The Joy of Living on Staten Island

SIR North Shore

There is a certain crowd using the S89 and those folks are probably your middle class commuters who can afford the local bus to the rail link w/out any problems. I wonder how many express bus converts now take the S89? My feeling is that express bus riders are not likely to switch over unless their finances changes. No one wants to give up a one seat ride for a two or three seat ride unless they really are looking to save cash. I for one wouldn't use it. The express bus is far more comfortable.

The S89's ridership base is people looking to go to Jersey City and Hoboken, not to Manhattan.

The S89->HBLR->PATH isn't even cheaper than the express bus.

The express bus costs $200 per month ($50 per week) by comparison, you're paying:

$104 per month for the monthly MetroCard

$64 per month for the HBLR

$54 per month for the PATH

That is a total of $222 vs. $200, and it takes longer via the S89.

If you want to look at it on a pay-per-ride basis, the fare is $5.14 for the express bus (when you consider the 7% bonus). By comparison, you're paying:

$2.10 for the S89

$2.10 for the HBLR (By the way, why did they eliminate 10-trip tickets? Now, you're stuck paying by the ride or by the month, with no intermediate option)

$1.75 for the PATH (or $1.30 if you pay-per-ride using their Smartlink Card)

That is a total of $5.95 (or $5.50 if you use a Smartlink Card) vs. $5.14,and the express bus is, again, much faster and offers a one-seat ride.

Any express bus riders looking to save money aren't going to be using the S89-they'll either be taking a local bus to the ferry or (R) train.

Speaking of Staten Island, is lots of people still not aware S42 runs peak, no S60 bus?

By now, I'm positive that all of the regular customers are aware about the S42 and S60. As far as everybody else goes, there is always somebody out there who is unaware of any changes.

Well, if you're headed to Hoboken, it is cheaper:

200 (express bus)+54 (PATH)=254/month

104 (S89) + 64 (HBLR) = 168/month.

Can MTA serve both Elizabeth and EWR with one route? I thought they could only have one NJ stop?

The S89's ridership base is people looking to go to Jersey City and Hoboken, not to Manhattan.

The S89->HBLR->PATH isn't even cheaper than the express bus.

The express bus costs $200 per month ($50 per week) by comparison, you're paying:

$104 per month for the monthly MetroCard

$64 per month for the HBLR

$54 per month for the PATH

That is a total of $222 vs. $200, and it takes longer via the S89.

If you want to look at it on a pay-per-ride basis, the fare is $5.14 for the express bus (when you consider the 7% bonus). By comparison, you're paying:

$2.10 for the S89

$2.10 for the HBLR (By the way, why did they eliminate 10-trip tickets? Now, you're stuck paying by the ride or by the month, with no intermediate option)

$1.75 for the PATH (or $1.30 if you pay-per-ride using their Smartlink Card)

That is a total of $5.95 (or $5.50 if you use a Smartlink Card) vs. $5.14,and the express bus is, again, much faster and offers a one-seat ride.

Any express bus riders looking to save money aren't going to be using the S89-they'll either be taking a local bus to the ferry or (R) train.

By now, I'm positive that all of the regular customers are aware about the S42 and S60. As far as everybody else goes, there is always somebody out there who is unaware of any changes.

That's ridiculous.... I thought there was some sort of transfer or something that you could use on PATH if you've got a Metrocard. At least I recall seeing the MTA style vending machines when I had to take PATH a year or so ago over by the WTC.

That's ridiculous.... I thought there was some sort of transfer or something that you could use on PATH if you've got a Metrocard. At least I recall seeing the MTA style vending machines when I had to take PATH a year or so ago over by the WTC.

They accept MetroCard, but don't give free transfers.

It's also same situation if you're transfering from (MTA) Bus/Subway/Bee-Line Base Fare to Bee-Line BxM4C, there are no free transfer because of $7.50 fare.

However if you're transferring from BxM4C to subway or bus, it's free.

For example, if you take bus to catch BxM4C, you have to paid $7.50, so rider will be $9.75 one way.

Lots of tourists make mistake between PATH MVM and Subway MVM.

One time when I was at 33rd St PATH station, when there was lady at PATH MVM and getting SingleRide (which was for PATH), when she saw price $1.75, she said, "I thought subway is $2.25."

Regular PATH riders told her, "You have to go to subway station. This machine is for PATH train to NJ."

It would. I think most people here agree that the S40 should be extended to the Elizabeth NJT station and/or Newark Airport.

That's pretty much what this thread is discussing.

Wouldn't go that far. Jersey Gardens Mall, however, seems more reasonable...and connect with ONE Bus or NJT, but provide regional connectivity. This would be my idea for full-time connectivity, as well as adding off-peak (hourly via SI Mall) and Saturday service to the S89 (every 2 hours to ETC via SI Mall), likely coming at the cost of the some X27 and X28 late-evening runs for cost neutrality. Also keep in mind that the S89 may move to the 8th Street Station when it opens.

I can't really see how to reroute the S56, so I think the S55 would be better.

Actually, how about doing it the opposite way-asking NJ Transit to send the #813 over here? It connects with the North Jersey Coast Line and Northeast Corridor Line. (Maybe even the #817 also, since it ends Perth Amboy, though it doesn't really connect with anything)

In my SI Bus/Rail Fantasy Map, I have the S55 combined with the #813 to provide the best of both worlds.

To me, that may be a good peak direction rush-hour service, with a pickup at Eltingville TC and the Exit 2 Park and Ride, as a rush hour service to Raritan Center...or better yet, approach Academy Bus with the idea. I have to believe that a fair amount of SI residents may work at Raritan Center or in Metropark...and such a service has viability.

A lot of people going to the airport are turned off by a transfer, considering the fact that they have luggage. Personally, I think it should serve both Elizabeth NJT and Newark Airport. You provide a direct connection to a major rail line and an airport, without drastically increasing the travel distance.

A rather unusual idea:

S93 extension:

From College of SI

via Victory Blvd to Richmond Av

via Richmond Av until SI Expwy

via SI Expwy to Bayway Av, NJ

via Bayway Av to W Front St

via Grand St to Elizabeth NJT station (stop here)

via Grand Street to Spring Street

via Spring Street to Route 9

via Route 9 to Newark Airport

Stop at Terminals A, B, and C at EWR.

Archived