LIRR M7 DMU proof of concept

pelhamlocal

Well LIRR is looking at buying DMUs for service on diesel territories.

There's been talk of splitting the Oyster Bay from the Main Line and running DMU scoots up and down the line in order to reduce congestion at NASSAU.

Thats diesel???? looks shopped but i will do some research on it.

Triangle Transit went out of business so they never got the M7 DMUs. The Concept is probably scrapped by now. I wish the SPVs were as good as their grandpa's the RDC. Colorado Railcar DMUs are WORSE then the SPVs. I wish a good RDC 2.0 train came out because the RDC is dying quickly. Thank SEPTA and MBTA for that. They scrapped in total about 55 example of RDCs and turn 12 of them into push pull cars.

Yep, 4 built by Garrett, and 4 built by GE, then because of technical issues with failure and such, they were converted into straight EMU's, and put into MTA service on Metro North Lines until Metro North came into existence, then got scrapped once the M3A's came in. If you look at LIRR's Capital Plan, DMU's are under the plan for basically "Scoot" service to Greenport from Ronkonkoma to increase the services now extremely limited due to being mostly single track "Rule 251" territory (Manual Block Dark Signal). I forgot the maker, but there is another maker of DMU's who are making cars for Portland, which I believe is the front runner for LIRR's DMU's.

Not to nitpick but 251 isn't dark territory, it's ABS single direction only. And the DMUs would probably also be used on the montauk and possibly OB branch, not sure though. The Port Jeff definitely would not get the DMUs because IIRC it has the highest ridership of the diesel branches.

Yep, 4 built by Garrett, and 4 built by GE, then because of technical issues with failure and such, they were converted into straight EMU's, and put into MTA service on Metro North Lines until Metro North came into existence, then got scrapped once the M3A's came in. If you look at LIRR's Capital Plan, DMU's are under the plan for basically "Scoot" service to Greenport from Ronkonkoma to increase the services now extremely limited due to being mostly single track "Rule 251" territory (Manual Block Dark Signal). I forgot the maker, but there is another maker of DMU's who are making cars for Portland, which I believe is the front runner for LIRR's DMU's.

Neil, what would the difference be in a DMU set vs the DE30s with C3s Why cant they just increase service with what they have?

Archived