Tournment in which the UK is hosting the next summer Olympics.

reactions?

What a comeback by Orlando tonight against the Heat....

this is what happens when you're overhyped, overglorified, and overpaid.....

x6a5b8.gif

Them idiots gave up 39 points from downtown! Miami who?

I watched that game and couldnt believe what was going on. It was 71-49 at the start of the 3rd qtr. Miami is not a contender.

As for those London Games, game 1 was a good game!

LMAO @ the GIF! Reminds me of the Tom Coughin one where the Eagles came back to win against the Giants last season.

imager.php?id=1564299&t=o GIFSoup

I'm shocked no one GIF'd Rex Ryan reaction to losing the AFC title game to the Steelers, even though I'm an Jet fan and that moment hurt when it happened live it was still kinda funny and would have made an awesome GIF!

The heat are gettin KILLED by San Antonio... just turned on the TV, and I see 101-74 @ 9:04 to go in the 4th......

edit: lmao @ us postin the same ish !

also lmao @ this spankin they're recieving... man, this team aint gettin past the 2nd round....

Lol as much as I hate the Spurs man im ENJOYING THIS!

And Mark Jackson had the nerve to say "this team will be ready when it matters the most".

111-82

Edit:

123-95. Its a debacle.

This might as me the Miami Heat on ESPN broadcast. They kiss Lefraud butt so much it's not even funny anymore. Notice to the CEO of ESPN. You missed out on Micheal Jordan(Tv coverage wise in the late 80's/90's)get over it.

It's a shame too, they had a nice start and started regressing. Then again I have doubts about the Rangers even getting past the first round anyway. So they may as well just let some other deserving team lock up the last spot. [Long as it's not the Flyers on the last game of the season again.]

On the flip side, the once dead Devils are starting to surge back into things.

The Los Bulls beat the EL Heat. The Heat take another "L" lmfao!

The superteam be watch out and still try to win that SE Division. If Miami finishes say as the #4 seed (and the Magic win that division)that means in the 2nd round assuming they win their 1st round series, they play the Magic or Celtics on the 'road' for 7th game.

Only a handful of teams lower than a # 3 seed in current NBA playoff format has ever advanced to the NBA Finals or even won it. The last low seed to win the NBA Title was Dwayne Wade's Heat in 2006.

Off topic. Read in this morning NY Daily News that the Sacremento Kings might be leaving Northern California and move to either Anaheim(the Lakers and Clippers wont be thrilled for a 3rd team in LA area)or Vegas their Kings Owners hometown as early as the start of the 2012-'13 season in Sept. 2012.

Reason is the Kings want a new arena.

The Kings should have never left Kansas City in the late 1980's in the first place anyhow IMO. There a brand new arena in KC they could have been playing in right now. If they need to leave Sacremento they should go to either Seattle or KC IMO. Sacremento, which is California's State Captial is too close to the San Francisco-Oakland Bay area where the Warriors call home.

Archived