The Joy of Living on Staten Island

SIR North Shore

Take the S89! It really should be running hourly off-peak, 7 days a week. Saturdays 9AM-9PM, Sundays 10AM-8PM.

I would if it was running today! But a 24/7 bus to the Northeast corridor would do wonders for those kind of commutes to NJ. Not everyone needs to travel into Manhattan as the MTA unfortunately assumes. The S40 and S55 both end right near bridges but don't cross them.

I hope that this topic gets a lot more respect. There's a reason why I wish that the MTA would explore a bus route to Jersey Gardens Mall and IKEA. It won't be perfect, but one could get to downtown Elizabeth via NJT's 62 or Coach USA's 24, or to Newark via the NJT 40 or 62.

It would generate new ridership - key for any new route.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I find the Verrazano bridge toll a little bit too overpriced. Well, I guess it's safe to take out the a little bit part:tdown:

Its like that cuz its free to drive to Brooklyn. Its like you're paying double the toll to get on the island

I can sort of see why the S55 doesn't go over the Outerbridge (it runs weekdays only, connects to only one rail line, and most of the people on the South Shore have cars), but the S40 is a no-brainer.

They don't have to even create a new route-just extend an existing one with no competition. It would be 15-20 minutes at most. (And the advantage of the S40 is that more people in the areas it serves use transit, an it can connect with 2 rail lines rather than 1)

A little bit is an understatement, but I'm also convinced that ridership on the S53 and S79 spiked up because of the toll increase.

Maybe a little bit, but I doubt it is anything significant. Most SI residents have E-Z Pass, so the cost of the toll is $5.76 round-trip vs. $4.20 on the local bus, and driving is much faster unless your destination is in western Brooklyn.

A realtive of mine began using the local bus to get to Bay Ridge rather than driving, and figured that he can pay only $2.10 (by using the transfer to get home) rather than paying $5.76+gas+maintainance by parking near the bridge and taking the S53 one way and the S79 the other way.

VrOov.png

UNodv.png

$13 toll for the Verrazono Bridge but no buses that run regularly to New Jersey, really wtf MTA!

You're right... The MTA has failed big time in realizing how many Staten Islanders go to New Jersey. Whenever I want to go to Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus I always go to NJ and I take the express bus to the city and then NJ Transit 162 or 163... Tax free shopping and it's suburban just like most of Staten Island... :cool:

I can sort of see why the S55 doesn't go over the Outerbridge (it runs weekdays only, connects to only one rail line, and most of the people on the South Shore have cars), but the S40 is a no-brainer.

They don't have to even create a new route-just extend an existing one with no competition. It would be 15-20 minutes at most. (And the advantage of the S40 is that more people in the areas it serves use transit, an it can connect with 2 rail lines rather than 1)

Agreed! The service on the S55 was even less than it is now prior to it's extension to the prison, but I have a feeling that it would be used if it ran to New Jersey. Or the S56, either one! This is less about serving the car-centric South Shore and more about making it easier to get around and on/off Staten Island as a whole. They could send the S61 down Droomgoole Road and over the Outerbridge if they wanted to.

Any route that runs to NJ though should run on 15 minute headways with every other bus running to either NJ or short-turning at it's original terminal in Staten Island just in case there's traffic on the bridges.

I can't really see how to reroute the S56, so I think the S55 would be better.

Actually, how about doing it the opposite way-asking NJ Transit to send the #813 over here? It connects with the North Jersey Coast Line and Northeast Corridor Line. (Maybe even the #817 also, since it ends Perth Amboy, though it doesn't really connect with anything)

In my SI Bus/Rail Fantasy Map, I have the S55 combined with the #813 to provide the best of both worlds.

The S56 would probably just have to overlap the S55 route a bit, which I don't see anything wrong with.

The reason I would rather the MTA extend their services into NJ is because I and anyone else would only be paying one fare within Staten Island when you take into account that some routes offer free 2nd transfers.

The S56 would probably just have to overlap the S55 route a bit, which I don't see anything wrong with.

The reason I would rather the MTA extend their services into NJ is because I and anyone else would only be paying one fare within Staten Island when you take into account that some routes offer free 2nd transfers.

I prefer MTA express buses to NJ Transit's express buses... It's weird but I find that MCIs on the MTA lines have more leg room and are generally more comfortable w/climate control. I'm one that loves air conditioning but the AC on NJ Transit coach buses is just insane in the summertime. It's like being in an ice box.

I prefer MTA express buses to NJ Transit's express buses... It's weird but I find that MCIs on the MTA lines have more leg room and are generally more comfortable w/climate control. I'm one that loves air conditioning but the AC on NJ Transit coach buses is just insane in the summertime. It's like being in an ice box.

That's true and NJ's express buses run a lot less frequently than MTA's lines.

When you think about it also, Staten Island has 4 bus depots now! The common excuse for no service expansions was overcrowded depots. What are they waiting for now?

I'd prefer that as well, but if reliable service was offered that could cut my commute in half, I'd take it even if it didn't offer a free transfer.

Maybe if NJT decided to run the route, it could work out an agreement with the MTA that would allow people to make free transfers to other MTA-run bus routes.

When you think about it also, Staten Island has 4 bus depots now! The common excuse for no service expansions was overcrowded depots. What are they waiting for now?

If nothing else, the service reductions would've freed up buses to be used on other routes. I think it'll be a while before any real service is added (it looks bad to make a massive service expansion after a bunch of service cuts)

I think we'll see some more service added in the spring time. They already added a few additional express bus runs. The new X2 run added in the a.m. is well used and is taking a burden off of the X1, which is great. They are still trying to get the buses all moved around, so give it a few months. You won't see bursts of improvements, but I expect to see more improvements gradually. The X1 could still use even more frequent service on the weekends and during parts of the week and several other express bus lines should have extended hours. The S53, S79 and S48 could use more frequency as well, as they are still quite crowded even with the current headways, esp. the S53 and S79.

By extending the S40 to NJ, one loses service west of Forest Avenue, leaving Goethals Homes without a bus. The MTA probably doesn't want to pay more for the overhead of interstate local service (DOT inspections/record, PA tolls, etc.)

How's the S89 ridership to/from Bayonne? Since that's a primarily commuter-oriented route, we can see how an EWR or NJT station extension will do.

I want to see service extended on Forest Avenue east of Port Richmond Avenue. It would be nice to not have to take car service over to the X10 or

X1... What I was surprised to see is that quite a few people take the S53 to the X10, but especially to the X1. The frequency and quickness of the connection with the X1 with the S53 I'm sure is the reason why.

By extending the S40 to NJ, one loses service west of Forest Avenue, leaving Goethals Homes without a bus. The MTA probably doesn't want to pay more for the overhead of interstate local service (DOT inspections/record, PA tolls, etc.)

How's the S89 ridership to/from Bayonne? Since that's a primarily commuter-oriented route, we can see how an EWR or NJT station extension will do.

That's why I said this:

Any route that runs to NJ though should run on 15 minute headways with every other bus running to either NJ or short-turning at it's original terminal in Staten Island just in case there's traffic on the bridges.

The S89 hit over 1,000 daily riders back in 2009 though.

And Via, whenever I take the X1 or X10, I have no choice but to use the S53 first. Car service costs went up way too much over the years.

That's why I said this:

The S89 hit over 1,000 daily riders back in 2009 though.

And Via, whenever I take the X1 or X10, I have no choice but to use the S53 first. Car service costs went up way too much over the years.

I basically set aside funds for car service as part of my "transit expenses", but I know what you mean. A 5 minute ride from using Clove Lakes from Slosson and Reon Ave over by Casey's is friggin' $9.00 plus a tip of course and about $13.00 from Fingerboard plus tip, so I usually spend like $40.00 if I go to the city Sat and Sun, not including any late nights coming from the city during the week. I don't even bother with the other car services too much, as they're even more expensive. What I try to do is balance that a bit by taking the S53 more during off hours when it's less crowded, which I've just started doing since I used to use the S54 before the service cuts at least when I was in the mood to do the 15 minute walk over there. Using the S53 can be quick and there's far less riff raff during the colder months during off hours. In summertime and spring however I use car service more often since it's crazier during those times and I just don't want to be bothered with the so called "tough guys" (lol) on the local bus with their need to garner attention. It really comes down to my mood. The only reason I tolerate taking the S53 at times is because it runs so frequency and it links up pretty well with the X1 and I can stop off at that Met supermarket over on Hylan which carries some of the Italian goodies I used to get back in Italy, so it makes it worthwhile for me.

I will often get off of one bus and the other will pull up right behind it, so it can be difficult for me to justify the $10.00 for car service for a 5 minute ride (which I can be waiting for for over 20 mins at times if they're short on drivers) with the short 10 - 15 minute ride on the local bus and such an easy connection to the express bus.

They're less than a 5 minute walk from Forest Avenue, so they'll still be within coverage guidelines. One group of homes shouldn't be the reason why an extension can't happen. Not to mention, they'll reap the full benefits of being right next to the Goethals Bridge, so it'll actually be a plus for them.

According to the MTA's statistics, the S89 gets about 900-1,000 riders per day (according to their stats it got 918 riders per day in 2009: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus.htm).

When I see it in the AM rush (in the peak direction), it seems to be doing pretty good. Out of all of the Richmond Avenue buses, it appears to have the highest percentage of non-student riders. The buses generally carry more-or-less a seated load by the time they reach Forest Avenue, so when they go over the Bayonne Bridge, there are maybe 5-6 people standing.

My brother takes it in the opposite direction from our neighborhood and says that at 7AM, there are a couple of people standing on the S89, but the S59 is usually crowded (for some reason, people seem to prefer a local bus in that direction).

In the PM, ridership over the Bayonne Bridge appears to be lower (I can't see why, since the people who used it to get to NJ should be using it to get back). Ridership drops on the later runs.

Reverse-peak ridership over the Bayonne Bridge is very low whenever I see it. But the cost of running the service for those few people is close to nothing, since the bus has to get back to SI anyway.

They're less than a 5 minute walk from Forest Avenue, so they'll still be within coverage guidelines. One group of homes shouldn't be the reason why an extension can't happen. Not to mention, they'll reap the full benefits of being right next to the Goethals Bridge, so it'll actually be a plus for them.

According to the MTA's statistics, the S89 gets about 900-1,000 riders per day (according to their stats it got 918 riders per day in 2009: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus.htm).

When I see it in the AM rush (in the peak direction), it seems to be doing pretty good. Out of all of the Richmond Avenue buses, it appears to have the highest percentage of non-student riders. The buses generally carry more-or-less a seated load by the time they reach Forest Avenue, so when they go over the Bayonne Bridge, there are maybe 5-6 people standing.

My brother takes it in the opposite direction from our neighborhood and says that at 7AM, there are a couple of people standing on the S89, but the S59 is usually crowded (for some reason, people seem to prefer a local bus in that direction).

In the PM, ridership over the Bayonne Bridge appears to be lower (I can't see why, since the people who used it to get to NJ should be using it to get back). Ridership drops on the later runs.

Reverse-peak ridership over the Bayonne Bridge is very low whenever I see it. But the cost of running the service for those few people is close to nothing, since the bus has to get back to SI anyway.

There is a certain crowd using the S89 and those folks are probably your middle class commuters who can afford the local bus to the rail link w/out any problems. I wonder how many express bus converts now take the S89? My feeling is that express bus riders are not likely to switch over unless their finances changes. No one wants to give up a one seat ride for a two or three seat ride unless they really are looking to save cash. I for one wouldn't use it. The express bus is far more comfortable.

Archived